• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Whats the longest redcat ran!!!

rev9fan1

Just curious whats the the longest anyone has had the stock engine running with out being rebuilt or anything. BAJA owners can chime in too!

cordy

Two years for me. I pre ordered mine with the first ones that were brought into the country. The secret is use it don't abuse it.Use the correct oil to gas ratio.Allways clean and oil the air filter.(I use my ol`s panty hose for the pre filter(outer wear).Change my plug every season.

Last edited by a moderator:

rev9fan1

about how many hrs you THINK might be on it, and how did you break it in when you did? and which car do you have?

G

In my need for speed Im always looking for a new engine to try. :D

The stock engines are not race ported. Most people look for a reason to improve the stock engines on the 5th scales.

rev9fan1

well one day ill have it faster, its just my brother thinks all gas rc cars are junk and he says they need to be rebuilt every 50 hrs and they arent reliable. His baja went through 2 motors and hes given up on 1/5 scale, and he is telling me mine will do the same...so im gonna prove him wrong.

rampage idiot

It took 7 months of running hard before I blew a cylinder gasket, I never even broke mine in first day out throttle servo broke truck flipped wide open throttle for at least 20 seconds runs great ever since LOL I run husky synthetic oil 25:1

cordy

Ok I have a xb,I allways use regular 2cycle oil not synthetic for the first gallon of break in.The reason the ring seats faster. After the first gallon you can use synthetic 2 cycle oil and your good to go. I just drive mine around easy for the first gallon(yes its boring)then after the first gallon let her rip.I clean and oil my air filter after every run sesssion.I use my ol`s panty hose for my prefilter(outer wear). I also change my plug every season. I also run the correct oil to gas ratio 5.12oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas=25:1.Also I keep my carberators breather clean. I made my own with a piece of brass and a piece of foam. DDM has a filter for it part #av493 you can look it up.Like rcdad says the bigger the engine the more up keep.

LightForce

My first XB 10Galons thru and pretty good powerfull engine too. Second maybe 4G , the most reliable engine I had was Zenoah G290 4 bolt. 12G thru then changed the ring and got another 2G thru, but exhaust bolts stripped out and coil mounts also cracked and coil was falling of the engine. Shortest life were race ported motors , full mods etc. 2G then new ring another 2g and goner... but crazy HP.

BertR

I have been ripping on mine for 5 months with no issues ,and like cordy I also use panty hose for pre filters a quick trim and a knot . I use LUCAS semi synthetic/smokeless

ChuenouXiao

rev9fan1 said:
Just curious whats the the longest anyone has had the stock engine running with out being rebuilt or anything. BAJA owners can chime in too!
well.... I think that depends on how experience you are on these engines :D If you are noob and run it too lean or don't know if dust or dirt is getting into the engine then you won't be having a engine for long right? :D

Deluge

I ran the stock 23cc (I have an MT V2) for about a year and a half before I upgraded. I still have the cylinder and piston to it, and they look pretty good. Could've gotten more out of it, I'm sure.

I use the "warm it up and beat it" break in method.

TerraKill

been caining my stock engine for almost 2 years now? and its still running strong and starts in 2-5 pulls from cold, having loads of fun with it still(i try and use it atleast once a week, and ALWAYS race it once a month at local track)

its all about the break in, tune, and how much you fiddle (thts what i think anyway)

ive NEVER taken my engine apart, and only changed the spark plug once(and thats only because i rolled and shattered the original)

all ive done to my engine is 8k clutch and baja 5t highflow muffler.

i can see were your brother is coming from tho, i do see people at my local track always messing around with there engines, but i belive there problem is to much messing around with it to start with :)

build ya engine properly once and it should treat you well, build it crap and it will cause u nothing but crap

ps, i have a 8 yearold strimmer(weed waker to you americans) it has basicly the same engine as are cars and still runs and cuts on the same piston+ring after 8+ years of abuse!

Ildy666

I know i got weed wackers 10+ years old and never rebuilt them.they start all the time and run good.but if nothing ever broke no one would have a job..lol...so they make these rc engines so u have to freshen them up every once in a while.

rev9fan1

thanks for all the input... unfortunately i did the break in with royal purple 2 cycle...sooo hopefully its ok. When they send me this new carburetor ill let you guys know how my engine is doing, also if i find the new carburetor is junk still im going to buy a walboro.

G

It never hurts to upgrade!

desismileys_4417.gif

alfred e numan

I do work on the hy engine quite a bit.- after 2 years of hard running the oem crank is as good as new- from what i have seen so far, the hy bottom end cases have a better fitment for the bearings than the cy or zen. I run 927 @ 32-1. 10 ounces of 91 octane non ethanol- 6 ox oz of vp 110 c- add one oz of 927.- yea, the bearings- seals are replaced on a regular basis.- zen seals- nachi 6001 mains.

Guantanamo Joe

I also have an old weed wacker... it has worked for years... however, not a single time has it ever jumped a dune, ramped off a hill, flipped end over end, or run into another weed wacker...

Im just saying- maybe there is a reason that weed wackers don't break as much :D

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
I also have an old weed wacker... it has worked for years... however, not a single time has it ever jumped a dune, ramped off a hill, flipped end over end, or run into another weed wacker...Im just saying- maybe there is a reason that weed wackers don't break as much :D
Very True. They also are not tuned for performance and do not rev worth a crap. ;)

alfred e numan

there is a really old sears weed wacker in the shed- must be at least 25 years old. The carb bolts to the bottom center of the lower end cases! What was once old is new agan!! except it has no reed valve---

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts