• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spark plug tuning 8-9-12

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
The heat from the engine distorts it. Is purpose is to keep the carb from heating up. The teflon gaskets keep the heat from transferring to the carb on the aluminum intake.
I see :D Thank Rcdad

Deluge

rev9fan1 said:
ok so i started her up and she isnt running right, i havent cut the screws BUT i don't think the gasket is leaking because i sprayed wd40 on it and it didnt stall at all... maybe ill try spraying it with brake clean and see if it stalls. But for some reason it wont accelerate when i punch the throttle it just boggs. Needle settings are stock, ill have to do some more fiddling with it i guess to see what the issue is.
If you can't find an air leak, it's a tune issue. I'd cut those bolts, though. Just to get it out of the way.

ChuenouXiao

Guys.... my last run... I've tuned my HSN to where if I go full WOT, my tires will spin out and my car will launch forward. Then it seems to reach the HSN power band and then scream!!! Its almost seems like there is a transition. Do I want to tune it to where there is a smooth transition or is this ok? Checking the plug at the end, seems that I was a bit rich :D cause I can see my plug is kinda wet. Not that wet but a bit. Honestly I'll rather run a bit rich then lean :D Your thoughts?

G

You can lean the LSN a bit if you have a lag. It should be a smooth transition. If your plug is wet it will eventually foul out.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
You can lean the LSN a bit if you have a lag. It should be a smooth transition. If your plug is wet it will eventually foul out.
So the LSN is probably the needle that I should adjust right? Cause the HSN screams.... or should I just mess with both to get a good transition?

G

If your transition bogs or has a lag the L needle is what you will be working with. The needles do work together.

ChuenouXiao

Oh boy... I think I foul my plug. My fairly new plug that came with my top end :D I was running it a couple hours ago... was going to lean it a bit but wanted engine to warm up. It doesn't seem like I was that rich anyways cause my car have so much torque and it screams at WOT. After a couple run back and forth... my engine dies. Can't start her no more. I got home, tested a old plug that I know was good and she fired up on the first pull. Wow... running rich really can fowl your plug? How long does it take to fowl it? Fowl mean I can't use it no more huh? Can I clean it and re-use it? My engine was screaming too...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

The plugs that come on the OBRs are crap. Mine quit after a couple of minutes of first start up. I had extra NGKs, put a new one in and good to go.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
The plugs that come on the OBRs are crap. Mine quit after a couple of minutes of first start up. I had extra NGKs, put a new one in and good to go.
So should I just toss it in the trash? Not re-useable no more?

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Correct, just use a new one.
My first plug.... not sure if its from OBR but the one that I know that is good.... still works so far :D I will toss the bad plug away then...

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Why are they crap RCdad besides they don't last long :D ? Something else I don't know about it? Note that the one I got is a NGK-CMR7H from OBR.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

If they send the NGK, that's different. I received a no name unmarked plug with my FMLR engine. It looked similar to the plug that came with the Redcat engines. I may have mis spoken. Maybe they all don't come with a generic plug. I assumed they did since I have read a few posts of plug issues on their engines.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Guys.... my last run... I've tuned my HSN to where if I go full WOT, my tires will spin out and my car will launch forward. Then it seems to reach the HSN power band and then scream!!! Its almost seems like there is a transition. Do I want to tune it to where there is a smooth transition or is this ok? Checking the plug at the end, seems that I was a bit rich :D cause I can see my plug is kinda wet. Not that wet but a bit. Honestly I'll rather run a bit rich then lean :D Your thoughts?
If it doesn't bog or lag when you accelerate, you're fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts