• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Operation Beast Mode Chimera

talunceford

RampageHopUps said:
Raise your hand if you have a Redcat and want to talk about them. If not, find another forum.

talunceford

Well the teardown has begun...

The teardown has begun and right off the bat I discovered some issues. Nothing major, just what I had suspected. Bearing failure on multiple fronts. The rear diff input shaft bearings were failing, but the biggest failure points were the bearings on the rear outdrives. All real gritty feeling, with one bearing completely locked up. My guess is that they are going to need some boots put on them before I batten up all of the drive cups. Still need to pull the engine and clean things up there, but all of the suspension components have been pulled or stripped and the plastic components that are going to be kept are taking a bath right now in the dish washer. We will see how things go this weekend. The rest of the bearings seemed to be ok, but all of the input shaft bearings and outdrive bearings are going to be replaced anyway. Hopefully the bearings will show up tomorrow. Not feeling hopeful about it, but we shall see.

talunceford

So... there you have it. Bearings should be here today. Plastic and some aluminum parts washed up. Time to pull the motor, check it out and wash it up. Dang these things get nasty lol.

Ice_2k

It's starting to look properly tough :D

designed2survive

Looking good!

First major weakness of the redcat x series is the transmission plate. You took care of that. The second one is the chassis flex that will destroy your diff and drivetrain components. Something to think about. You can get the 7075RC diffs or find a way to stiffen your chassis.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
It's starting to look properly tough :D
Thanks! I will have pic soon. It is all back together and everything is setup. The toe-in and camber is as close as I can get it without using a setup device, which I don't own, BUT 1-2 degrees of camber and toe in is pretty easy to guess. It isn't much lol! The rear is preset from the factory anyway. The aluminum internal roll cage is pretty sweet. We shall see how the bearings and whatnot hold up as soon as the weather becomes cooperative. Right now its blowing 40 and REALLY cold.

Ice_2k

Yeah, winter just started in Europe as well, it's already below freezing and going down.

talunceford

Video Update..

Please excuse me on this, early in the am and suffering from a winter cold.

talunceford

designed2survive said:
Looking good! First major weakness of the redcat x series is the transmission plate. You took care of that. The second one is the chassis flex that will destroy your diff and drivetrain components. Something to think about. You can get the 7075RC diffs or find a way to stiffen your chassis.
Thanks! As soon as they become available I will have a pair.

phreerider

very nice work man! add diff cup sleeves ! 7075rc has SS and also copper tubing works as well , Dogbone upgrade is super deluxe but without sleeves you'll bust the diff cup like nuts esp. when you rip hi speed on rougher terrain.

good stuff! keep it coming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts