• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Diff planetry gears.....

bigfol

I just pulled my front diff apart and found only 2 planetry gears inside, the shaft that they sit on has a cutout and the case has a cut out as well for a second set of gears, I believe it should have 4 planetry gears in there. Can anyone confirm that this is the case. :confused:

bigfol

Any reason for that? With the power of brushless motors I would have thought having 4 gears would perform better.....

Anyone tried putting 4 diff planetry gears in their xbe?

killajb

There was some chit-chat about this very issue before somewhere around here. I can't really figure out why Redcat would do that with what seems to be a relatively cheap part.

I can see how maybe an extra set of gears would cause heat issues.. by sloshing around in the same amount of diff oil under more friction. More gears would certainly distribute the load better, but if it ain't broke.. right? I dunno..

DemonRC

Just one more thing they did to reduce weight. I haven't heard of a single bevel gear failure in the X series yet so I wouldn't bother running all 4.

bigfol

Well I stuck them in and I like it,seems to be a lot smoother and they deliver a even balance of power/drive to each wheel, if they get to hot I might as well put 7075 diff housing in, I think the only thing left on my xbe that's plastic is the side guards.......LOL

If you guys haven't allready done so do yourselves a favour and put 70 weight oil in the shocks, man that makes a big difference to the handling....Keeps the wheels down for better handing and puting power down....

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts