• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Xt wheel fix idea!

nitrobashin

We all know the stock XT foams dissapear into dust.I was goin to switch to hpi wheels.I didnt want to spend the money.I noticed the wheelshave holes on the inside.So stuck some gorrila tape on the holes.No air gets out i now have tires that are air filled.Have not run it yet.The tires are not flat.I think it will hold.

G

Let us know how it runs like that. Hope it works for you!

Deluge

They'll run completely out of balance, though. Probably beat the shit out of your wheel bearings, as well.

G

Maybe if you opened up the air holes you could drain out the foam powder. They would be more balanced.

rcgasser

I would think that the tape would throw the balance off also unless you could make it the same all the way around might be worth a try.

G

Yep it could. However I don't know how balanced they are in the first place. I gave up trying to tape foams for this reason. I really need a wheel balancer. How many of you guys use one?

G

I would like to balance my MT wheels. They shake like hell as soon as you hit about 30mph.

G

Deluge said:
I balance my small scale wheels. 5th scale wheels, not so much.
Yeah, I haven't read so much on large scale wheel balancing. All my Baja wheel/tire combos aren't too bad. But damn, those MT wheels are shakers! Even a slight improvement would be great.

nitrobashin

I ended up replacing the powder with foam.What a pain!After replacing foam,it wasnt firm enough for me.So i taped up the wholes again.Took it out yesterday,i saw a big improvment over stock.The wheels were alot better balanced then stock,and not flat.IMO a good fix for the $.No need for a wheel balancer,if u r not racin!

G

Nice! Glad they're running good. Balancing can be a pain.

Deluge

If the wheels aren't balanced, they'll beat up the wheel bearings. All that vibration and uneven load will cause them to fail prematurely.

Deluge

nitrobashin said:
I ended up replacing the powder with foam.What a pain!After replacing foam,it wasnt firm enough for me.So i taped up the wholes again.Took it out yesterday,i saw a big improvment over stock.The wheels were alot better balanced then stock,and not flat.IMO a good fix for the $.No need for a wheel balancer,if u r not racin!
Nice. Let us know how they hold up.

Guantanamo Joe

When I balanced the wheels on my XT, I had some magnetic strip with sticky backing. I used sections of this and stuck on the inside of the wheel- worked GREAT... just in case someone needs a simple, cheap balancing material. A friend of mine glued lead weights in... he said it was a pain and the glue itself made it so they still werent balanced...

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
When I balanced the wheels on my XT, I had some magnetic strip with sticky backing. I used sections of this and stuck on the inside of the wheel- worked GREAT... just in case someone needs a simple, cheap balancing material. A friend of mine glued lead weights in... he said it was a pain and the glue itself made it so they still werent balanced...
The tape sounds good. You can move it if you need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts