• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

anticapating my next build

kryptonite

well, its 4am and ive been building like an addict since 9am yesterday morning. my wife had to drag me out just to feed me or i wouldnt have eatin anything:eek: so i got alot done. the plastic came out great, but man did it take forever. alot of prep work. it still has some set-up time to go and its allready pretty tough. i don't don't really know if its gona be all that fast, but it looks fast. the motor came out great. i love it all white. looks really sharp. i wanted to test out the under chassis lights, but didnt want to start soldering.. im also not using the roll cage. i think it looks better without.. well here are some pics.

the widow maker project 024.jpg

the widow maker project 019.jpg

the widow maker project 017.jpg

the widow maker project 003.jpg

the widow maker project 001.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c605961867_thewidowmakerproject024.jpg.c343ce84f4ff23ac113dab3e1ae20265.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c605962c2d_thewidowmakerproject019.jpg.3e82718b2b899ce63bf14c529e954c35.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c6059640f8_thewidowmakerproject017.jpg.7918627e190ba21e39f83b32a43709bb.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60596579c_thewidowmakerproject003.jpg.9081cb38af641ce8bc60b23a2f2d2c9e.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c605966d4d_thewidowmakerproject001.jpg.d36a1d02838046064a0d05f27ba62b3b.jpg

kryptonite

prostock said:
Is that a pink drill in the last pic?

BRC
its my wifes.. really i swear.. took it from her side of the hobby room.. i completly see how that story would be hard to believe, but its tru..

prostock

LMAO; you are my hero!!!

BRC

kryptonite said:
its my wifes.. really i swear.. took it from her side of the hobby room.. i completly see how that story would be hard to believe, but its tru..

Ron E

Contributor
krypt, the street truck looks great... and the pink looks good, a lot better than i thought it would. :D very cool build dude, good job. i may get some on road tires for the tt when the stockers ware out, i like 'em... looks like fun. :)

kryptonite

thanx ron.. anything pink is pretty risky and always runs the risk of.... well, its pink and im a burly redneck contractorso i got some more stuff done today. figured out the suspension. had to put all 4 front origanal springs in it to gets some workable suspension as its lowered 1" and the tires are 3/4" shorter then the tt's. im running 75wt in the rear and 65 up front, but im sure that will change once i test it. the shell came out great. got the hbz "kryptonite" green under chassis lights hooked up to the 3rd channel so i can "blink" them thru the parking lot. "hacked" and mt front bumper but im going to leave the rear empty.. painted the shell too. i took moo's sugjestion as he thought maybe a pink shell would be too much, so i went with white with pink racing stripes.. looks insane!! i had to keep the paint simple so i didnt mess it up. still have to get the rear lexan suspension arm skid plates bent and mounted and set up my servo's(installed). im dieing to test it out.. well here are some more pics of what i have so far.. pics don't do the lights any justice.. they are super bright!!

the widow maker project 063.jpg

the widow maker project 046.jpg

the widow maker project 059.jpg

the widow maker project 061.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60596a87d_thewidowmakerproject063.jpg.4ace3cd49b22fbc2daa97d645403fe62.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60596bac5_thewidowmakerproject046.jpg.4ce6fa29d117ac7cfef12c3d3a832e5c.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60596cfcb_thewidowmakerproject059.jpg.a26c74f6c0dfd65cd451f59fe6142ebe.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60596efa5_thewidowmakerproject061.jpg.74fed970293ffced0739df592815401c.jpg

kryptonite

i was able to test run it on sunday. i had a good time trying to get it fired. had to put a small amount of 2 stroke oil down the head to get a temporary compression seal and it fired right up after that. ran it for about 1/2 tank on the stand then decided to see what it could do in a parking lot. i had to be carefull becouse my 3pm was "on the fritz" and i was using a crappy hitech agressor. i had put on my 27/33 gears and it flat lined pretty quick and the top speed was what i thought to be slow, so i swapped it to 33/27 and man does it scream!! and handles well.. not perfect(yet:cool:) a little front end push and have to work the rear droop, change the oils up and mess with the camber. but its very responsive. i was worried about tire roll as i made my own foam inserts. the tarmacs give decant traction at speeds, but diddnt really warm them up good. i couldnt really top it out, but im going to run it again tonight with better radio gear and see what it does. it looks silly sick flying accross the lot with the "krypto" geen lightshttp://www.redcatrampageforum.com/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

widow maker testing 002.jpg

widow maker testing 004.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60597361e_widowmakertesting002.jpg.eacdd7d061e74887661d191939fe81d6.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c605974c5a_widowmakertesting004.jpg.22f8d6f3d2cbde2cfd6e070c97bbe58c.jpg

hamster huey

Krypto thanks, that looks like a ton of fun. You can still convert back to offroad later on...... I am seriously looking at doing this with a 3rd Ramp but I would have to lose my brushless 1/8s. Some thoughts: do any sedan car bodies fit on there? Ramp rally adapters w/mcd sedan tires? I wanted a Rally but they are more $ and I don't see Rally parts anywhere.

kryptonite

i can swap back to off-road, but the pink plastic wont hold up well. i wanted soemthing i could use at night time in the empty parking lots that wont need to much maintonance.. this is perfect for that purpase. its way too wide for an on-road body. you can get fg/mcd adaptors to run rally tires.

hamster huey

Ill start looking for adapters. I meant a sedan body with the wheels and tires sticking out like the truck body. It might look cool...........

kryptonite

hamster huey said:
Ill start looking for adapters. I meant a sedan body with the wheels and tires sticking out like the truck body. It might look cool...........
sedan wheel would be killer. not sure about the wheel base thou. most sedan shell are 525mm wich don't fit the rally chassis wich has the same wheel base as the tt/mt

so here is a break in vid in the lot. i had my epa set for about 3/4 throttle. it ran well but was pretty rich all around. towards the end of the tank i let it open up more and it really started to scream on the top end. the size of this lot is the reason i am not concerned with low end torque.. im lovin it!!

Piranha2

Contributor
LMAO Krypt, you are going to go broke on tires.......loved the 360's.....it actually looks real stable but I think the tires slipping adds to that......nice work!!!

hamster huey

Id like to see you open that motor up, floor it out of a turn and go straight until it wont go any faster! Your headlights make it look like a sad face. Those tarmacs don't seem like they get any traction, maybe good for drifting? Maybe you can heat them up or cut grooves in them for more tracktion? I think Im gonnna go with bow ties........pretty sure......yeah........I want to lot race you! Soon as I can figure out how to vid my on raod action w/0 a frined Ill post. I want a go pro soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

so today i got another tank thru it(3rd) and i leaned it out. i was nervous about the low end torque as it was pretty "slacky" on the first tank. plus the gears were tight and the diff was tight.. just a mess. before i went out i rebuilt both the diffs with 5k front and 10k rear. much smoother and less rear end drifting. still has a little on-throttle push and i will work on that. once i got the carb tuned to the motor/pipe, i ran it for about 3 minutes after tunning and noticed a "huge" explosion with the low end torque. my first run was with tt gears reversed,31/29.. flat lined pretty quick, so then i did 33/27. it was sluggish off the line, but once everything losened up(motor/gears) it was too torquie off the line and spun out alot when the pipe kicked on. it came to me.. run the 35/25 set-up.. holly snot rockits!! it was much more contrable off the line and thru the power band. the top speed was amazingly fast. almost too fast for the suspension set-up i have. it fly's!! now for the problem.. im done running till i get my radio gear problem situated. im running the same radio for all 3 rigs and they are all glitchy ever since last weakend when i had to reset my 3pm becouse it went "fritzy".. not sure what the problem is, but it makes me very uneasy when running. just real glitchy on the throttle and stearing.. time to go 2.4ghz i guess. it will have to wait, couse i have my hand in the cooky jar.. you'll find out soon enough:D

prostock

Nice work Krypt you are having a lot fun! How are the Tarmacs holding up I just picked some up today.

I want to try the Hostile slicks the look killer and come in three different compounds. Thanks for the gearing info; I haven't had much time to finish my work on the TT (work) hopfully I will get a chance to run this weekend if the dam rain would stop!

BRC

kryptonite said:
so today i got another tank thru it(3rd) and i leaned it out. i was nervous about the low end torque as it was pretty "slacky" on the first tank. plus the gears were tight and the diff was tight.. just a mess. before i went out i rebuilt both the diffs with 5k front and 10k rear. much smoother and less rear end drifting. still has a little on-throttle push and i will work on that. once i got the carb tuned to the motor/pipe, i ran it for about 3 minutes after tunning and noticed a "huge" explosion with the low end torque. my first run was with tt gears reversed,31/29.. flat lined pretty quick, so then i did 33/27. it was sluggish off the line, but once everything losened up(motor/gears) it was too torquie off the line and spun out alot when the pipe kicked on. it came to me.. run the 35/25 set-up.. holly snot rockits!! it was much more contrable off the line and thru the power band. the top speed was amazingly fast. almost too fast for the suspension set-up i have. it fly's!! now for the problem.. im done running till i get my radio gear problem situated. im running the same radio for all 3 rigs and they are all glitchy ever since last weakend when i had to reset my 3pm becouse it went "fritzy".. not sure what the problem is, but it makes me very uneasy when running. just real glitchy on the throttle and stearing.. time to go 2.4ghz i guess. it will have to wait, couse i have my hand in the cooky jar.. you'll find out soon enough:D

kryptonite

thanx prostock. as far as the tarmacs? they are slightly slippery. but not bad. they are also good in short grass. havent reall gone hard on them yet, but i have 3tanks on them, and one pretty good tank. the tread is still like new. im guessing they will last a while becouse of the 4wd. on my 5b they would last about 3 tanks and they were slicks. my only sugjestion with them is to tape the inside with athletic tape. it will help with side wall roll over and ballooning at high speeds

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts