• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

xbe overheating

plasticdinosaur

Hi everyone I'm new can u tell lol.anyway I have a xbe that I installed a castle 1717 ,/stock gearing,stock ESC,nanotech 5000mah 65-130c,rampage xt wheels.that's it,and I ran the car twice the first time for about 5 minutes and EVERYTHING got real hot!so I checked all bearings and such,for proper movement,then tried the 2nd run :(this time I ran about 4 minutes or so.The one lipo puffed,the other was pretty hot.the motor was scorching hot,and the wires seemed like they were going to melt! I'm so frustrated! I went and spent all this money on the car and upgrades,and got 2 damageing runs out of it.don't get me wrong,I'm not going to give up! I love the car and I want to figure this out.I saw several YouTube video of the same upgrades and the owners didn't seem to mention any heat issues? Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thanks

G

Are you running 3s lipos?

Going to XT tires will raise the overall ratio. It's the same as gearing up which can get things hot in a hurry.

plasticdinosaur

Yes running 3cells,I forgot to mention the first run was with stock tires? But it still got really hot

XBENOOB

Did you check the gear mesh between the pinion and the spur. If you have the mesh too tight, it will cause an overheat situation. The best way to check the mesh is use a business card (or a post-it note folded in half) and run it through the pinion and spur. It should come out looking like a nice fan fold. There should be nice clean folds. No tears in it.

plasticdinosaur

OK gear mesh was spot on,no problem their.I bought new bullet connectors and resoldered the motor and ESC,the first time was a little shoty. I think u were onto something with the bigger xt wheels I have been running.I think my next move is to gear down a little? Any suggestions on what gear,I'm running stock gear now,thanks

twissted

Banned
Here is what I have on the xbe un less you look on the build thred on this buggy

Last edited by a moderator:

plasticdinosaur

Nice custom build! I had no idea that the 1717 would hold up to 8s power.if i wer to keep the stock wheels,what pinion would u sugest? Thanks for ur help

twissted

Banned
There is a video of a traxxas going over 150 mph on 8s on you tube. In my video the lipos ran for 10 min. and I didn't peak them befor running and the pack hadn't been used in over a month. So better run time can be had. I have some 4s 5800 that I want to try as well.

I'm thing if you watch the boat guys run the 1717 that they run them even past 8s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.