• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering update

GoffeeRedCat

Ol said:
I'm putting it on my car for field testing this week. If it fits as expected I'll send one out to Strodedawg for more testing.I'll throw up some pic's when it's on the car.
Swwweeeettttt cant wait!!! I really hope no more steering rack slop!!! :D :D

G

Ol said:
I'm putting it on my car for field testing this week. If it fits as expected I'll send one out to Strodedawg for more testing.I'll throw up some pic's when it's on the car.
Look'n forward to the pics as well! ;)

strodedawg

put the rack in a stock xb-e i convinced a fried to buy and fit was perfect. much more responsive than stock junk.

shock shaft and servo arm broke on the servo saver, but i think the hit he took from that losi would have shattered more than that with the stock set-up

removed from his buggy, added losi steering links :)

looking for a shock with a thicker shaft and mounting to an aluminum servo arm

have some AE shocks to try

awesome work

G

Have any pics?

Ol' fart

Sounds like you tested the hell out of it. Is the servo OK? I looked for a servo saver shaft 1/8th thick but I could not find one. LMK what you come up with.

strodedawg

ill check with him today, we are doing some indoor carpet offroad friday night so our attention has been split......pro-line shocks 3.5mm shaft hmmmmmm

bigfol

I reckon Ol'fart could knock up something smilar, that is spring loaded and oil filled, I think having a oil filled servo saver is key to that sort of design, its what I would do anyway.....It needs to have both oil, springs and valves just like inside a shock absorber for it to work the way we would need it too.....The body wouldn't need to be that big either, small stiff springs would work.

Obeast44

Banned
bigfol said:
I reckon Ol'fart could knock up something smilar, that is spring loaded and oil filled, I think having a oil filled servo saver is key to that sort of design, its what I would do anyway.....It needs to have both oil, springs and valves just like inside a shock absorber for it to work the way we would need it too.....The body wouldn't need to be that big either, small stiff springs would work.
I mentioned using an air based shock, that way if it needed to be disassembled for tuning it wouldnt be as messy to do in the field/track.

Here is something I have been eyeballing for it:

http://gmade.net/dealer/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=532&zenid=a3f57bda115da019b2b03df20b8eff1d

Last edited by a moderator:

bigfol

Yeah I agree, nice shock, but if you could use a shock like that with 2 springs inside the body and on either side of the plunger valve then you would have a neat and functional servo saver, using springs on the outside of the shock is asking for trouble, has anyone seen what's inside the elcon versions? They look like they are just soild shafts.....

Obeast44

Banned
bigfol said:
Yeah I agree, nice shock, but if you could use a shock like that with 2 springs inside the body and on either side of the plunger valve then you would have a neat and functional servo saver, using springs on the outside of the shock is asking for trouble, has anyone seen what's inside the elcon versions? They look like they are just soild shafts.....
What I was thinking of trying, if room permits, is using two of them. Take the top of one and the bottom of the other and bolt it to the servo horn. Then take the bottom/top that is left and mount it onto the steering post. If both shocks have similar spring weights the shafts should settle out at mid compression. That should give enough bound/rebound to be an effective saver.

The elcon version is a little complicated to explain. Just consider it like a double horizontally opposed shock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts