• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB-E muggy 1340 kv

G

Very nice!

bigfol

DUFFY said:
I would say the motor runs slightly hotter than some people will tolerate in their systems. In this system/gearing no fan yet, that adds up to be slightly hotter than a 1/8th scale castle system does in an e-revo on 4s. And I have no fan on the motor, yet. I am on 6s; if you want to have a cooler option and stick to 6s you could try TP power. They make the same motor, in size and kv. The tp power motor looks like it has vents so it should run cooler just because of that. It will how ever let some dirt and crap in the motor. So what one will last longer I don’t want to speculate. Posts on TP Power motors are all positive that I have found. I heard some people not liking leopard motors but mine is fine. I have ran it so many times its proven itself to me. I will put a fan on it and be ok with this gearing I think. I would like to test 6s2p Im not sure if the castle xl2 esc can take it though, im not going to mess with it. The heat is not much of a problem as it works fine within this run time. Going to 30 mins or more will heat things up for sure. If your racing a gas truck in a short race say 10 min what ever, you will beat them pretty good with this set up. If you race for a half hour your battery changes will off set the time gained in performance a lot. The longer the race the more gas gets a advantage. If you want to do one battery change during the race this set up would work. Maybe plan on two as it will give you a nice cool battery. IF you don’t want to do any battery changes I would buy a bigger ESC and spend some big bucks to run 8s 2p. Going 12s will add a lot of weight if you wanted a 30 minute run time.

It all depends on your goal or compromise on speed and run time/ heat/ being able to control your car. If you run 12s you will look crazy but you will also fly out of control more often than the next guy. Crash once in a race and all the speed really just slowed you down, for how ever long it takes to get the car off the ground and back moving. 12s will also be hard to get to 30 mins other than running four 6s batteries and would be very costly indeed if one of the 6s batts fried and then fried the other 3 next to it. IF heat is a major concern I would go lower than 1340kv its hella fast an the motor and works for me. The TP power motor might be a better bet for you in a lower kv.

So I got my second xb-e in the mail off ebay. Everything looked ok and the esc fired up and beeped loud as hell. I was like wow a used RC off ebay with a working esc NO way I can be this lucky. I laid the buggy out in the grass then gave it some gas. A very horrible sound came out of the center motor mount. The pinion was loose so I cranked it back down with out lock tight just to keep testing. The car moved but it was slow and something was just not right. Looking at the buggy closer I can see some damage from shipping must broke something/ or it was broke before it was shipped. The pin holding the rear hub is broke, letting the dog bone out. SO I was in front wheel drive only. It’s a pipe dream to get a 100% working used RC car off ebay- for me at least.

8s will be your sweet spot with the motor your running, won't get as hot, but run time will be down if only using 2 x 4s batts, that being said, I have found the 1000kv TP/turnigy motor on 6s perfect, you can gear to the moon and it bearly gets warm, long run times to and having 2 x 6s batts in there(positioned as far back as I could make it-extra batt holder holes drilled in the chassis) really balances it out when taking on big jumps, lands perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

I have found the 1000kv TP/turnigy motor on 6s perfect, you can gear to the moon and it bearly gets warm, long run times to and having 2 x 6s batts in there(positioned as far back as I could make it-extra batt holder holes drilled in the chassis) really balances it out when taking on big jumps, lands perfectly.
If they ever get back in stock...... I have one on back order. Every time I check, it still states "available in 30 days" LOL

DUFFY

Ill try the 1000kv motor on the other xbe and run it on 6s2p. Gearing down to 50 mph should keep things cool on this motor on 6s by most peoples standards. I have been running in like 106 degree weather as well. If it was 60 to 70 I would be running cool by my tolerances.

A friend saw a few home made RC car water cooled brushless set ups and want to make one to sell. There was some one selling one but it was a weird in its design, instead of the heat sink on the side they had it on the front with out much surface area contact. Other have wrapped cooper tube around the motor and then had it lead to a huge heat sink and fan. I'm thinking about cobbling up one this fall or sooner if my friend take the lead on his idea, for a 30 minute race set up. Its been done before in a few different ways and it works pretty good I'm told. Im not in a rush on that project yet though.

What diff fluid are you guys running in your brushless set ups? Grease still?

DUFFY

I see a 1100kv tp power at KD but no 1000kv around. Other than one on hobby king and its back order since forever.

DUFFY

Well seems some people have had bad luck with the tp motor:( Ill hold out untill the toro combo is here next month and try that. ill try to post a pic of the fighter cat esc tomorrow.

bigfol

RCDAD said:
If they ever get back in stock...... I have one on back order. Every time I check, it still states "available in 30 days" LOL
Don't understand whats taking so long for these motors to come back into stock, I emaiedl Hk the other day about it, they couldn't shed any light on it either, their advise was to place a order and wait.............:eek:LOL

G

Don't understand whats taking so long for these motors to come back into stock, I emaiedl Hk the other day about it, they couldn't shed any light on it either, their advise was to place a order and wait.............LOL
They're just trying to keep people from buying from the compition. I don't mind waiting. I'm one of the -6 their inventory indicates. Lol. I'm lucky enough to have enough platforms to keep me busy while I wait. LOL

No big deal to me. :)

DUFFY

I guess 5k to 10k diff build works well in the XB-E depending how you want it to handle. Grease will make your system heat up as well give your diff cups a beating.

DUFFY

I would like to see one of the sponsors of this site to get ahold of some the toro esc and some of the common motors choices. Leopards, castles and some of the cheaper really no name brand motors.KD is fine ,his shipping was fast for the motor I got, but he is closed a lot. I would much rather buy from a full time store than wait 4-6 months like some people have reported.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts