• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

The "new" Redcat Steel Gears And Alum Plate!!

kryptonite

well, i got the steel gears in the mail today for testing. wow are they nice!. im going to do a short video review and some field testing maybe tomorrow/friday and into saturday. for now here are some pics and just a few thoughts..

the package that i recieved came with the blue alum gear plate all the bearings, vented clutch bell, 3-25t gears, 1-35t gear and the diffs first way shaft. preasembled to boot. you might think "why the gear plate?", but its an updated version to fit the metal gears. you'll see in the pics that they trimmed about an inch off of everything. installation would have takin about 10 minutes, but i spent alot of time drooling over her like an old pervert. i would of course sugjest replacing the oem bearings for some fasteddy's, but i'll be testing this set-up as i recieved it.

the first thing i noticed was the hole set-up is really skinny. they did away with the "square hubs" and used a round hub with 4 pins that hold the gears in place. the standard plastic gears are 1/2" thick were as the new steel gears are only 5/16" thick. the cool thing about everything being thinner is that even with the locking nut the gears don't stick out past the chassis. it makes the gear cover look like a monstrosity. im thinking some might be concerned about the pins holding the gears on, but im hoping they will be fine and only time will tell. im going to run as much fuel as i can over the next few days and really beat the snot out of those gears. as far as the "fit" of everything it was perfect. all the bearing seats were nice and snug, the gears lined up perfect and the mesh was right on. i'll keep you all posted and thro up some vid when its ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMADMAN

Are you saying the gear plate is more compact but the gear spacing is the same as the standard gear plate? Or are the gears slightly different requiring a mandatory NEW gear plate change?

kryptonite

IMADMAN said:
Are you saying the gear plate is more compact but the gear spacing is the same as the standard gear plate? Or are the gears slightly different requiring a mandatory NEW gear plate change?
the gear plate is the same thicknes as standard but there is no "throat" that sticks out of the "A" GEAR. the gears are more compact and closer together. you will need the supplied gear plate. if they would have stuck with the standard set-up using the old alum square their would have been an issue with the steel mounting againts the alum. the excess play between the 2(alum to steel)would have prematurely failed. there is also set-screw issues and so on. this is a basic failproof set-up.

IMADMAN

So if I get what you are saying- I just can't get the metal gears and run them on the original plastic or alum. gear plate. I need to get the whole NEW shebang right? Did Darin give you an idea or ballpark figure for the whole set up?

RampageHopUps

We were suprised as you guys. Either way, Redcat will be offering these at a seriously low cost.

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
So that will be a new clutch bell needed as well, how are the hubs held if no set screw...pin?
im suspecting a new clutch bell is in order as well becouse the shaft is shorter

the hubs are held in with a nice sized pin. the rubber O-ring that you see on picture#4 is what keeps the pin in. i tried to quickly pull it apart, but its kind of pressed in or simply very snug. when im done with my feild test i will take it all apart for further inspection. and fear not. i just installed a new clutch/spring and have 2 complet diffs ready for a quick install as well as drive shafts and plenty of spare parts to keep this thing going for a good while. it will be "TESTED".. lets just say i have a redcat mt, tow straps, 1 ton van and a 30' cliff.. and a great sence of humor:D:D

DemonRC

I got a request for a test please. Stick it on a stand and rev it up. Then throw a rock in there and duck and cover.

Hey, it'll happen.

kryptonite

catchaser said:
I got a request for a test please. Stick it on a stand and rev it up. Then throw a rock in there and duck and cover.
Hey, it'll happen.
DENIED!! ive all ready been shot at. the last thing i want to do is shoot stuff at myself:D

pwaicon

Congratulations kryptonite, I am sure you will put those gears to the test. I now you won’t hold anything back, I eagerly await you thoughts on the new gears and gear plate.

vifrio

So in order to upgrade to steel gears we need to purchase new Aluminum Gear Plate and new clutch bell also. Thats a Bummer... :mad:

Lets hope this setup is rock solid.

monsterman

Very nice the stock carrier was one of the first things that worried me when I got the Rally these are nice upgrades and are on my list to get..

csp1971

Contributor
IMADMAN said:
So if I get what you are saying- I just can't get the metal gears and run them on the original plastic or alum. gear plate. I need to get the whole NEW shebang right? Did Darin give you an idea or ballpark figure for the whole set up?
Super. Glad I ordered the current alloy gear plate for the shit plastic gears. So then I'll be able to purchase one again and keep the other one, or sell it for 20 bucks. :rolleyes:

DemonRC

hamster huey said:
Does the new plate have bearing slop like the first gear plate?
Krpt said the bearings were snug. I think we should see less bearing were with the new setup also. It's going to lessen the strain on them tremendously.

jigawatt

vifrio said:
So in order to upgrade to steel gears we need to purchase new Aluminum Gear Plate and new clutch bell also. Thats a Bummer... :mad:
Lets hope this setup is rock solid.
If thats the case... they should offer an upgrade kit :D

DemonRC

Hey, I had a thought. The only problem I see is the 4 pins on each hub snapping. Couldn't we just knock them out, redrill to 3mm, knock some 3mm's in, and drill the gear holes to 3mm? That would be pretty dam beefy. It should be dam easy to do also considering the holes would already be predrilled. All you gotta do is widen them out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts