• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Operation Beast Mode Chimera

Ice_2k

Mine came with the metal gear plate from the factory, I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue. The stuff I'm worried about are the gears themselves (they're not made from the best metal as far as I understand) (the belt drive might be an option here), the drive cups and the pins in the dog bones...

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
Really curious how your transmission holds, I'm also looking for engine alternatives and I obviously want as much power as possible but I don't want to start breaking transmission parts every time I run it. Please post some tarmac running when you're done breaking it in and tuning it :) What clutch are you using? The normal 6k or the 8k? I'm thinking with such a powerhouse, maybe the 6k is a better idea, to protect the transmission from ridiculously tough shocks.
I believe that it comes with the 8k. It seems to handle the shock just fine. Tires on the other hand..... The biggest thing a person needs to adjust is throttle management. With this much power on tap, a person needs to relearn how to drive it a bit. I know I am. It is almost like having it on a brushless motor and lots of cells.

Ice_2k

yeah, I can imagine. I'm having this issue (spinning the tires all the time) even with the stock 32cc after adding the 8k clutch and the jetpro exhaust, so I can imagine how this monster is behaving...

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
Mine came with the metal gear plate from the factory, I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue. The stuff I'm worried about are the gears themselves (they're not made from the best metal as far as I understand) (the belt drive might be an option here), the drive cups and the pins in the dog bones...
I am working with Sean from OBR to come up with some billet gears for our vehicles. He sent a set to his gear maker to make up some. I know he ordered 10 sets to be made. I told him that they would sell like hot cakes. Not sure of the price yet.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
yeah, I can imagine. I'm having this issue (spinning the tires all the time) even with the stock 32cc after adding the 8k clutch and the jetpro exhaust, so I can imagine how this monster is behaving...
Yep, I am doing a constant search on the net to find hardened replacements for components on the vehicle. Youtube helps a bit. I know there was a gent out there that found hardened dogbones made by mcp or mip or something like that that worked. I know Redcat makes a set of hardened drive cups too. Finding them on the other hand is a bit of a chore.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
Some harder gears would definetely be welcome!
Yeah, the gears that are the "steel" gears for Redcat are what they call "powder steel" gears. If you can imagine, powdered steel pressed into the form of a gear at super high pressures. That is why if you look at a stripped gear they don't look like billet steel. Its because they aren't. It keeps the cost down for sure, but adds to our expense in the end, because they don't last for very long.

Ice_2k

I have the hardened drive cups (they're brown instead of black), they seem to be fine for the stock engine, even with 8k and jetpro and agressive driving on tarmac, using tarmac tires. I think you can get them directly from Redcat. I know they're now working on sleeved drive cups but they didn't release them just yet.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
I have the hardened drive cups (they're brown instead of black), they seem to be fine for the stock engine, even with 8k and jetpro and agressive driving on tarmac, using tarmac tires. I think you can get them directly from Redcat. I know they're now working on sleeved drive cups but they didn't release them just yet.
Nice. It is a tinkerers hobby for sure, which is why I love it so much.

talunceford

Got the hub adapters in and on. Wheels assembled and ready to go.

12107242_10208277852249454_509898444007713923_n.jpg

12107242_10208277852249454_509898444007713923_n.jpg

/monthly_2015_10/12107242_10208277852249454_509898444007713923_n.jpg.48c6fd67d1b341062aa82098087c641b.jpg

talunceford

talunceford said:
Got the hub adapters in and on. Wheels assembled and ready to go.
After looking at it a full day with them on the Chimera, I am not really sure I like the 7 1/2" tall tires. I think they would look fine on a larger chassis, but not on this smaller chassis. So I am going with a different set of tires. Something that isn't so tall. I found some Hostile knock off tire / rim combinations on ebay that I am going to try. Same width for the front / rear (2 1/2 and 3 1/4 respectively) as the trenchers, but about an inch shorter. The hubs are awesome however, they add about 2" of width to the stance of the truck. Should make it more stable in the corners, not that it isn't already.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
Can't wait to see this bad boy at full speed :D
Me too! Was going to run it this weekend, but we will see how the weather holds up. Got a different set of tires coming. Some that are about an inch shorter than the trenchers. The Trenchers are just too tall for my liking.

talunceford

New rims and tires.....

Much better!

If you are in the Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado region, check out our facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hpmrp/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' fart

Nice build but you don't have a sway bar in back. A cheap upgrade that will have a huge improvement on the way the Chimera handles.

talunceford

Ol said:
Nice build but you don't have a sway bar in back. A cheap upgrade that will have a huge improvement on the way the Chimera handles.
So do I use the front sway bar for the rear? You are right, that would make a huge difference.

talunceford

Ol said:
I do have a question, what would be the chance of having a rear shock tower that works with the Jetpro pipe? I don't even know if that is possible. If it isn't, that is cool too. Thanks again, for your products man, they are top notch. They seem to be holding up nicely with the high hp engine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online