• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Operation Beast Mode Chimera

talunceford

Hey all,

I figured I better start some sort of build log documenting the progress I've made since purchasing this Chimera in July. I purchased my Chimera SR, from a gent that used to sell them and had one stored in his storage shed for a couple years. As things went on I discovered that it had been demo'd for a group of people and was not "NEW" persay, as the motor had been supposedly broken in (no verification of this) etc. So I negotiated a reasonable price for it and got a pretty decent deal, I think. Since then I believe that I found every possible weak point in this vehicle. From gears, to exhaust, to fuel tanks that leak. You name it, I think I have found it. However, it has turned out to be a really fun project for me as someone that has been interested in the RC hobby for quite some time, but as we all know, the interest comes and goes with time as well. I just recently got back into the RC hobby by purchasing a multirotor (which I own 3 now), which eventually got me back into the RC car hobby in a round about way.

So, that is a bit of back story.....

Now on to the car...

Well it started out as a regular Chimera SR, I'm thinking circa 2013. I've since then added the 7075 aluminum gear plate and layshaft, the Jetpro tuned pipe, led lights for low light driving, the Flysky IT4 radio system and the ******** Superbee. I was a bit leary about the flysky, but it has proven to be a really good radio system. The last purchase I made was for an OBR 34cc reed case race engine. The gearing issue, hopefully has been rectified by adding in the plate and the layshaft support. I am also chatting with Sean from OBR about getting a new set of gears (billet) for the rampage series of vehicles. Something that is a bit more durable, especially in higher output engine situations. Drivetrain should be the least of a person's worry. Plastic parts will always be the weak link, however the gears should never be. Hopefully by this winter I will have the Chimera where I want it and can feel 100% confident that the only parts that "SHOULD" fail under extreme conditions will be the plastic ones. We shall see. As far as what the pricing for the gears will be, I have nothing on that. I am guessing the prototypes aren't even done yet.

So at this stage, I am to the point of waiting on my engine to be built and sent out to me. Once that is done, replacement bearings on all axles, and aluminum center diff supports are next in line. I am still trying to locate some dogbones that are more substantial, but will fit the Chimera's geometry. The search is on for those. I hope someone eventually comes out with the aluminum/steel version of the diff case too. I think that would be a good investment.

The only downside to the Rampage line is that there seems to not be as many aftermarket parts available. Which I don't mind too aweful much, however, it would be nice to see some other companies come out with parts.

So as I get more pics, I will post them here.

talunceford

Ok, I've had enough time to get a few things done on the Chimera. Purchased some Proline Trenchers and some Proline Splitsix rims. Wasn't anticipating the size difference. I still have to get the foam for the fronts, but have foam for the rears. Kindof a pain in the arse to get installed. I still need to get the adapters for the hubs and once that is done, I can start running the new rims and tires. Here is a pic.

talunceford

More pics

The picture above is of the tank plug that bought from davesmotors.com. Comes with a billet check valve. I opted to go with the brass fittings for a cleaner look and better functionality.

This last picture is of the g340rc installed. Can't wait to get it running. Still have to install the superbee.

talunceford

ROCKHEART said:
Looking good! Will there be running vids?
Oh yeah. Just performed the first heat cycle on the engine. Letting it cool down now. Fired up on the 3rd pull. Running it real rich on the low end right now. Going to do another couple heat cycles on the engine, and hopefully by then I will have figured out what to do about the throttle linkage. With a reed motor, the carb is in a funky angled position, sooooo the normal throttle linkage doesn't work, nor does the servo horn. So I am going to have to figure something out for that. I might have a solution, but need a longer throttle linkage rod.

phreerider

nice choice on the tires best all arounds for sure. on the street they will wear fast!.

good stuff man.

you gotta do a custom throttle link for casefeed mills, couple bends and its on! thats gonna be nice ! running without the remote kill is very risky esp. with stock Tx/Rx.

talunceford

phreerider said:
nice choice on the tires best all arounds for sure. on the street they will wear fast!. good stuff man.

you gotta do a custom throttle link for casefeed mills, couple bends and its on! thats gonna be nice ! running without the remote kill is very risky esp. with stock Tx/Rx.
Yessir, I don't run it without the Superbee. Love that little bit of insurance. Well worth the 50-60 bucks you pay for it.

talunceford

Got the throttle linkage made. Have to purchase another servo horn for the throttle. The one I am using has seen better days. Trimmed one side of it down too much and lost some leverage potential for the brakes. It is adjusted to give me braking, but not the most ideal of solutions. New servo horn on the way. Will get pics of it soon.

talunceford

Started break in today.....

Well, on my lunch break today, I started the break in process of project "Insanity". The throttle response of this OBR reed case engine is ridiculous. Slow and methodical is the way I am doing it. 15 min run, 15 min cool down. Slowly work my way up in throttle position. Seems to be running around 92.3 - 112+ degrees F depending on how fast I'm running it now. I will try and get some video of the truck running tonight when I start the break in process again. It seems to want to idle around 2800-3200 rpm. Anyway, back at it...

talunceford

3rd tank of fuel. 1/2 throttle driving. The engine has massive amounts of torque. Pretty boring stuff, except when it comes up on the pipe LOL!

phreerider

unit sounds good! that thing should instantly rip to peak with ZERO lag!

talunceford

phreerider said:
unit sounds good! that thing should instantly rip to peak with ZERO lag!
Yeah it has some serious kahones. My biggest worry right now is the diff gears. The transmission gears are solid. The amount of torque this 34cc puts out is staggering.

phreerider

diff gears, are solid. the boxes need help.

breakage comes from terrain choice and throttle control.

phreerider

the diff cup sleeves are a most if you haven't already added that. the most breakage i ever experienced is when the tire weight goes up, like wet dirt sticking to everything.

the pins in the diff or the diff cup ends will break before the gearing.. they are tough but have limits. no worries man! wind it up and wear it out.

talunceford

phreerider said:
the diff cup sleeves are a most if you haven't already added that. the most breakage i ever experienced is when the tire weight goes up, like wet dirt sticking to everything.the pins in the diff or the diff cup ends will break before the gearing.. they are tough but have limits. no worries man! wind it up and wear it out.
Sweet, I will get them on order.

Ice_2k

Really curious how your transmission holds, I'm also looking for engine alternatives and I obviously want as much power as possible but I don't want to start breaking transmission parts every time I run it. Please post some tarmac running when you're done breaking it in and tuning it :)

What clutch are you using? The normal 6k or the 8k? I'm thinking with such a powerhouse, maybe the 6k is a better idea, to protect the transmission from ridiculously tough shocks.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
Really curious how your transmission holds, I'm also looking for engine alternatives and I obviously want as much power as possible but I don't want to start breaking transmission parts every time I run it. Please post some tarmac running when you're done breaking it in and tuning it :) What clutch are you using? The normal 6k or the 8k? I'm thinking with such a powerhouse, maybe the 6k is a better idea, to protect the transmission from ridiculously tough shocks.
Im running the upgraded gear plate from 7075rc and it seems to be holding up nicely :) . I spoke with Sean at OBR and he said that if the drivetrain is hardened, it shouldn't have one bit of trouble handling the output of the mill. It is a monster for sure. I'm still not leaning on the throttle much yet LOL!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts