• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Some changes

scaremonger

Well if you have been following SCAREs truck you know that the last run broke the stearing componets upart. When the servo saver came off at the track i lost a few bushings and screws. the plate that holds the SS also bent. Because of the new cage comming, i figured that some of the trucks components like the braces are obsolete. Also the holes that the old cage fit on. so i made a new one omiting these holes. http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/SCAREMONGER_2009/Parts/IMG_1289.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/SCAREMONGER_2009/Parts/IMG_1295.jpg

You can't see it but the brass bushings are not brass anymore. I could not find them anywhere so i was forced to make some at home out of somekind of plastic. I also made some for the ss lower brace in hope that it might get rid of some of the play that exist. no longer the same size hole. http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/SCAREMONGER_2009/Parts/IMG_1293.jpg

Its still not running. working on the 28.5 kit.

scaremonger

Here is a shot at the new cage still waiting for a torch.

IMG_1251.jpg

/monthly_2010_06/IMG_1251.jpg.324369250c2cee34de9cebf92d5d07b1.jpg

scaremonger

yeah. i also took out the braces on the diff plates. Give me some predictions. lol

krashkrieg

Contributor
OooFa...That's gonna hurt...sorry to say Scare...gotta agree with Fat..

It will fold like a foil serving tray...the sides are what give the chassis structural support...

Obeast44

Banned
Actually it may be pretty stiff. He has the chassis pretty well boxed in with that cage.

Scaremonger, try twisting the shock towers and pushing/pulling them as well. It well tell ya if theres any flex.

fat49f1

Contributor
Put some more triangular bracing down to the chassis plate and you should be in good shape. don't take it the wrong way,i hope i am wrong.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Sorry, I hope I am wrong as well, just looking to help. All the stiffening seems to be top by shocks and none near the chassis. If you add the cross brace stiffeners like FAT49 says, you should be good to go with a lighter truck...those sides prolly weighed 1/4lb each ...lol

scaremonger

[ame]

[/ame]
Thanks guys for your advice. it seems that i like to learn the hard way. but this time i stopped before it really cost me. you were all right. fortunatly the only thing that took some damage was the cage. Several times i tried to fix some of the welds and in doing so, damaged the aluminum. Here is a friendly tip, Don't heat the aluminum too mutch or to many times. The aluminum becomes brittle and looses its solidity. It feels like your holding a hollow tube. Well this is where the welds broke. and when that happened the strongest connection bent upwards. The funny thing is that i realy was going to add the front brace, but din't want to take it all appart for the fithe time. back to the drawing bord.

krashkrieg

Contributor
That truck is pretty speedy Sounds like a pocket bike.. lol...Cool place to bash around, looks like a dry lake bed.

and THANKS for the tip, I just started playing around with that stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts