• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Whats the longest redcat ran!!!

Trip..

As far as the HS is concerned, if it's spitting, yes it's too rich. Remember though, nobody blows up motors by running them too rich.

Here's how I tune mine. Pull the wheels off and place it up on a stand, bock, stump, whatever just make sure it's stable. i don't take the wheels off my 2wd because they don't shake like the 4wd vehicles.

Fire the motor up and run it for a minute or two to be sure it's warmed up. When you can feel warm air blowing from the fan, it's warm enough.

Snap the throttle a few times to clear it out, then rev the piss out of it, run it wide open. Now while it's revving to hell grab your tuning screwdriver and turn in the HS needle until the rpms max out, then back it out 1/16th for a safety and call the high speed done.

The low speed is a bit more challenging. You really need to listen to what the motor sounds like when setting the ls needle.

Here is a down and dirty carb tuning vid I did last winter. I was tuning and filming at the same time so I couldn't turn the HS needle in, rev the motor and film it all at the same time. You'll see what I mean.

This is a CY 23 with an 813 carb and a keen eye will notice the vent tube for the tank hanging off the back of the car with a screw plugged into it so I don't have to smell the gas fumes, I should've removed this screw before tuning it, oops!

[ame=

[MEDIA=youtube]vrnfJDwOWxc[/MEDIA][/ame]

Trip..

ChuenouXiao said:
Wow so the video above is you?
Yup that's me. That buggy in the vid is the same buggy (but modified) as the Marder sitting next to Kermit. I have quite a few 1/5 scale vids on my channel. I'll be putting more up once Kermit starts to kick some ass.

rev9fan1

Na u helped me, I have the same name on YouTube as here, but I always wondered, if someone doesn't mind the smoke from running 30:1 is it still gonna have the same power as a 50:1 cause my brother said less oil makes u run faster

Deluge

You won't really see a performance increase. I didn't notice a different between 25:1 and 32:1. It's just less messy.

G

desismileys_6171.gif No power gains with less oil in these engines. Just less lubrication and seizes. LOL

Remember, you need that oil if you run with a leaner tune for performance.

Use a synthetic oil. That will eliminate the smoke.

rev9fan1

Man I just tried to tune my car, I kept it on the stand and floored it, it seems like its gonna explode....I'm scared to take it to that high of an rpm for that long

Deluge

So tune it on the ground. Do a high speed run, lean it a 16th, do another high speed run, check the plug color, if the plug color is good, lean it another 16th and then do another high speed run. Just repeat the process until you get a good plug color (Which is a brown paper bag color). Also, in order to get an accurate plug reading, kill the engine immediately after you do the high speed run. Don't let it idle.

rev9fan1

Yea I did one high speed run in the air and pulled the plug and it looked black sooooo rich I guess....but yes I will be doing a couple of high speed runs and test. Now if the plug is fouled right now can I use brake clean and a wired brush to clean it or do I need a new plug?

Trip..

rev9fan1 said:
Man I just tried to tune my car, I kept it on the stand and floored it, it seems like its gonna explode....I'm scared to take it to that high of an rpm for that long
Don't worry, you won't blow it up, it's a piston port with very mild ports. It doesn't have the flow to over rev itself. With a good top end pipe and massive porting, sure you could over rev it, but not a stock motor. I took a stock CY 23, bolted on a JetPro M/T pipe and ran the motor with no load, while chucked in the bench vice and it ran for 5 minutes until I was tired of listening to it. That 23 spins alot faster than the 30.

If you're not comfortable tuning it the way I do, that's fine. Tune it however you feel the most comfortable. As far as the plug, once it's fouled, it's always fouled. Throw it in the trash. Nothing works to clean the center electrode off after it has been fouled, I don't think even the old sandblast tricks works very well. It's 3 bux at any parts store and it's one less thing to worry about when your learning to tune. Eliminate all variables.

Stick with it, you'll get it.

rev9fan1

well if you say it wont blow up then its fine, i just had it on my lap so i was alittle concerned a piece of something was gonna blow through the engine and hit my nuts lol. I gotta get ear plugs cause it is loud!

G

rev9fan1 said:
well if you say it wont blow up then its fine, i just had it on my lap so i was alittle concerned a piece of something was gonna blow through the engine and hit my nuts lol. I gotta get ear plugs cause it is loud!
:eek:In your lap. Now that's crazy. :eek:

Deluge

rev9fan1 said:
What the...I don't even... :eek:

Trip..

Wow, I wasn't expecting that!

I would not recommend tuning ANY motor that close to ones gentleman's sausage. I said put it on a block of wood, not your wood!

Place it upon something, (not your lap) then rev it to the moon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts