• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Very bad noise when trying to start

jonathan13

I just took my MT outside and tried starting it for a friend and all of a sudden it has a god awful grinding noise when I pull the cord and the engine is rotating. I took off the pullstart and turned the engine by hand and when the piston goes up and down it feels like terrible metal grinding. What in the heck has happened to my engine? I wanted to post here before attempting to start it anymore.

jonathan13

It ended up being a piece of debris stuck around the engine output shaft. I cleaned everything out and thank god she is fine.

G

Yeah, good to hear it was nothing.

JSoto777

I started my engine today an it sounded good for about 5 minutes, then it made this weird scraping noise. Sounded like it was coming from clutch. I took gear cover off and noticed the first and last gear have the nut/bolt tight to where they spin while the gear does. I noticed the middle gear will spring and the nut/bolt is loos. Like it is a bearing. I can spin the nut/bolt and hold the gear still at the se time.

I was wondering if this is normal??

I don't want to start removing the clutch and everything if the problem is here.

G

Yes that is normal. The middle shaft has a gear mounting square that does not have set screws to lock it to the shaft.

G

It could be a bad bearing or some debris in the clutch bell.

JSoto777

Ok. I took clutch out and started it. The sound is still there. The last time I started this car was about 2 months ago. Could it be I need oil in it??

G

The oil should be mixed in the gas. You are running a 2stroke mix right?

G

It should be more difficult to pull when the plug is in. That is the compression.

G

Was the plug wet? If yes it is flooded, which can make it much harder to turn over(pull).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts