• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Yet another DuneRunner :)

Ice_2k

Thanks man. I'm using a diaphragm filter on the carb and haven't run it offroad almost at all, just tarmac, so I don't think the carb is the problem now. I'll try leaning out a bit more and see how it goes.

Ice_2k

Took it out today, ran great. I noticed that, compared to a few months ago when the outside temperature was much hotter, it gained almost 1000rpm at the top, it almost hit 17.000 and about 63km/h (40mph). That means that simply switching the A and B gears would get me to about 70km/h, which is not bad at all :)

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Took it out today, ran great. I noticed that, compared to a few months ago when the outside temperature was much hotter, it gained almost 1000rpm at the top, it almost hit 17.000 and about 63km/h (40mph). That means that simply switching the A and B gears would get me to about 70km/h, which is not bad at all :)
They run 31/29 easily and still have plenty of take off with 6K clutch.

Clutches don't like 35/25 though.

Ice_2k

Did anybody here run a Dunerunner in the snow? I'm thinking of having some fun by building a snow plow and mounting it on the front of the DR and I was wondering if the stock tires are any good in the snow. Looking at them, it seems like the stock front tires aren't gonna give me any traction, they look more like steering tires for a rwd car (which they probably are lol).

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
Did anybody here run a Dunerunner in the snow? I'm thinking of having some fun by building a snow plow and mounting it on the front of the DR and I was wondering if the stock tires are any good in the snow. Looking at them, it seems like the stock front tires aren't gonna give me any traction, they look more like steering tires for a rwd car (which they probably are lol).
The front stock tires are designed for steering. For snow people usually get the hostile MX with hostile ice screws screwed on the spikes. Personally I don't like the idea of screws rotating at 3000+ rpm lol!

Ice_2k

Yeah, especially since I'm gonna have my 2-year old next to me, the screws are a big no-no. If it turns out to be completely pathetic in the snow, I'll probably go for a full set of bowties... or maybe the snow padels for the rear and keep the front for steering. Altough I saw some videos with people running sand/snow padels and they seem to create CRAZY vibrations on the car

It really sucks that Redcat didn't update the front tires after going to 4wd. They even kept them with a larger diameter than the rears, while having a locked central diff....

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Yeah, especially since I'm gonna have my 2-year old next to me, the screws are a big no-no. If it turns out to be completely pathetic in the snow, I'll probably go for a full set of bowties... or maybe the snow padels for the rear and keep the front for steering. Altough I saw some videos with people running sand/snow padels and they seem to create CRAZY vibrations on the carIt really sucks that Redcat didn't update the front tires after going to 4wd. They even kept them with a larger diameter than the rears, while having a locked central diff....
Have a look on you tube

There's plenty of vids of 5th scales running in snow.

I run stock fronts on the front front and rear in sand and they're good.

The tread pattern helps it run straight

Ice_2k

Yeah, I saw lots of 5th scales in snow but most of them have regular tires on the front, not the kind the DR has. I'm just wondering if these fronts offer any kind of traction and to be honest I don't think they do. But I'll find out soon enough, the temperatures are already going below freezing at night :)

Phill

The ribs help with steering in soft sand so they may work in snow??

We don't have snow here so not sure.

designed2survive

Phill said:
I think the only way you'll get traction in snow is with paddles
Wet or light snow, yes. But packed snow or not so fresh, paddle won't last long. Hostile mx will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

designed2survive said:
Great run and fun! Little high idle or lean low needle?
Btw, I noticed that, without touching any screws, the idle rpm is going up as the engine gets warmer. Is that normal?

Ice_2k

crankestein said:
Not sure on 2 stroke gaso engines, but on nitro whenever the idle creeps or tends to stay high after warming up, and/or a few tanks, then its running lean.
That's interesting, I'll give that a try when I take it out next time, see if richening the LSN a bit will help.

crankestein said:
Nice buggy, very nice doing some drifting. I was biting my nails whenever you would pass close to the white square buildings, as the buggy was sliding too much sometimes
Thanks. I've actually got quite used to it, it's (almost) always sliding the way I want it to :) I really like drifting it, so I got lot of practice with it (as evidence by the tarmac busters that got destroyed in just a few tanks lol)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts