• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rovan 30.5cc 4 bolt engine upgrade

Phill

Thats one bad ass engine

I'll be VERY interested in seeing the finished product

LPREMO9

ProStangRacing said:
Now lets face it, not everyone can go and drop $500+ dollars on a ported race engine or wants to put a top end kit on a stock tired low end HY engine. So I went and tried a cheap way to make some more power and man did it work! Rovan rc offers 30.5cc complete 4 bolt head high compression long block kits for under $100 ! I already run a Rovan 30.5cc Baja and it seems to move well and is pretty reliable so I figured why not try the same engine in my Rampage XT. Basically the kit comes with everything you'll need to do the whole job even a flywheel puller tool and a piston stopper tool. It also includes a full gasket set. All your existing HY 30cc components such as your exhaust, clutch housing, flywheel, intake manifold, plastics, and pull starter will all directly swap over to the new 4 bolt engine.

For some of you who are looking just to bolt on an engine and not want to be involved with building the engine, you can get the engine complete for $190 or so including a Walbro WT997 carb and 8,000rpm clutch. However, you will still have to change over the clutch housing because the new complete engine comes with a HPI Baja clutch housing.

Now, my stock HY 30cc engine with the a HPI air filter upgrade, 8k clutch and a Jetpro side mount tuned pipe in my Rampage XT was the same speed and acceleration as a stock Rampage XB with a 8k clutch so to me that was just too slow for me.

Now that I have installed the new Rovan 30.5cc just the first time starting it WOW, what an exhaust tone and loudness difference! After my break in cycle, I then proceeded to race the same Rampage XB that I have raced with the old set up and what a difference! Out of the hole, I leave him, when the engine hits its power band the truck now violently torque steers from the power and screams in the top end leaving my friends Rampage in the dust!

Now I know some of you guys are gonna knock the route I went using a cheap china Rovan 30.5cc engine but I wouldn't even second guess doing it again, I am more than happy with the outcome!

:D
I was reading your post, and I am going your route LOL. Was wondering how its holding up if you still have it . One more question what is the torque on the head bolts and the crank bolts ?

ProStangRacing

LPREMO9 said:
I was reading your post, and I am going your route LOL. Was wondering how its holding up if you still have it . One more question what is the torque on the head bolts and the crank bolts ?
Engine is still running like a complete animal! I don't remember the spec that I torqued it to but I used the spec that O'neal brothers video I watched on you tube. I have no complaints about the Rovan 30.5cc engine. I am still waiting to run some of my friends with their Baja's to see where I stand against them because running 30cc stock engine Rampages isn't even a close race with the power of this little china special! Gonna change to some baja wheel adapters so I can get rid of the mushy stock tires which cause the XT to violently torque steer.

crazyfast

Last edited by a moderator:

rampage idiot

crazyfast said:
So is this the kit your talking about?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rovan-RC-30-5cc-4-Bolt-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-Fits-HPI-Baja-5b-5T-5SC-King-Motor-/251415061119?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8981627f

Any issues with the factory drive train after swapping the new engine?

And do you have a link to that youtube video? I was going to pay $79 + shipping for a lightweight flywheel, but if this is only $10 and I'd get a lot more power, than this sounds like the route to go!!
Trust me a lightened flywheel will help a small amount but not a big noticeable difference, plus I took mine off because I was having overheating issues in hot temps!

G

The full mod by RCMK I have in the Bug has a lightened flywheel. It doesn't seem to get any hotter then my other engines, but might not have as much material removed.

Keep an eye on that plug color just to be safe. ;)

rampage idiot

RCDAD said:
The full mod by RCMK I have in the Bug has a lightened flywheel. It doesn't seem to get any hotter then my other engines, but might not have as much material removed. Keep an eye on that plug color just to be safe. ;)
I was having the heat issue with the ESP championship ported 30.5

G

What kind of temps were you seeing?

rampage idiot

RCDAD said:
What kind of temps were you seeing?
I don't have exact temps cause I have no temp gun but on all 4 of my engines I use the heavy graphite gaskets and running that engine before adding the flywheel never had a problem, running a 990 with good plug color after adding flywheel could feel a difference after running, but kept melting exhaust coupler and pipe to cylinder gasket, plug still had tan color, removed flywheel and never had the problem since, I don't know if it makes a difference but the flywheel I used was the one DDM brands, I have read of people having same issue on HPI forum with other brands of flywheels, to be honest I just didn't notice that big of a difference with it on, would be nice to see dyno specs but we know that isn't gonna happen

G

Good to know....

It makes sense if there is smaller fins, that there would be less air flow.

rampage idiot

RCDAD said:
Good to know....It makes sense if there is smaller fins, that there would be less air flow.
If I remember correctly a good while ago someone on here said something about this I am thinking it was Deluge but I'm not sure

ProStangRacing

Ok so for the winter I havent had much time to run the Rampage but since this weekend is looking warmer I'll try and get some run time in and take a video for you guys to see the diffterence in speed and power from a stock XB with a Jet Pro pipe compared to my Rovan 30.5cc powered XT with a Jet Pro pipe. The video will speak for itself . I'll see about even radar gun speed tests aswell.

ProStangRacing

crazyfast said:
So is this the kit your talking about?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rovan-RC-30-5cc-4-Bolt-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-Fits-HPI-Baja-5b-5T-5SC-King-Motor-/251415061119?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8981627f

Any issues with the factory drive train after swapping the new engine?

And do you have a link to that youtube video? I was going to pay $79 + shipping for a lightweight flywheel, but if this is only $100 and I'd get a lot more power, than this sounds like the route to go!!
Yup thats the exact kit I bought. The drivetrain is holding up pretty good. Havent broke anything yet and went through the car last night and not showing any real wear on drive cups and gearing. I did install the larger bearing gear plate when i first got the truck so im sure that helps stiffen up the truck alittle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts