• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XBE refit with KD mounted TP5660 1100Kv

ninjagaiden

Folks,

Finally finished off and ran my XBe with the refit. I have a KD mount for a TP Power 5660 (5692 1100Kv), powered by a Mamba XL2 and running a Turnigy 7.5A UBEC. Everything is running at 8S and I have fitted 8mm bullets throughout. I also have the big CC blower fitted onto the motor. I am running a 9T pinion.

Some observations:

1. KD mount doesn't look as nice as 7075RC and shame to lose the plastic gear cover, but seems to work so far. The M4 nuts are tricky to get fitted and I upgraded them all to Nyloc to lend a bit more vibration resistance.

2. I reshaped the ESC holder so that it would fit alongside the bigger motor, and I am using it to mount my UBEC.

3. I fashioned a spur gear cover out of a piece of plastic to make sure that none of the wiring coming out of the ESC could touch the gearing.

4. I recovered all the wiring coming out of the end of the motor can. It's a little tight up the front of the chassis with three 8mm conectors but it does fit.

5. I fitted a red 2 pin servo plug to the UBEC to make it easier to disconnect from the ESC power leads.

6. I am really pleased with the bullet connectors for the batteries, and not having to run a series harness or anything. The spark from connecting two 4S packs was quite a surprise though!

I just took the XBe out for a short spin in the drive to check everything works. Feels really nice to have the motor just pick the car up and get it up to speed. Feels like a Mamba monster in a 1/8th buggy.

Here are the install pics...

P.S. If anyone has a good solution for an anti-spark cable setup in the XBE I'd love to hear about it.

bigfol

Nice set up, I would recommend fitting the castles cap bank to your esc power leads though and as for the anti-spark set up, you will require a pretty big resistor for the xl2. Talk to castles tech support be fore fitting it......its a must or say goodbye to your esc.

You can review it here.

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/nospark.html

I know the spark is big but you get use to it, if you touch the ends of the bullets first is will only affect the top of the plug and not burn it out.

ninjagaiden

Yes I read about people mucking things up on Castle's ESCs. I guess I can live with the spark and the 8mm bullets can take it. Will think about the cap bank.

DUFFY

Nice car, I would flip the batteries and make the wires shorter if you ever have some spare time. Supposed to be better for the esc so they say.

bigfol

DUFFY said:
Nice car, I would flip the batteries and make the wires shorter if you ever have some spare time. Supposed to be better for the esc so they say.
Thats what the cap bank is for it allows you to run longer power leads, if you weren't going to run a cap bank, shorter the power wires the better= less voltage drop. The cap bank also smooths out ripple current, this is the current that is sent back to the batteries by the esc,when using a brushless motor to brake with, under brakes the brushless motor turns into a generator and pumps amps back into the batteries. The power that is generated by the motor under brakes is not smooth, hense the name "ripple current", this current is not good for your esc. So it a good idea to use a cap bank. The draw back is you get an even bigger spark...... :eek:

Kaz the Minotaur

I have the KD mount as well and it works fine.

As far as the anti spark just install a smaller negative wire and connector that you are willing to sacrifice. Use it to complete the circuit only and then unplug. It will still spark but it doesn't matter since only the small sacrificial connector is sparking. The built in anti spark on the FighterCat ESC is prolly 16 or 18 gauge.

ninjagaiden

Well I took the XBE out to run on grass this morning. It went 10 feet and then the 9T pinion gear cracked round the set screw! I've ordered a KD 10T and a Castle 12T one.

Could have been a lot worse I suppose!

N

ninjagaiden

I ran the motor kv test. I was a bit frightened spinning up the motor to full power with no load, but that's what it said to do. Sure enough the ESC shut down the motor power after 3 seconds though. Have now set torque limiting to 4/10 and current limiting to 175A. Fitted the Castle 12T pinion as well. It meshes beter than the 9T but the set screw is so tiny! Just need to wait for some better weather to get it running and review some of the data logging. I'm a sucker for a graph...

bigfol

ninjagaiden said:
I ran the motor kv test. I was a bit frightened spinning up the motor to full power with no load, but that's what it said to do. Sure enough the ESC shut down the motor power after 3 seconds though. Have now set torque limiting to 4/10 and current limiting to 175A. Fitted the Castle 12T pinion as well. It meshes beter than the 9T but the set screw is so tiny! Just need to wait for some better weather to get it running and review some of the data logging. I'm a sucker for a graph...
Wait until you see what happen's when to set the torque limit setting to 10/10,you'll be impressed then...... ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.