• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Operation Beast Mode Chimera

talunceford

One more question

I was wondering when you might have the diff housings back in stock for the Chimera. I understand that it might be a bit, but just curious as to when to start looking at the site again. There are a few other items that I would like to purchase from you that are currently out of stock.

Thanks again man!

Tim

Ol' fart

I have the metal for the diff cases but no time.

We do make a setup for the JetPro pipe the shocks mount low and inside the cage leaving room for the JetPro pipe. A plus is you don't have to remove the shocks to take the cage off. Sorry but I don't have a pic of that setup, I'll try to get a shot up and on the website too

talunceford

Ol said:
I have the metal for the diff cases but no time.We do make a setup for the JetPro pipe the shocks mount low and inside the cage leaving room for the JetPro pipe. A plus is you don't have to remove the shocks to take the cage off. Sorry but I don't have a pic of that setup, I'll try to get a shot up and on the website too
Awesome. Appreciate it.

designed2survive

talunceford said:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hpmrp/
Nice chimera you have!

talunceford

designed2survive said:
That engine is screaming for more space to run. Nice vid!
Thanks! Yes it is! I've just now started tuning the carb. It seems to be running REALLY well where I've got the carb settings at the moment. The last part of the video, I had a bit of a scare and the servo horn decided to come off the servo. The screw holding it on backed out. Soooo... I think I am in the market for a new servo setup for the throttle and steering. Still need to decide on a few different suspension upgrades.

talunceford

Upgraded my throttle servo -> Savox SA-1230SG

So I was attending a Sooners game this weekend and stopped by Hobbytown USA in Norman, Ok and picked up a Savox SA-1230SG for my throttle servo. They had several there, but none that I felt were strong enough to serve as my throttle/brake servo replacement, except for the SA-1230SG. The original Redcat servo eventually died on me a few weeks back and I had since then using a Tower Hobbies high torque servo that was out of an old 8th scale truck I had. Worked ok, but not the greatest. The Savox on the other hand is bad a$$. Super smooth and very very fast. Lots of torque for the brakes. Once the end points were adjusted properly, it has zero noise to it. The next order of business will be to get my steering servo upgraded as well. I use Savox servos in my camera gimbal on my large hex that I fly, and love the quality of them. Good investment so far.

talunceford

Drive shaft lengths?

I am looking at updating the center drive shafts and the outer drive lines. What lengths should I look for when I am researching which dogbones and drivelines to use? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

Tim

talunceford

So here are the servos that I upgraded to.

The steering servo is SUPER smooth and fast. Can't beat the quality of Savox. I have them on my 810mm hex and love them.

talunceford

crankestein said:
How much you paid for those work of art A-Arms? (and the servos)Looking good on your project.
Thanks man,

The full set of suspension components, upper a arms, lower control pieces (front and rear) were like $150 bucks shipped for front and rear (from rampageshop.com) The servos, well that is a different story lol! The savox servos, depending on where you buy them, range from 120 bucks for the steering, down to what I paid at 85 bucks for the steering and I think I paid 70 for the throttle at a local hobby shop in Norman, Ok. Now I don't have the bearing holders for the front and rear yet, those will cost at least another $120 bucks or so. I am debating over getting the 7075rc pieces or the Redcat pieces. I just need to flip a coin and do it. The one thing that I advise anyone with these rigs is to set your endpoints on your radio (if you have the capability to do so, not all radios do). It will reduce the strain on your servo, because you then match the physical capabilities of the car to the electronic range of the servo. Same goes for the throttle servo. You can tell when you have done it properly because you will eliminate the servo "noise/chatter" when your endpoints are set properly. Just a tidbit of info that I learned.

talunceford

crankestein said:
Certainly about the end points, the Futaba I use, old school frequency 3 ch radio w built in FS, will beep if the adjustments are not set correctly. If I continue turning/throttling but there is no more radius for the servo arm the Tx will beep and flash the led indicating to stop and adjust.(I still got in a box a bind radio, with fs rx for when me get a 1/5)

I already bought a kill switch, mix bottle, piston stopper, servo splitter, 5000 mah hump back battery, but I still don't have a 1/5, lol)

TY for the response, I have seen the servo price tag and at the beginning could not believe it. One servo costs more than a 1/8 nitro buggy roller, what the heck?, but reading thru the forums is one area one cannot take shortcuts, on servos.
No problem man. Everything with 1/5 scale is more expensive for sure. But, like anything rc, any time you increase the size closer to full scale, the price goes up. From the smallest bits to the servos we use. The savox are by no means the most expensive out there. There are some servos that for some reason cost as much as a dang RTR 1/5 scale. Why? lol! I have slowly upgraded my Chimera to the point it took on a different character, which is why I have now named it Insanity. I guess it depends on what a person intends on doing with it, as is with anything of any significant value. For me, I want to be able to bash and race reliably. To do that, you need to have enough power to compete AND to do it reliably, you have to start upgrading parts that fail. Initially that is easy to figure out because the weak points are instantly evident. As you go on, the failure points get smaller and smaller and usually take longer time to become apparent, which is where I am at now. Eventually all plastic bearing holders will be aluminum. The bearings will be replaced with higher quality bearings etc. Stuff breaks, but finding the necessary parts to try to eliminate the breakage is what I am doing ATM. I don't abuse my stuff as I don't see the need to do it. I am not easy on it by no means, but I don't jump it off of 30 foot drops to prove a point. I run it, race it, bash it and just have fun with it. Fix the small things that break, if and when they do. So, in a nut-shell there are some things to consider upgrading. The gear plate, go with the 7075rc one, the layshaft mount, again the 7075rc one and the center spool holders. 7075rc doesn't make them, so the Redcat parts are just fine. THOSE are the parts I would suggest replacing off the bat.

talunceford

DGI steering and rear camber adjustment links.

Well look what just showed up! These things are BEEFY!

camilio.salamandar

crankestein said:
Certainly about the end points, the Futaba I use, old school frequency 3 ch radio w built in FS, will beep if the adjustments are not set correctly. If I continue turning/throttling but there is no more radius for the servo arm the Tx will beep and flash the led indicating to stop and adjust.(I still got in a box a bind radio, with fs rx for when me get a 1/5)

I already bought a kill switch, mix bottle, piston stopper, servo splitter, 5000 mah hump back battery, but I still don't have a 1/5, lol)

TY for the response, I have seen the servo price tag and at the beginning could not believe it. One servo costs more than a 1/8 nitro buggy roller, what the heck?, but reading thru the forums is one area one cannot take shortcuts, on servos.
How much is this How much is that Lol I've seen you on the LOSI Forum sing the same song! If you have to ask then guess you can't afford! This is a hobby Everything cost so the next time you want to ask how much this and that is remember this.

talunceford

camilio.salamandar said:
How much is this How much is that Lol I've seen you on the LOSI Forum sing the same song! If you have to ask then guess you can't afford! This is a hobby Everything cost so the next time you want to ask how much this and that is remember this.
Well that was kinda brash don't you think? Honestly man, don't be a douche. We are all here to learn, if you can't at least abide by that and be respectful, there are other forums for you to act like that on.

camilio.salamandar

talunceford said:
Well that was kinda brash don't you think? Honestly man, don't be a douche. We are all here to learn, if you can't at least abide by that and be respectful, there are other forums for you to act like that on.
Telling somebody there being a "brash" douche versus saying "hey things cost in this hobby and if you want it you just want it.I didn't say how he is acting,I just stated what I stated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.