• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

anticapating my next build

kryptonite

im using the money that i was going to go to diggers dungeon with to build a new rig.. it wont be for a while,(a few weeks) but its all mapped out. im done with the other 2 rigs and completly satified with their performance so im on to the next. what makes this fun is im on a budget. its much harder this way. this is also going to be strictly street. maybe some light grass but no dirt!! becouse im on a budget, i need to make a "wow" factor somewhere. so yes it will be pink.

-for the chassis i'll be using this(mt5 v2 roller)

http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=389

-motor will be this with the included jetpro. wanted diffrent pipe then the ddm i have for the tt

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/itemdescription/29cchkpackage.htm

for the stearing i will be using 2 of these. not the best, but think budget.

http://www.largescalerc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=860

and throttle

http://www.largescalerc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=904

and for my faverite part, i'll be using these tires/rims w/adaptors

http://www.suhracing.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=19

5b adaptors

http://www.suhracing.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=21

was thinking white 5b rims and tarmac, but i like brp's better.

now for the wow.. i will be dropping the suspension very low. complty slammed. also the stock mt shell will be resting on the shock towers with the rear rollcage poking out the back. im going to try to run the highest gears i can. not concerned with low end torque, just want it to blister. so i'll try the 33/27's but will try the stock 35/25 set-up too. now for the pink. the stock mt shell will be a white fading into bubble gum pink(my company colors)for other components im going to use krylon plastic paint(pink). it doesn't chip or peel and is very durable if used properly(im a painter, ive used it before). i'll be doing the suspension arms,diffs, radio box,roll cage and a few other parts, but not the hubs and obvious friction parts. to protect it from rocks i have mocked up front and rear suspension arm skid plates using thin lexan, heat gun and a sheetmetal brake for perfect bends. also a side chassis deflector.. they will also be sprayed with the pink and shimmed so they arent resting on the plastic.. and thats it. my budget build wich i will start at the end of the month. the end resoult will be pretty flashy and diffrent for sure. its also less then $1400.00. i know this thread is a little early(and long) but im interested in your opinions and other crazy ideas

Last edited by a moderator:

csp1971

Contributor
I think it sounds awesome. Stay away from the HPI Tarmac tires. I have them on my Baja and hate them. They were really cheap with the tread. The suh's would look great!

kryptonite

hey csp. i agree with the tarmacs. had them on my 5b and they sucked. i really wanted the 5b white rims. ive heard good resoults with the brp's. they mainly make 1/4 scale tires. plus its very diffrent. nobody has them.(but they are good)

csp1971

Contributor
Go with those BRP's. For 45 a tire, I would think those things must be great material. I can't wait to see the progress on this thing.

kryptonite

csp1971 said:
Go with those BRP's. For 45 a tire, I would think those things must be great material. I can't wait to see the progress on this thing.
they arent that much more becouse they come with the rims. it was only $40 cheaper to get all tarmacs and rims. replacement get expensive couse you have to buy the rim and tire..

kryptonite

thanks jiga. thats probly what i'll be ordering. i have the gear rebuild kit from my last 805 that will fit. that even comes with the spitter to run 6volts. should be fine for my on-road application.

Sprint 77

Contributor
I run the BRP 1/4 scale tires on my Sprint, they are good.

If you want the white baja wheels though I would go with them and Hostile slicks. The less cost of the tires from BRP will get spent again by adapters. So why not get what you want. Stay away from HPI tarmacs though do ourself a favor and get hostile slicks for the rubber. I have seen or used all the tires mentioned above.

kryptonite

hey thanks sprint. i had the hostile slicks when they first came out for the 5b. they took some time to warm up an still didnt do well on dirty parking lots. i actoully figured in the price for both adaptors(hpi/brp's). i also want something i can run on light/short grass. since you ran the brp's exactly how were they? with the tarmcs(hpi) i had to tape the inside to limit ballooning, but i cant do that with pre-mounted brp's. do they ballon out? and how is the side walls

Sprint 77

Contributor
Brp will never balloon out. The "HOST" as their insert is called is the sidewall and is glued to the wheel. Then the outer band of Rubber is glued on. That is the positive.

Drawbacks they are smaller in diameter , they are HEAVY and because they are glued as a set and the sidewall is the host. if you hit a curb or something you will likely lose the hole wheel and tire. The plastic is good but is a little more brittle than the HPI tires.

I am not sure how close you are up to the 1/4 scale track up there , but there is a dirt oval in Pa you might want to go watch them run and look at them.

As far as heat build up will take a while too and cool down quick. that will be the same or worse than the hostiles. you do have a choice in rubber compund though.

Hope that helps not trying to sway you one way or other but the decision is about $200 of your car budget so make the right one for your needs.

Sprint 77

Contributor
I have a set of the adapters punched out that can be stacked different for helping the offset. I did not like the BRP on my Baja about the time the tire got hot and sticky good it was time to refuel. I like the dirt spikes on the dirt oval though , they hook on the baja.

You got to remember BRP is very knowlegable on his rubber and tire making , but for the sole purpose of making a great product to go on a 25 lb car on a high banked smooth maintained paved oval , for about 20 - 30 min a session. This don't sound like midnight parking lot racing at the local Wal-Mart parking lot

jigawatt

kryptonite said:
thanks jiga. thats probly what i'll be ordering. i have the gear rebuild kit from my last 805 that will fit. that even comes with the spitter to run 6volts. should be fine for my on-road application.
if you happen to be a tower member, you can pretty much double the warranty (2 years instead of the standard 1)

kryptonite

wow. that was a fast $1200. now the wait begins.. i had to change a few things around to work with my budget. the things i didnt get that i really wanted were the lightened fly wheel and the 813 pumper carb. i also changed the mill and tires..

so i got:

-rampage mt

-o'neils race ported and machined zenoeh 27.2 w/2mm stuffed strocker

-chrome side dom

-desporato rims, chrome w/black beadlocks

-hpi tarmacs

-vertigo axle extenders

-hs 645 for throttle/brake

-hs 805 for on-road stearing duty

-under chassis lights(its a must for late night parking lot bashing)

-fastcolors white and pink lexan paint:eek:

-krylon plastic enamol white and pink:eek:

not sure when everything should be in,(wend/thurs?)) but i have arranged my schedule to take a few days off so i can start my "pinky" on-road mt build.. im lovin it!!

Z

ZielkeRacing

I cant wait to see it. Its going to look awesome as a street truck.

kryptonite

well i got my first box today. and the others are close behind. it was from o'neill bros racing. i wanted to get the zenoah race ported and machined 27.2 w/stuffed stroker and reed kit. when i checking out it added tax to my bill and didnt give me any shipping price. it came to $276.00 plus shipping wich was more then i had on budget. so i nixed it and went with the same motor minus the reed kit. 2 days after i purchased and after it was sent i got an invoice. it didnt include shipping or tax. i was pissed couse i could have gotten my reed kit motor.. oh well. next time. this is what i got for $149.00-zenoah 27.2-machined cylinder to accept 2mm stuffed stroker(no gaskit stacking)-resurfaced intake port-inlarged and resurfaced exhoust port-reshaped/inlarged/resurfaced tranfer ports-windowed piston-2mm stuffed strokerim really not sure what to expect with this set-up. im using a stock 668 carb and a side dom. im going to have my bro machine the stock flywheel this weekend. should be a good little screamer for on-road use

widowmaker top end 002.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c6059576e9_widowmakertopend002.jpg.8bc5d9f31c607e094ec190de0507dde7.jpg

kryptonite

it landed today. came home early to a few boxes from ddm.. didnt waste any time. ripped right into it. so far i have it completly stripped to the chassis. i got all the plastic preped for paint(clean/sand/clean). i'll be spraying them at my shop tomorrow.(3 coats of pink and maybe 5 coats of clear) also got the new desporatos mounted. made some foams and taped the insides all up for less balloning and sidewall roll.. also got the mill stripped and matched the ports on the case.. ready for paint. its going white head with a white lower case and clutch cover.. i want to put an elcon 4 shoe clutch in it before i get it all back together.. not sure if i can swing it though. ok, so i have to talk about the 8mm vertigo axle extenders.. what a treat!! no more set screws!! they use an o-ring to cover the axle pin. and they are flanged on the backside to cover the bearings from dirt.. also since there is no set screw, they capped the axle hole.. super happy since they were only $23 a set

new stuff 001.jpg

desporato rims widowmaker 002.jpg

vertigo axle extenders 003.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60595da1f_newstuff001.jpg.e57621eed58c8a5d457980596f1103e3.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60595f103_desporatorimswidowmaker002.jpg.9b51a7a139aef4c4d416693eb0c2cc6a.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c6059603f9_vertigoaxleextenders003.jpg.bfe739add9548a40fa9b6b16d9ef22a0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts