• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stone deflector

cordy

One of the guy`s at our track came up with this idea,so I thought I would share with you.Thi is a very inexpensive belt drive stone deflector alturnative.This is my first feeble attempt. I used a plastic gallon milk container cuz its light,however I think a plastic laundry container would be better cuz it`s a little more sturdy.This is only food for thought,if you must have a cover for your belt. I had to use spacers to pull it away from the pulleys. I used nylon bolts ,nuts,and washers to keep the weight down.Remember this is my feeble prototype. 100_0693.jpg 100_0695.jpg 100_0696.jpg

DMZamora

I've just covered both sides with 12cm wide plastic sheets, attached to the sides with velcro. Helps a lot on keeping the crap out of the chassis.

Pictures tomorrow, as the truck is in the car and it's way too late to get it :)

TerraKill

wats wrong with the cover that comes with it?

(got me a belt drive coming so would be handy to know :) )

Guantanamo Joe

The one that comes with it does not really fit right... RCDAD is trying to get a new carbon fiber model made, but it is still in the prototype phase. These guys are coming up with great ways to cover it, but honestly, most run without a cover at all and it works just fine... and it looks really cool too :D

TerraKill

when you say it dosnt really fit, you mean the holes don't line up? or the shell dosnt fit over the pullys?

i might use the cover tht comes with it as a mould to vaccum form another, or i might make my own carbon fiber cover :) (i would paint it black tho as it wouldnt match my new colour scheme)

Guantanamo Joe

Honestly, I knew it didnt fit right when I got it, so I didnt even bother trying, so I don't know... but I think the holes don't quite line up right and there is a spot where it is danger close to the belt or a pulley... people have made them fit, but they are a little fragile as well. SOmeone else on here said they just fiberglassed the outside of it and it made a perfect mold for a new one. Good luck with the experimenting, but where I live, materials are hard to come by for home-made remedies :D

TerraKill

Guantanamo Joe said:
Honestly, I knew it didnt fit right when I got it, so I didnt even bother trying, so I don't know... but I think the holes don't quite line up right and there is a spot where it is danger close to the belt or a pulley... people have made them fit, but they are a little fragile as well. SOmeone else on here said they just fiberglassed the outside of it and it made a perfect mold for a new one. Good luck with the experimenting, but where I live, materials are hard to come by for home-made remedies :D
well if i cant make it fit ill just get a cabron fiber kit and do the outside of it like they did with fiberglass.

i would use fiberglass, but i just preffer to work with CF

ty for the info.

i probs wouldnt need a cover as its going on my track only shelf queen, but better be save then sorry, only takes one rouge stone

Last edited by a moderator:

Guantanamo Joe

Honestly, I got a rock or 2 in mine running over quarter size gravel, and it just flings them back out... as far as I know, out of the hundreds of people running them, nobody has broken a belt yet.

I considered getting some kydex sheeting and trying some fun things for my 5th scale... just havent done it yet. I want to make a body for my dunerunner with it- but have no experience and am just not ready for that kind of project :D

G

TerraKill said:
when you say it dosnt really fit, you mean the holes don't line up? or the shell dosnt fit over the pullys?i might use the cover tht comes with it as a mould to vaccum form another, or i might make my own carbon fiber cover :) (i would paint it black tho as it wouldnt match my new colour scheme)
For starters, it is made from thin polycarbonate. So if it takes a hit it will break.

It is also on the small side. The belt can rub on the top when it's running.

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
Honestly, I got a rock or 2 in mine running over quarter size gravel, and it just flings them back out... as far as I know, out of the hundreds of people running them, nobody has broken a belt yet.I considered getting some kydex sheeting and trying some fun things for my 5th scale... just havent done it yet. I want to make a body for my dunerunner with it- but have no experience and am just not ready for that kind of project :D
That is correct. No reports of broken belts. However, dirt is like sandpaper and will lower life expectancy of the belt.

G

TerraKill said:
well if i cant make it fit ill just get a cabron fiber kit and do the outside of it like they did with fiberglass.i would use fiberglass, but i just preffer to work with CF

ty for the info.

i probs wouldnt need a cover as its going on my track only shelf queen, but better be save then sorry, only takes one rouge stone
The one rough stone will not break the belt. It has some flex. It's more like thousands of stones over time will eat away at it. I had a guy trying to break the belt during testing. He was unable to do so. All we noticed was deterioration of the belt teeth.

DMZamora

Sorry dudes, completely forgot about this thread.

Here are the pictures of the cheap but efficient "shields" I've made:

th_IMG_4678.jpg th_IMG_4677.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alfred e numan

For those on a tight buget wanting to make there own parts- use womens heavy hold hair spray- you know, like they used on there hair for the beehive hairdos-- this stuff has the same ingredent thats in spendy mold release.- bult lots of stuff with this little known $ saver- hell, i used to build hi-end yacts, After regans tax, they went back to Italy.-- darn shame.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts