• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Operation Beast Mode Chimera

talunceford

phreerider said:
very nice work man! add diff cup sleeves ! 7075rc has SS and also copper tubing works as well , Dogbone upgrade is super deluxe but without sleeves you'll bust the diff cup like nuts esp. when you rip hi speed on rougher terrain. good stuff! keep it coming.
Thanks man! Been waiting for 7075rc to get those back in stock. There are a few things left to do on this build. I am going to upgrade the diff housings to aluminum. Upgrade the front shock mount to aluminum part as well. I have the hardened drive cups, but after you mentioned what you did, I am wondering about those as well. I still need to check on the gear set from OBR to see how it is progressing. As the weather allows, I will post more stuff! Thanks again for the suggestions and comments!

talunceford

Great bash... until...

Well, I had a pretty decent bash session (bash is a good word for it LOL!) on Sunday. Up until the point of where I got a bit too crazy rounding a corner on some gravel and ended up mixing it up with a culvert marker. Needless to say, the marker won and Insanity got kinda banged up. Nothing too major, just a bumper and the front portion of the body broke. I think that it being a bit on the chilly side made the body panels REALLY brittle. The video below captures it all and a post game report follows the mayhem. One thing that I did notice after I tore everything down and I noticed this a while back, was that the rear diff seemed like it was binding a bit on the input pinion / ring gear. Almost like it was missing teeth. Well, I tore the rear of the car down and noticed that there was a TON of slop in the input shaft area of the diff housing. Initially I thought, crap, bearings again, but not the case. It seems that the case, where the bearings for the input shaft sit, did not fit tightly around the bearings. It caused the input shaft to not sit solid in the bearings and had a lot of play in it. Needless to say, the binding was being caused by the slop. The amount of friction that was being generated had to be enormous and robbing horsepower from reaching the ground. The good thing is, is that I am ordering a complete new rear end for Insanity. Case, gears o rings. etc. I think once that is fixed, I will have a good performance increase, just by fixing the gear binding issues. Yes there was metal shavings in the diff housing too. Not good. Anyway, issues are on the mend.

[video=youtube;YdeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdeI...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:

John Blaze

You can buy the 7075rc diff case from Vancouver hobbies website.They have quite a few parts from 7075rc in stock right now

talunceford

Freakin' sweet!

Ok, now it is time to finally finish this thing! Might end up waiting to order the parts then. Front and rear diff housings.

designed2survive

Looks like you need better tires suited for your terrain. That thing is literally spinning wheels like crazy.

talunceford

designed2survive said:
Looks like you need better tires suited for your terrain. That thing is literally spinning wheels like crazy.
Yeah the tires I have on it are suited for wetter soil. With the parking lot of the baseball field being gravel, it doesn't get traction for crap. Put some moisture on the surface and she moves.

talunceford

So here is the video that I filmed back in January. Dry out, but it was getting much better traction and I don't think my rear diff was thrashed either. I have to say, it was running pretty well that day. The tune was spot on.

[video=youtube;EIVqkICCokA]

talunceford

So I took the rear diff apart and noticed one thing when I did. It was missing half of the internal gears. Not like they were broke and missing, but just missing. Either I didn't put it back together correctly last summer OR it came from the factory that way. I know my front diff has all of the gears, but the back one doesn't. Needless to say, I was a tad shocked. Anyway, the diff should be back together tonight and I should have it up and running this weekend.

talunceford

Omg...

So yeah, that is what I was thinking after I took Insanity out tonight. I finished the repairs today. The rear end is super smooth now. That being said, the increase in performance is stupid. There isn't near the amount of friction as was before which results in WAY more power being put to the tires. So, what does this mean? Well it means I will have to relearn how to drive it again because of the unhinged stupidity that is on tap with the squeeze of the left index finger. I will get some video of it running tomorrow. Word of advice, check the bearing tolerances from time to time on the diff housings. It affects the cars performance immensely if they are out of whack.

talunceford

Savox 1230sg died

Well, nothing like having your throttle servo die on you WHILE you are running. Thank God for the kill switch. Anyway, I replaced the servo, and installed an aluminum servo horn with threaded mounting holes. This seems to work much better for the setup I have, especially with the reed case motor that I have. Now, the only downside to this, is that I will have to rework the throttle linkage to eliminate some play that it has. Not really satisfied with it. Need to rework the geometry a bit. The brake linkage will need to be reworked as well. I believe that I am going to look into a different type of air filter setup for it. One that doesn't have a metal case around it. The diameter of the air filter is just too big. It interferes with the throttle linkage. Also, I was having an issue with getting the OBR to start. I believe that the issue lies in the carb gasket being bad. So, I will change those as well. Small things. It runs REALLY well when the stars line up and everything decides it wants to function as it should LOL!

talunceford

Everything is A OK!

Well, the parts finally arrived (new air filter, carb gaskets new outerwears stuff). I have to say that the new air filter works perfectly, doesn't interfere with the throttle linkage at all and seems to provide more filtration than the prior filter setup. The carb gasket seems to have fixed my starting issue. So word to the wise, check your plugs, check your tank venting setup (the hole in the filler cap or in my case the billet vent in the tank grommet) and check your carb gasket. Once I replaced the gasket, it started just like normal. Ran like a dream, albeit a tad on the rich side now. So, the only thing I have to do now is to re make my throttle linkage and rebuild my brake linkage. With the new servo horn, it kinda jacked the alignment of the brake linkage up a bit. Other than that it seems to be working just fine and running like a top.

Now I can focus on the suspension a bit. I think that the springs might be a tad too stiff. Any suggestions?

Here is the link to the air filter. I suggest this one because of the reed case engine and the use of a velocity stack.

http://www.davesmotors.com/DT1-Large-Scale-RC-Foam-Filter-Triple-Flow-DT1-1003.html

I also purchased this with it.

http://www.davesmotors.com/Outerwears-Pre-Filter-for-TGN-DT1-Filter-Black-20-2683-01.html

talunceford

Hey all,

I had one stellar bash session tonight. Sorry, no video. I seriously think as time goes on this engine keeps making more and more power, otherwise, I hadn't really got into the power band until tonight. HOLY CRAP! Honestly, I don't think I got into the upper power band of the engine until tonight. Even on a gravel surface, this thing is a rocket! I ended up bending a rear dogbone, one of the MCD dogbones I purchased not too long ago. Not real sure how I did that. I think I will take it out and try and straighten it. I believe that the issues have been pretty much solved with the engine not priming properly. The tune in the carb seems to be just spot on for this setup as well. Gonna need a new set of tires pretty soon LOL!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.