• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rovan 30.5cc 4 bolt engine upgrade

ProStangRacing

Now lets face it, not everyone can go and drop $500+ dollars on a ported race engine or wants to put a top end kit on a stock tired low end HY engine. So I went and tried a cheap way to make some more power and man did it work! Rovan rc offers 30.5cc complete 4 bolt head high compression long block kits for under $100 ! I already run a Rovan 30.5cc Baja and it seems to move well and is pretty reliable so I figured why not try the same engine in my Rampage XT.

Basically the kit comes with everything you'll need to do the whole job even a flywheel puller tool and a piston stopper tool. It also includes a full gasket set. All your existing HY 30cc components such as your exhaust, clutch housing, flywheel, intake manifold, plastics, and pull starter will all directly swap over to the new 4 bolt engine.

For some of you who are looking just to bolt on an engine and not want to be involved with building the engine, you can get the engine complete for $190 or so including a Walbro WT997 carb and 8,000rpm clutch. However, you will still have to change over the clutch housing because the new complete engine comes with a HPI Baja clutch housing.

Now, my stock HY 30cc engine with the a HPI air filter upgrade, 8k clutch and a Jetpro side mount tuned pipe in my Rampage XT was the same speed and acceleration as a stock Rampage XB with a 8k clutch so to me that was just too slow for me.

Now that I have installed the new Rovan 30.5cc just the first time starting it WOW, what an exhaust tone and loudness difference! After my break in cycle, I then proceeded to race the same Rampage XB that I have raced with the old set up and what a difference! Out of the hole, I leave him, when the engine hits its power band the truck now violently torque steers from the power and screams in the top end leaving my friends Rampage in the dust!

Now I know some of you guys are gonna knock the route I went using a cheap china Rovan 30.5cc engine but I wouldn't even second guess doing it again, I am more than happy with the outcome!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

Thats great and if your happy with the outcome screw all the haters.I agree with you.if thats what you want and can afford so be it.having fun is the goal so congrats on your engine build....

phreerider

maybe this is a good time to ask this, whats the difference between KINGMOTORS and ROVAN ..they seem the same both clones of HPI...which run FEULIE, right ?

feulie isn't that same motor in redcat? sorry for the veer

i think the long blocks(30.5) 2 or 4bolt ver. are really the same, some custom porting make a difference no doubt along with aftermarket quality parts to lighten the rotating mass . the decent carb/pipe combo , tuned well, will bring about pretty close matched performance.

the king motor stuff seems quite the bargain (rovan , or whatever) . definitely considered getting one of the baja rigs. in one description it reads "ultimate shelf queen". i assume that means all show no go, u would think they wouldn't want to imply that. anyway...

nice project , do you still have the fuelie long block?

Phill

I swapped my 30.5 cc for a 4 bolt 29cc from OBR and would never consider going back.

4 bolt is the way to go for sure.

alfred e numan

Myself, I snag up new pull off parts from builders when i can, Buy up a bunch of Nachi bearings- open and stuffer cranks when on sale. Can assemble a long block for about 100 to 150 dollars. This takes the stress off the wallet and frees me up to run the rods outta these engines. No shelf queens in this camp--lol.

G

If it is a HY it should be ok. That's what is in the cats. However there are a handful of Chinese engine manufactures. Keep us posted on its durability.

alfred e numan

There was a 3 bolt engine out for a while from overseas. No kidding! A 3 bolt. Is that something like the 3 legged dog. As kids, this dude would show up in town to buy beer for saturday night, the dog would jump outta the jeep and sniff the sign posts- fire hydrants- poor dog---lol!!

Ildy666

I have a 3 bolt in my smartech thunderbolt.gonna port one of my 30.5 redcat motors and throw it in.i don't need anything to rad in that one.but i agree i like the 4 bolts better...

phreerider

Ildy666 said:
I have a 3 bolt in my smartech thunderbolt.gonna port one of my 30.5 redcat motors and throw it in.i don't need anything to rad in that one.but i agree i like the 4 bolts better...
same here ..definitely port 30.5, that'll be fun!

... used and swapped out a good place to start.

scott

I got to change my engine also.my HSP is running a feulie 30.5 and i really think its quite ordinary.another op has the same buggy as me and said he has put a Zenoah 29cc and the thing really moves.think it is about $289.i only hope if i get this engine,my Bajer will also rock.

G

I got to change my engine also.my HSP is running a feulie 30.5 and i really think its quite ordinary.another op has the same buggy as me and said he has put a Zenoah 29cc and the thing really moves.think it is about $289.i only hope if i get this engine,my Bajer will also rock.
Do you guys have a RCMK dealer on that side of the pond?

teedog12

ProStangRacing said:
Now lets face it, not everyone can go and drop $500+ dollars on a ported race engine or wants to put a top end kit on a stock tired low end HY engine. So I went and tried a cheap way to make some more power and man did it work! Rovan rc offers 30.5cc complete 4 bolt head high compression long block kits for under $100 ! I already run a Rovan 30.5cc Baja and it seems to move well and is pretty reliable so I figured why not try the same engine in my Rampage XT. Basically the kit comes with everything you'll need to do the whole job even a flywheel puller tool and a piston stopper tool. It also includes a full gasket set. All your existing HY 30cc components such as your exhaust, clutch housing, flywheel, intake manifold, plastics, and pull starter will all directly swap over to the new 4 bolt engine.

For some of you who are looking just to bolt on an engine and not want to be involved with building the engine, you can get the engine complete for $190 or so including a Walbro WT997 carb and 8,000rpm clutch. However, you will still have to change over the clutch housing because the new complete engine comes with a HPI Baja clutch housing.

Now, my stock HY 30cc engine with the a HPI air filter upgrade, 8k clutch and a Jetpro side mount tuned pipe in my Rampage XT was the same speed and acceleration as a stock Rampage XB with a 8k clutch so to me that was just too slow for me.

Now that I have installed the new Rovan 30.5cc just the first time starting it WOW, what an exhaust tone and loudness difference! After my break in cycle, I then proceeded to race the same Rampage XB that I have raced with the old set up and what a difference! Out of the hole, I leave him, when the engine hits its power band the truck now violently torque steers from the power and screams in the top end leaving my friends Rampage in the dust!

Now I know some of you guys are gonna knock the route I went using a cheap china Rovan 30.5cc engine but I wouldn't even second guess doing it again, I am more than happy with the outcome!

:D
Have a link?

G

Yes.

They have been a great performer for a really great price here. You might want to check out Gizmo Motors.

TheCount

RCDAD said:
Do you guys have a RCMK dealer on that side of the pond?
Yeah we do have a few places i have found, some on ebay some on LargeScaleDownunder forum.

After xmas i get a 1k bonus from my job for 20 years service. It will going on this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360799317087

I'm not sure how the build will go, do i put it in my MT, DR or make a whole new vehicle from the spare short DR chassis i have sitting around?

I can't decide. Most likely my MT or the spare chassis. Plus i have a lot of upgraded ideas for where ever it goes!!! like custom belt drive,working centre diff & tube steel custom roll cage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts