• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Some changes

krashkrieg

Contributor
I used a durafix generic brand called 'Aluminuweld' and got a great start to a cage mocked with 2 curved bars (front to back) and screwed to a board to hold in place...I 'welded' the six points that the 3 cross bars used, let it cool an hour, dropped it with the board 4 feet high and all joints busted off!

There is no way this stuff is strong enough tp hold the joints together, it doesn't BOND with with AL. All it gives you is a strong surface weld even using MAPP gas (burns hotter) instead of propane.

I will probably need to mock it all up, number the pcs and have a friend of a friend TIG it together. Durafix is a bust as far as I'm concerned.

scaremonger

krashkrieg said:
I used a durafix generic brand called 'Aluminuweld' and got a great start to a cage mocked with 2 curved bars (front to back) and screwed to a board to hold in place...I 'welded' the six points that the 3 cross bars used, let it cool an hour, dropped it with the board 4 feet high and all joints busted off!
There is no way this stuff is strong enough tp hold the joints together, it doesn't BOND with with AL. All it gives you is a strong surface weld even using MAPP gas (burns hotter) instead of propane.

I will probably need to mock it all up, number the pcs and have a friend of a friend TIG it together. Durafix is a bust as far as I'm concerned.
did you use a stainless steel wire brush to ruff up the surface to be welded? i found out that any other kind of brush will not work. and that step is very important. show us some pictures please. i have another cage on the works, and im wondering if i should have someone MIg it or TIG it for me. I trust the durafix stuff but not my handywork.

fat49f1

Contributor
scaremonger said:
did you use a stainless steel wire brush to ruff up the surface to be welded? i found out that any other kind of brush will not work. and that step is very important. show us some pictures please. i have another cage on the works, and im wondering if i should have someone MIg it or TIG it for me. I trust the durafix stuff but not my handywork.
Yes scare and krash i highly suggest getting someone to tig or mig your cage[ preferably tig] . I believe that stuff might work for a seam on an aluminum tank, but for any strength you have to fuse the 2 parts with more heat. jmo

Last edited by a moderator:

krashkrieg

Contributor
scaremonger said:
That's funny I trust my handiwork and not the durafix...lol

The AL was not scraped up, did you see a video that said the roughing up was necessary? I can't imagine that it will help bond the joints together THAT much better but I am going to give it a try with some scrap pcs tomorrow when I have some time..Bond it, then smack the piece around a little..I'll let you know...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts