• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

VERY disappointing experience with Rampage XB

freekshow

I don't mean to offend anyone so my apologies if I do, but I cant help but to express my UTTER and COMPLETE dissatisfaction with my new Redcat Rampage XB. I received it thursday. Upon opening the box the radio box was smashed and the radio is cracked and has a chunk broken off of the steering wheel. The body also has a big white crease on the nose of itfrom the plastic being bent so far out of shape. No outside damage to the box, seems to be a packing error INSIDE the box. They had the radio box wedged in between the wheel hub and the side of the box... not real happy about that but i guess we have to make due as all customer support is closed...I Tightened all screws and charged the battery so I could break it in Friday.Mixed the oil and gas to 20:1 like they recommend. Idled the unit for a tank like they recommended. Seemed to idle a bit high but because I am new to the hobby I assume they had it that way from the factory. Started up on 4th pull and idled for about 1/2 an hour. Shut it down and let it cool off for a couple hours and restarted it to drive at no more than1/4 throttle for a tank as recommended. It started up after 4 or 5 pullsand ran excellentfor about ten minutes and then all of the sudden it popped and sputtered for a moment or two anytime you gave it some gas to accelerate. About ten seconds of popping and stuttering and it shut off and will not restart...for over 500 dollars I would have hoped to get more than 10 minutes of use out of it... its the holiday weekend and I wanted to have the rig ready so I could show it off to family and friends coming over but MORE importantly my granddaughter, who helped me pick it out...weekend is ruined now. Customer support is closed, closest dealer is almost two hours away one way and I now own a unit that will not start...I changed plugs, checked coil wires and gap, its got good compression and is getting gas but I cant seem to see any spark when I ground it to the head....to say I am disappointed would be an understatement with all the problems since opening the unit up and having damage off the bat. I guess it was a sign... do I have any abilities to exchange this unit ? What do you recommend to remedy this and get a unit running again. I cant get ahold of redcat as they are closed ( why is tech support closed on weekends when THAT is the time MOST people need them and play with the rigs) ....... I understand these are made by humans and sometimes they will have problems, but should a new owner that just spent 600 bucks on the premise the unit wouldwork as advertised , have to deal with THIS many problems on a brand new unit ? It just totally SUCKS as this weekend is my ONLY weekend off for a month and a half now and the granddaughter was so looking forward to driving the rig this weekend. Hell, I probably could have drummed up some business for redcat because of all the people over that would have seen it had it been able to run more than 10 minutes..

THANKS for listening and for any advice you can give me

RampageHopUps

Sounds like you should have ordered it a few days earlier.

Have you looked at any of the Baja tuning videos? If I were to guess, you are too rich in the needles. Depending on your elevation and temperature, you will new to tune.

Where do you live.

blak__jak

you might check for leaks around carb. sometimes the two bolts that hold it on loosen up or the plastic piece between carb and motor will warp. did you vent the fuel tank? of course if you really don't have any spark you have a different problem. I'd make sure of that first. if you get out of the sun you should have no problem seeing it. let us know a little more and maybe someone will be able to help.

freekshow

RampageHopUps said:
Sounds like you should have ordered it a few days earlier. Have you looked at any of the Baja tuning videos? If I were to guess, you are too rich in the needles. Depending on your elevation and temperature, you will new to tune.

Where do you live.
Michigan....and thanks for all your help so far

freekshow

RampageHopUps said:
Sounds like you should have ordered it a few days earlier. Have you looked at any of the Baja tuning videos? If I were to guess, you are too rich in the needles. Depending on your elevation and temperature, you will new to tune.

Where do you live.
Is it normal to be running perfect for 10 minutes on its 2nd tank of fuel and then all of a sudden start popping and sputtering on accel ? THAT would be an indication thst it needs tuning so quickly and abruptly ?

freekshow

blak__jak said:
you might check for leaks around carb. sometimes the two bolts that hold it on loosen up or the plastic piece between carb and motor will warp. did you vent the fuel tank? of course if you really don't have any spark you have a different problem. I'd make sure of that first. if you get out of the sun you should have no problem seeing it. let us know a little more and maybe someone will be able to help.
If there is spark, I cant see it when I place the plug on top of the head and pull the starter...would it be conducive to loss of spark to make the unit thst is running well to pop and sputter on accel then die out and not restart 30 seconds later ?

Just wish it could be exchanged as this thing has been cursed since I opened the box

freekshow

krashkrieg said:
All rc have their startup problems...usually takes a bit to get out the kinks....Sounds like you might have small air leak..
Most likely place I should look would be......how will I know if it IS leaking as all gaskets look in place

krashkrieg

Contributor
Most common on new cars is head bolts and carb bolts. If ran some leaking a bit you might see some oil residue that would indicate....

If you can start it cold, you can quick spritz with e ethanol near head gask. ..if motor revs up, you have a leak....

freekshow

krashkrieg said:
Most common on new cars is head bolts and carb bolts. If ran some leaking a bit you might see some oil residue that would indicate....If you can start it cold, you can quick spritz with e ethanol near head gask. ..if motor revs up, you have a leak....
Can they just be tightened or do they have to be pulled all apart and replaced with gaskets...thanks for all you help

freekshow

krashkrieg said:
nah, it's new, I would just make sure they are all real snug.
They will work loose in 10 minutes of running or they just don't get tightened from the factory ? Anything else to look for if they are tight ?

krashkrieg

Contributor
Well, both can happen...I never run a rig out I'd the box...I always strip it down and re loctite all metal to metal screws. Blue only, maybe bit of red on head bolts and exhaust if becomes an issue...

krashkrieg

Contributor
Also, shocks can be half empty from factory as well as diff fluid not filled correctly...

Edit, actually it's not even fluid from factory with Redcats...lol..it's some black gunk if I remember...

Phill

freekshow said:
Can they just be tightened or do they have to be pulled all apart and replaced with gaskets...thanks for all you help
If the head bolts are loose you will most probably have blown a gasket as well.

An air leak however won't cause loss of spark.

freekshow

Whats the top 3 things I should be looking for because it has no spark then...I pulled the plug and put it against the block and tried starting it and did not see any spark...I tried two other new plugs by the way and checked the coil connections....also changed the kill switch and installed ramtech fail safe while I had cover off.....keep in mind this unit is brand new and ran great for 5 minutes then started popping and sputtering on accel then died at idle and wont restart because I believe it lost spark....would a coil or wire cause it to sputter and pop then quit.....how do I figure out a no spark condition

THANK YOU !!!

Phill

freekshow said:
Whats the top 3 things I should be looking for because it has no spark then...I pulled the plug and put it against the block and tried starting it and did not see any spark...I tried two other new plugs by the way and checked the coil connections....also changed the kill switch and installed ramtech fail safe while I had cover off.....keep in mind this unit is brand new and ran great for 5 minutes then started popping and sputtering on accel then died at idle and wont restart because I believe it lost spark....would a coil or wire cause it to sputter and pop then quit.....how do I figure out a no spark conditionTHANK YOU !!!
Hi Freek

You've done just about everything except try another coil.

That would be my next move and while you've got the cover off just make sure that the flywheel hasn't moved.

There should be a woodruff key in the shaft to stop that from happening but you never know.

Even if it had moved you would still get some spark but the timing would be out which could result in the sputter you encountered.

freekshow

Phill said:
Hi FreekYou've done just about everything except try another coil.

That would be my next move and while you've got the cover off just make sure that the flywheel hasn't moved.

There should be a woodruff key in the shaft to stop that from happening but you never know.

Even if it had moved you would still get some spark but the timing would be out which could result in the sputter you encountered.
Ordered a new coil....hopefully that does it...this SUCKS as the unit is brand new and has 10 minutes of run time :-(

Thank you all again for hanging in there with me

Phill

freekshow said:
Ordered a new coil....hopefully that does it...this SUCKS as the unit is brand new and has 10 minutes of run time :-(Thank you all again for hanging in there with me
I know how you feel mate

I went through the same process when I bought my DR

Great car now though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts