• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Anybody tried this ESC yet?

DemonRC

I'm not overly fond of Castle Creations right now after all the trouble with the XL series and a Mamba Monster nearly having me toss a RC8.2 in the garbage. My Hobbywing just went kaput and I found this as an options. Anybody run this yet? I have tried a few of the Trackstars in my 1/10 scales and haven't had any problems with them yet. I run Turnigy Nano-tech lipos in just about everything. Dam good batteries but I'm skeptical about new unreviewed ESC's.

Turnigy Trackstar 200 amp 1/5 scale ESC

Specs:

car size: 1/5th scale

Working current: 200 Amps

Burst current: 1000 Amps

Cell count: 2-8s Lipo

Motor Type: Sensorless Brushless

On/off switch: Yes

Operation: Fwd/brake/rev - Fwd/brake only (Programmable)

Thermal overload protection: Yes

Battery cable: 8 AWG size (8mm bullet connectors)

Motor cable: 8 AWG size (8mm female bullets)

Dimensions: 120mm x 53.5mm x45mm

Weight: 346g

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24754__Turnigy_Trackstar_1_5th_Scale_Sensorless_200amp_8s_Opto_Car_ESC.html

They also have a 1/5 brushless motor series. Might be a good alternative to the CC XL2 / Leopard combos we've been running:

Last edited by a moderator:

rookie101

Just picked one up for my XB-E to try, but have not installed it yet. For the price I figured it was worth giving it a shot. Hobby king has it for $109.

G

I have both waiting to be installed. However I might go with a higher kv motor. That 730 is only rated at 41v. I was thinking a 1300kv leopard on 8s might be a better option.

chapinb

I had the skyrc version of it. Mine died unexpectedly for no real detectable reason. Sky refurbished it, but won't tell me the issue. It will be ran through its paces again in the spring. Hobbyking very well may have tighter QC than sky. I'd say give it a try - cheap enough and there aren't many alternatives if castle isn't catching your fancy. Just be prepared to potentially loose your investment.

When mine was working, it ran cool and smooth. Cooler than those the xl2 that replaced it. The esc does not have a bec - probably a good thing however as it forces you to use a real bec.

X-ray man

I had the Toro version of this and it died after 6 runs. Who knows what went wrong...

killajb

I purchased the Toro version of this esc, wired it up but haven't run it yet :( I am still using my CC1520 (1500kv motor) and wanted to see it on 8s, but glad I never got around to it.

From what I've read, using this esc on 8s with any motor over 780kv will cause failures. Motors such as my CC1520 are supposedly good up to 6S on this esc.

Since I already had my XBE running 6s with the stock ESC, I wanted to try a higher voltage, more efficient setup and will probably buy the Toro 730kv motor as well just to (attempt) to be safe..

G

From what I've read, using this esc on 8s with any motor over 780kv will cause failures. Motors such as my CC1520 are supposedly good up to 6S on this esc.
Well that's disappointing...

I wanted to try a 1300kv leopard on 8s.

rookie101

I have the 1340kv Leopard and i'm going to give it a shot. At $100 if it blows up oh well. Unfortunately winter will be sticking around for here for a while.

rookie101

Anybody tried this ESC yet?

Well I finally got around to mounting it up as well as the 7075rc chassis, already had the leopard and his mount in there.

Hopefully it's reliable, because in just the few minutes of running it in the shop it's unreal. Picks the front wheels about six inches off the ground on slippery concrete and balloons the crap out of the tires. Lots of clearance with both the factory body and the Grafil.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Thanks!

I think Ill order a few different sizes to try out as well.

strodedawg

i am torn between this esc and the castle xl2. i have two shopping carts open and i am ready to order but can't decide. castle would have better service, but other than randomly burning up the trakstar has had some decent reviews. any opinions? :)

rookie101

Well I just gave it it's first real run on the street. Wow, it's uncontrollable! No gps on this run, but I'd guess 60mph and then some if I could keep it in a straight line.

Ran against a Revo and MGT both running the mamba 2200 on 6s and they had no chance against the Cat on 8s! A buddy was videoing, so if he gets the vid up I'll try to post a link. I know he didn't get the head to head action, but should give you an idea.

I think I'll have to gear down if I want to use it.

G

Is that with the 1340kv or the 730kv?

That looks like the trackstar in your pick on the first page.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts