• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Why do some people hate Redcat so much?

Phill

cordy said:
Because they cant face the fact that for the entry level price you get a decent platform 4wd,and with a few upgrades you start to be competive.They start out at the $1200 level then start thier upgradeing. The only thing they have is the aftermarket support. This is starting to change with 7075 rc`s stuff,the grafil bodys, and the belt drive.They don't complain about mcd`s,celon`s,horman`s,hurrax`s,fg`s cuz thier expensive. They don't know nutech exist`s. Really because the hobby shops just promote hpi.Then we had the clone invasion.That changed the ball game also. How could the average father buy two $1200 platforms for himself and one for his kids? You can buy two redcats for the price of one hpi,now with two platforms you can have one ready to roll when one breaks,or you can race,or bash with your kids ,wich is priceless quality time.Now look at the losi it`s a bigger money pit than hpi.Why do you think your seeing more hpi`s for sale,cuz these people are trying to offset the cost of the losi.When you spank a hpi,or losi this just adds fuel to the fire,but great satisfaction for the cats.When hpi was the only game in town everyone was making money . Now others are makeing money and hpi people don't like it.Bottom line its all about the benjamans.Enjoy your redcat no matter what anybody says.
I had thought about upgrading to a Losi but here in Oz they're $2k then you gotta get a decent motor and pipe so it's getting close to $3k

My DR with upgrades owes me about $1200 and it's great

Can't get that value anywhere else

Yes I was pi**ed with it at the start but only because I didn't know what I was doing

This forum has been an immense help

PS The Oz forums are all HPI centric

If you haven't got a Baja they don't want to know you

If only they knew how much better 4WD is!

Ice_2k

Why do some people hate Redcat so much?

Phill said:
Yes I was pi**ed with it at the start but only because I didn't know what I was doing
I think it's also worth noting that Redcat kept improving their rigs over the years so if you get a DR today you have a LOT of upgrades compared to how it looked when it first launched.

REVOlutionary Rampage

My truck has it's quirks and had a bit of a learning curve when I first got it. But, as someone who has had tuning nightmare nitro's, nearly silent electrics of various brands, and has been in the hobby 20+ years. My other trucks have been gathering dust since I got my MT.

Secondly, as far as a brand most of my breakages have been user related. Not due to Redcat.

therealrsr

I bought the Chimera to have a second car for friends to drive when I had my highly modified 5b ss out. Still love the 5b on a track or tarmac for pure driving fun, but for bashing (which is at least 75% of my available time) the Chimera wins. Redcat's reputation on some of the large scale forums is complete fan boy crap.

phreerider

for the seasoned hobbyist, its a great price break to the steep $ for other stuff. with the same time and fun. ..but for some the ego is attached to the purchase.

for the NON hobbyist, a very difficult first step and the attractive $ just sucks them in, despite no wrench skill, and as mentioned, weak pilot skills.

weaker pilot skills require tougher hardware...might be a correlation there.

most(nonhobbyist) think "its just something you buy". ...then reality shows up

... knowledge and skill not included

therealrsr

phreerider said:
for the NON hobbyist, a very difficult first step and the attractive $ just sucks them in, despite no wrench skill, and as mentioned, weak pilot skills. weaker pilot skills require tougher hardware...might be a correlation there.
That's a really good point. But I still enjoy flaming the fan boys:)

designed2survive

Every brand breaks. Some harder than others. Stock doesn't cut it. Upgrades are going to happen regardless of the brands (engine, drivetrain, electronics).

At the end you have two owners with each a somewhat tough and abuse ready car. Difference is, one spent less.

If one car ended up being more robust than the other, that car had more aftermarket support and ended up costing even more at the end.

A 5B or Losi 5ive would not have this huge aftermarket support if they were flawless in stock form.

After market support is vital in this hobby.

Thinking about it, I may chime in and start one.

Last edited by a moderator:

307_Proud

Excellent Topic!

I am not even a Redcat owner YET! I have been in the market for a 5th scale for some time now. HPI was on my mind until things got ralist and the $1300 price tag just wouldn't work out for me. I was pointed in this direction, I join the forum and you have all been a huger help in my decisions'. Not to mention the MT being a huge factor in what I want in a 5th scale. HPI has the Octane that sports a 15cc power plant, weak! I already own an Associated MGT 8.0 and satisfied with that minus the tuning situations. I came across Redcat purely on accident and Im sold! I see parts and upgrades and Im already sold. not to mention the help right here. Ive owned Traxxas as well and Im not the person to call on when It comes to who's best, but when a product suits that persons needs, you damn right they are the best! Im not about to go out and spend $1200 - $2000 on an rc that I take out on the weekends to bash! I even called LargeScale RC and he tried to sel me the LOSi 5T when I wasn't even looking for a SC style truck, and went on about how poor the Redcat engines were and how he doesn't have much experience with Redcat. How do you even know bud is what I said to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCount

alfred e numan said:
yes, its like ford is better than dodge- on and on. i enjoy the AU -europe sites, they do not behave in such a shallow manner in these countries- large scale r-c puts on a good event every year- all are welcome. pity gasoline prices are so high---
For starters, Fords suck. GM all the way. And on some Aussie forums, and even on the street/ in hobby shops. I have been told " get rid of that piece of shit and buy a HPI " my response is usually " if I spend the same amount on mine as just the cost of a HPI, it would wipe the floor with yours AND it's 4wd.

Ildy666

In America GM stands for government motors because they had there hand out for help so they can fly around in there corporate jets and as for Ford they were beating Toyota 's Ass when GM was closing dealerships.i was a A -tech at chevy for 5 years in the late 90's I wouldn't drive one if u bought it ...junk....you stick to your gm powered aussie car/truck and I'll keep driving the number 1 selling truck in America for 35 years my FORD truck....gm better then ford ...please. dodge is out selling gm now.gm is 3rd possibly 4th in the us truck market toyota is out selling them...

Ice_2k

This is the exact same discussion on the european forums, only there is about Audi vs BMW :) )))

Ildy666

TheCount said:
Lol, yeah but you wish you had my car though [emoji12]
Not really too low I live north jersey it snows alot .u couldn't do alot with that in winter now lift it throw in some 4wd and now we're talking...

Ildy666

Ice_2k said:
This is the exact same discussion on the european forums, only there is about Audi vs BMW :) )))
In America say what you want but we are proud of our big abnoxcious horse powered trucks either gas or diesel God bless America!!!

alfred e numan

i have a 84 ford van. 302, 4od tranny. about a 4k motor, gram sheet, tranny-engine oil coller with thermostat- melling hi volume oil pump- full crane truck power cam-chain-valve springs- ect-- barry grant road demon jr, 626 vacum secondaries-- on and on-- put a 7.5 stardard flo power valve in it-- have a vacume gauge in the dash, keep it out of the power valve and it gets about 25 mpg. people tenddto stay away from it too, might scratch there rides!! actually, there is a "magic" rod to stroke ratio. it comes out to 302 ci. a 302 is a stroked 289-- just saying--

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online