• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT-E, Durability Similar to XB-E?

mailmanx

I've been driving brushless 1/8th scale rigs for two years. Recently, I became intrigued with a bigger rig after watching videos of the Traxxas X-Maxx. However, I believe that the X-Maxx is over-priced and under-built. I was especially turned off by how much of it is proprietary. I love to upgrade rigs. I do not want to be forced into giving more money to Traxxas!

In looking for alternatives to the X-Maxx, I came across the newly released CEN Racing Colossus XT (AKA Reeper in Europe) and this Redcat Racing Rampage XT-E. I don't know anything about either of these rigs.

I understand from DJMedic on Youtube that the previous CEN Racing GST-E Colossus was a tough rig. However, I do not know if this new Colossus XT shares similar DNA.

I have read a LOT of great reliability reviews of the Redcat Racing XB-E buggy. Unfortunately there is not as much info available on the newer XT-E. I was, however, very happy to hear that they share a very similar chassis and drivetrain. If that's true, then I think the XT-E may be the new truck I am looking for. If possible, please confirm for me from your personal experience that the XT-E is one tough Monster Truck.

Finally, I already know that I will NOT buy a Traxxax X-Maxx. However, the new Colossus XT intrigues me. I'm sure that nobody has experience with that Colossus XT. The Reeper, on the other hand, has been out for a while in European countries. If you have experience with the Reeper, can you provide a brief comparison of the Reeper to the XT-E with emphasis on how the XT-E is superior?

Thanks for all thoughtful replies!

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
@mailmanx first welcome to RRF! Personally I think the Colossus XT is a poorly done knock off to the Savage. If I was wanting an electric monster truck then I'd be going right after the new Savage XL Flux as the HPI Savage has a tried and true history of being incredibly durable and tons of after-market parts available.

If you're wanting something bigger then the Rampage XT-E would certainly be on the short list and parts for it should also be pretty easy to find.

mailmanx

If you are only kind of a good admin, should I take your advice to the bank? Just kidding, I enjoy humor, especially plays on language.

In reality, I had bypassed the Savage Flux XL because it is the same size as my Team Associated Rival Monster truck, so I had decided to go larger. I like the 30-inch length of the Rampage XT-E.

It's a shame about the new Cen Racing Colossus XT. I was hoping they would not let their quality slide with new ownership.

mailmanx

@mailmanx first welcome to RRF! Personally I think the Colossus XT is a poorly done knock off to the Savage. If I was wanting an electric monster truck then I'd be going right after the new Savage XL Flux as the HPI Savage has a tried and true history of being incredibly durable and tons of after-market parts available.

If you're wanting something bigger then the Rampage XT-E would certainly be on the short list and parts for it should also be pretty easy to find.

I can find plenty of stock Redcat XT parts as well as Redcat aluminum upgrades. However, it seems that FLM, MCD and 7075RC no longer make parts for the XT / XT-E. That's a real bummer. If I'd have researched this better, I might have passed on buying the used XT-E. I was especially hoping for better outdrive cups and dogbones since it has been reported that they break a lot. Are there other options - such as parts from a different 1/5 scale rig that will fit the XT?

Wayne

I can find plenty of stock Redcat XT parts as well as Redcat aluminum upgrades. However, it seems that FLM, MCD and 7075RC no longer make parts for the XT / XT-E. That's a real bummer. If I'd have researched this better, I might have passed on buying the used XT-E. I was especially hoping for better outdrive cups and dogbones since it has been reported that they break a lot. Are there other options - such as parts from a different 1/5 scale rig that will fit the XT?
The XT parts will also fit the XT-E and the XB. 7075RC sells excellent outdrive cups that are sleeved and dogbones that fit all the 1/5 scale Rampage X series vehicles.

mailmanx

The XT parts will also fit the XT-E and the XB. 7075RC sells excellent outdrive cups that are sleeved and dogbones that fit all the 1/5 scale Rampage X series vehicles.

Thanks, Wayne! I missed seeing the XT parts on the 7075RC website. That is great news! I just ordered some cups and axles.

If you have experience with the "X" models and Redcat upgrade parts, are any of them high priority?

mailmanx

Hi Wayne, I just exchanged e-mail with Doug Mooney at 7075RC and found out that the dogbones they sell for the XT are stock OEM Redcat bones. He does not sell upgraded dogbones. He also told me that the drive cups are also OEM except that they added the band around them. That was a brilliantly simple solution!

If you have other sources for aftermarket upgrades on the XT/XB, please let me know. THANKS!

mailmanx

Do you mean the front and rear differential housings? It does not seem that 7075RC sells the differentials. Actually, I'm not convinced they even sell the housings anymore. There are two different websites and I can't tell if they are from the same source:

http://www.7075rc.com/front-differential-housing/ (Housings unavailable)

http://7075rc.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=16&cat_id= (The housings "seem" to be available here - I was able to put them in the cart)

I've sent an e-mail to both sites to get more info.

Ol' fart

I am taking the diff housings out for black anodizing today. They should be ready this Friday. I made 80 housings this time, they should last at least a month.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.