• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Turning Radius?!?!

RampageHopUps

The servo saver does nothing for turning radius or turning speed. It only works when you hit something and then it spreads apart to lessen the shock load.

ChuenouXiao

RampageHopUps said:
The servo saver does nothing for turning radius or turning speed. It only works when you hit something and then it spreads apart to lessen the shock load.
Right... but if you tighten the servo saver a bit, it will come closer and engage more with the turn?

G

ChuenouXiao said:
Rcdad so if I loosen the servo saver, meaning space the saver farther apart.... does that mean my XB will turn easier? Or isn't it the other way around? The saver closer together is when I get better radius?
The servo saver is the 2 piece post with the spring and nut on the top. The 2 halves lock harder together the tighter the nut is pushing down on the spring.

When the nut is backed off the spring is loose and the two halves seperate when the wheel forces the steering linkage.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
The servo saver only would slow the steering on the ground.You should check your EPA (end point adjustment) DR (dual rate) on the stock radio.

Unhook your steering servo and see how far the wheels steer. Your servo should push them just as far.
I see what you mean, by the servo saver only slow the steering on the ground. You're talking about when the car is stationary.... I see what you mean :D

G

You can see the post on the right is two piece.

The nut and spring keeps the two halves mated.

Loosen up that nut and spring and there is give.

G

ChuenouXiao said:
Wow... is there an advantage to owning aluminum piece like this comparing to the stock black plastic? Is this a XT servo saver?
None really. It can actually get stuck if sand gets in there. The plastic works fine.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
You can see the post on the right is two piece.The nut and spring keeps the two halves mated.

Loosen up that nut and spring and there is give.
Right, so if I tighten the two piece together.... I will have more give or turn radius? Or is it the other way around? Loosen the piece and I will turn better?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

If you tighten it just locks it up. Has no effect on the radius.

If it is too loose the wheels will respond slower when you do a hard turn.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
If you tighten it just locks it up. Has no effect on the radius.If it is too loose the wheels will respond slower when you do a hard turn.
I have to test my new servo mount and aluminum steering post to see if my turning is better and more consistent; will get back to you guys :D

DMZamora

Just to clarify things, it's good to remember that a 4WD vehicle will always have a bad turning radius when under hard acceleration. Some people just step on the gas and then "Uh, my vehicle can't turn!" :)

ChuenouXiao

DMZamora said:
Just to clarify things, it's good to remember that a 4WD vehicle will always have a bad turning radius when under hard acceleration. Some people just step on the gas and then "Uh, my vehicle can't turn!" :)
Yea I agree but from me deceleration my XB on a turn, it still act like it can't turn sometime. Seems like a higher power mah battery help a bit but not very much. I think you do have point and will take that to heart. Appreciate it bud :D

Deluge

GoffeeRedCat said:
one other thing ive noticed!! when the truck is at a stand still and im turning the wheels they barely move!!! it that normal?? do i need to tighten the servo saver?? or do i leave it alone??
If it's the stock servo, it's because it's weak. If you have an aftermarket servo, you'll have to tighten up the servo saver, a bit.

Deluge

DMZamora said:
This is true.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
I have to test my new servo mount and aluminum steering post to see if my turning is better and more consistent; will get back to you guys :D
Sweet! Hopefully it works out for you.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Right... but if you tighten the servo saver a bit, it will come closer and engage more with the turn?
It'll give you a more direct feel. If the servo saver is too loose, it'll absorb some of the force from the servo, which will give you weak steering. Doesn't effect turn radius unless the servo saver is sloppy.

Deluge

GoffeeRedCat said:
It's only doing it at a stand still..when it's rolling it seems to be fine so I don't thinks it's the diff fluid plus I got my turning radius problem pretty much solve by putting a little bit of positive toe and camber....I think it maybe the ginormous tires....then again I'm about to get taller and bigger tires sent out to me tomorrow so may not help lol
Kinda like driving a car with no power steering. At a stand still it's a bitch to turn, but once you get rolling it's a lot easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online