• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Turning Radius?!?!

ChuenouXiao

Omg I had so much fun today.... The camber and toe adjustment really help on the steering :) I was busting perfect donut consistently. Now I got to setup cones and record me busting around the corner with my power slide :) whewwww!!!!!

GoffeeRedCat

Ok so after I ran the XT I decided to fully clean it..I took both of the servos off and the engine!! When I put it all back I decided to run it on-road (high speed runs kinda boring lol) I noticed that the right front wheel seem to shake/jerk when it turns and accelerate!! and also the turning radius sucks again!! Is that caused by my semi/maybe broken servo saver? Or do I just suck at life!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuenouXiao

GoffeeRedCat said:
Ok so after I ran the XT I decided to fully clean it..I took both of the servos off and the engine!! When I put it all back I decided to run it on-road (high speed runs kinda boring lol) I noticed that the right front wheel seem to shake/jerk when it turns and accelerate!! and also the turning radius sucks again!! Is that caused by my semi/maybe broken servo saver? Or do I just suck at life!!
About your tires shake or jerking, did you elevate your XT when not in use or do you place it on the ground? Regarding your servo saver, if you have to just take your time and take a closer look. I notice its a bit tricky to even un-mount it :D

G

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. You could also have a stripped wheel.

GoffeeRedCat

Checked out the bearings they spin freely!! But I noticed that the pin from the CVD is loose and was slightly hitting the screw from the c-hub!! I'm gonna center the pin after dinner and shorten the screw little bit

G

That'll do it. Glad you figured it out!

DMZamora

There is very little clearance on various spots of the drivetrain. This is just one of them.

I've found that extending the suspension arms too far down causes serious binding on the drivecups, that's why they are known to break so often. A very little more play, enlarging the cup or making the dogbone ends smaller a few tenths of a milimeter, would fix that. But it seems that our cats are supposed to sit low.

G

Lower equals better cornering :)

If you add a piece of fuel line in the back of each drive cup it will keep the dogbone centered and help with the binding during full suspension droop.

DMZamora

RCDAD said:
Lower equals better cornering :) If you add a piece of fuel line in the back of each drive cup it will keep the dogbone centered and help with the binding during full suspension droop.
For sure, but some of us prefer ground clearance instead of 60kph cornering on asphalt or grass :)

And even sitting high, the cats are WAY more stable than any 1/8 monster truck, so no loss here.

I fact, I did the fuel line trick since day 1, but this made me find another clearance issue. At least on the XT, and as weird as this can sound, the dogbones are too long. Ok, it's a good thing to prevent them from pulling out of the cups.

But with the addition of the fuel line pieces, there are no more clearance on the cups when the arms are at full down position. This causes the dogbone to press the diff case inwards and, depending on the side, to cause binding or slack between the crown gear and the pinion. A 1mm deeper drivecup would get rid of this...

And yes, my diffs are properly shimmed, the issue here is lack of clearance and plastic diff cases playing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online