• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

my chimera won't start.........just replaced gears....

talunceford

Press the trigger on the transmitter so that the throttle is wide open on the engine.

WOT = Wide open throttle....

Ice_2k

With the radio turned on, keep the trigger on the remote (the one you use to accelerate) pulled completely, just like you do when you want to give it maximum acceleration. While doing that, pull the pull starter. I had some situations when the car would only start this way.

Edit: Looks like talunceford beat me to it :)

Chimera

Thanks guys :)

I will try that. I thought i was getting too much fuel but i guess it's worth a shot.

I did rip the cord yesterday after so many pulls :D so i'll have to fix that first. The allen screw holding the mechanism in place doesn't want to turn though, so i first have to drill that out and replace the rope, but the WOT idea is the first thing I'll do after that.

thank you both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

Chimera said:
I thought i was getting too much fuel but i guess it's worth a shot.
that's exactly what this procedure is used for, too much fuel in the mix.

talunceford

Chimera said:
Thanks guys :)I will try that. I thought i was getting too much fuel but i guess it's worth a shot.

I did rip the cord yesterday after so many pulls :D so i'll have to fix that first. The allen screw holding the mechanism in place doesn't want to turn though, so i first have to drill that out and replace the rope, but the WOT idea is the first thing I'll do after that.

thank you both.
I ended up just buying a new pull start. 10 bucks.

Chimera

talunceford said:
I ended up just buying a new pull start. 10 bucks.
yeah, i destroyed the old one trying to take the damn bolt out. where did you find it for 10 bucks? link?

Mine is arriving today...15 bucks from ebay.

talunceford

Chimera said:
yeah, i destroyed the old one trying to take the damn bolt out. where did you find it for 10 bucks? link?Mine is arriving today...15 bucks from ebay.
I was mistaken, I purchased it for 22 bucks. Not sure where I got 10.

Chimera

Ok, I replaced the pull start. turned the choke lever to the right (as i always used to), and pulled (with and without WOT); there wasn't a "clearing of the pipes" sound (as it always produces when everything is fine). then switched the choke lever to the other side and pulled hoping it would start....but nope.

still have no idea what's going on. what's the next strategy?

talunceford

You might need to reset your carb. 1 1/4 for the low and 1 1/2 for the high. Needles that is. Try it without the air cleaner just to see if there is air restriction. One thing, does it pull real easy or does it pull like it has some compression. Compression should be kinda tough to pull.

Chimera

talunceford said:
You might need to reset your carb. 1 1/4 for the low and 1 1/2 for the high. Needles that is. Try it without the air cleaner just to see if there is air restriction. One thing, does it pull real easy or does it pull like it has some compression. Compression should be kinda tough to pull.
Yes, reset the carb 1 1/4 and 1.5 Low and High respectively.

Also took out the air cleaner. No difference. (although, there is some liquid fuel present when I remove the filter. too much fuel maybe?)

it doesn't pull easy....or hard....sort of like before i replaced the pull system. there's definitely resistance, but i can pull one or two every second like before.

RampageHopUps

The stock setting on the carb are only a starting point. If I were to guess, you need to turn in the needles 1/8 of a turn and try starting it. Then turn in more until it starts. Once you get it started, you can tune while it's running.

Chimera

RampageHopUps said:
The stock setting on the carb are only a starting point. If I were to guess, you need to turn in the needles 1/8 of a turn and try starting it. Then turn in more until it starts. Once you get it started, you can tune while it's running.
given the strong smell of fuel, i'd say the air needs to be increased if anything. which one do i adjust by 1/8th? turn left or right?

talunceford said:
Fuel lines aren't backwards are they?
hmm....how can I tell? i don't think i've changed anything, but please let me know and i'll check.

Chimera

talunceford said:
Right turn
RampageHopUps said:
Low speed needle 1/8 clockwise.
Guys,

so i've done alot of combinations and still no luck.

ps. the 15 dollar pull start i mentioned failed on me...so i went and bought a legit HPI part and it's so much better! lol you get what you pay for.

Anyway, the only other thing i could think of was to replace the gas/oil mixture. The mixture is from 1 year ago and i thought maybe the quality is bad. So, i'll be making a fresh batch today and trying it again. It's so weird because i have spark, everything looks to be in working order, no burst pipes, the exhaust is nice and tight, filter is brand new and clean.....

it must be the fuel.......

anyways, if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts