• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

X-series Ackerman bar.

G

I was adjusting the front suspension and I found the rod bent again. I've hammered it flat a few times before.

-

1C813563-AB43-4801-B157-A7651D78EDA4-121-0000026BF536BCF7_zps4a062287.jpg

G

I decided to try a different rod. A few of you guys have made some carbon fiber versions. I decided to dig in my leftover parts drawers. I found the MT bar to be a great fit if fastened above the steering links.

-

G

I was going to polish it, but decided to paint it instead. I did not want to open up the holes any more while de-anodizing it. I found some flanged bearings 7x4x2mm. Tiny suckers I bought for a small scale car. The MT bar accepted 4 of them perfectly. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Bolted it on and it fit great no clearance issues. It's much stronger and eliminated most of the slop.

-

alfred e numan

Excellent idea! So far, I have not bent mine -- yet. Thought about using acetel rods for the inner a-arms on the xb.- shipping costs were many times the cost of the rods themselfs. so, I bought 3 feet or 6061 AL, 1/4" from Tri -Cities Metals- $4.00. Cut the rods to lengith, put the rods in the drill press and used a large flat file to turn them down. Takes about an hour to do 4. The uppers will be next-- every ounce saved makes it respond faster. Building my own parts is as much fun as running the cars-- almost. Yea, whats so cool about the mentioned rod supplier- they have an open yard policy- acres and acres of goodies!!

alfred e numan

say, is that a rubber boot covering the battery switch on the car? just noticed it on the last photo.

G

alfred e numan said:
say, is that a rubber boot covering the battery switch on the car? just noticed it on the last photo.
Yes.

The original started to go bad. It was causing issues with the Killer Bee. That is a replacement. If I remember, it was purchased from Killer RC. It came with the boot.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Re: X-series Ackerman bar.

Great find with the bar RCdad....since my creation is adjustable I may make it wider and mount it where you did since you said it removes most of the slop...thanks again!

alfred e numan

RCDAD said:
Yes.The original started to go bad. It was causing issues with the Killer Bee. That is a replacement. If I remember, it was purchased from Killer RC. It came with the boot.
heck yea! thanks for the info. these switches are right in the line of fire from the front tire. yea, the stock switch just breaks circut on the hot wire. i would prefer a switch that breaks circut on the negative side also.

G

Yep, moisture can be the end of the switch. I took mine apart after replacing it. Had oxidation on the contacts. That was probably causing a glitch which would trigger the killer bee.

Tehlugz

That's a nice mod, shame i don't have a convenient bar lying around

the slop in the xb platform is really quite terrible..

been thinking about just going dual servo myself, should solve allot of front end problems

Motakitty

Dreggsta said:
hey rcdad, is there a kit you could put together for this? i'm having a hard time finding the bearings.
+1 on that I would like that too although I probably have enough extra parts to make something similar

G

I'll find a part# for the bearings. The Redcat part is easy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts