• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Project M-XT

crazyfast

After breaking a couple bodies in the winter cold weather, I've decided to spend my time modding the beast instead of bashing.

Decided to turn my XT into a lighter/faster version of an MT. I will be plasti dipping my XT body and I will also be running a trimmed XCS body. I found out I purchased my truck from forum member Dreggsta. He did a GREAT job upgrading this. Here's what was done when I got it

*upgraded bearings throughout all of drivetrain in transmission gear, center/front/rear differentials

*freshly lubed differentials

*ngk spark plug

*fuel cap vented

*killer bee

*aluminum front/rear shock towers

*MT shocks front/rear

*DDM Dominator pipe

*Drive cups are reinforced by pressing copper pipe over the drive cups

*24mm hpi baja wheel adapters

*XQ throttle servo

*Hi Tec 805 sterring servo

*5900mah 6v battery hump pack

*aluminum transmission gear plate with oversized bearings

*aluminum center diff mounts

*7075rc front/rear aluminum wheel hubs with oversized bearings

*front bumper

*998 walbro carb

*dt1 dual flow oiled foam filter and prefilter

*pull cover prefilter

Project M-XT

Imex J-7 wheels/tires - DONE

Killer Bee wire pull starter - DONE

replaced lower shock mount bolts with longer bolt/lock nut - DONE

Aluminum body posts - DONE

Shoe Goo/drywall mesh taped bodies - DONE

8,000rpm clutch - DONE

10mm axles - DONE

Custom aluminum Roll Cage

Paint roll cage other interior parts to match body

View attachment 7015

Last edited by a moderator:

crazyfast

Just painted the Bead Locks. Because they're black, I laid a flat WHITE primer to help the gloss red pop. I used Rustoluem plastic specific paint/primer. I tried to plasti dip them but for some reason the red just would not sit on the edges and would fall down into the low spots?? Maybe a bad spray tip? I'm about to go spray the 2nd coat of plasti dip on the XT body. Will have some pics in a day or two.

crazyfast

plasti dipped the body. Not too impressed with it. After 4 coats it still seems pretty thin. I'm worried about it's durability, so I think after I get the numbers and other decals on, I'll lay some clear over it to help protect it. I'm giving the bead locks another day to cure before spraying the clear. The red bead locks should really make things pop!

001.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/001.jpg.5e0205f65c70b4d2aaaad3c89b14e52d.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/002.jpg.dd2697e744c93ce845a9ff340e5727ae.jpg

Sergio

claude bigelow said:
Looks good, what exactly is plasti dipped
Plasti dipped I a cool product it's like a liquid plastic I have use it before on servos to make them waterproof it also comes in spray can which is what I use you can use it for many things like covering the hsndles of tools like adjustable wrenches you dipped it in the stuff to have a layer of plastic.

crazyfast

claude bigelow said:
Ok thanks, where can it be purchased.
Walmart, Meijers, Lowes, Home Depot, and a lot of auto parts stores have black or white. After A LOT of searching, I discovered 'Auto Value' parts auto parts store carries the Blaze colors of plasti dip.

Search 'plasti dip' on youtube and you'll find TONS of videos that'll answer most any question about it. I'm thinking because I'm painting everything in my basement, it might be a bit cold which could be why it's not spraying like it should. This stuff sprays best in 70+ temps.

crazyfast

Some fresh 10mm axles won't hurt lol. I know probably not a big deal when running the baja adapters, but couldn't pass them up. :p

crazyfast

Ground clearance with the J-7's is CRAZY!! Would like to see what an MT has compared to a pop can so I can see how close I'm getting to an MT lol. :rolleyes: ;) ;)

017.jpg

004.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

004.jpg

016.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/017.jpg.00c7ecd214d5626724ba3bc4fd33a6d4.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/004.jpg.7bda071102aa0f7723e2fc9b01b1ee69.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/016.jpg.8c5c42a80d0da106f8bfb8a7f616de8e.jpg

G

Red beadlocks look great!

crazyfast

Thanks RCDAD! I'm not sure if I'm digging the paint scheme though. I'm waiting for some red numbers and other small decals. Hopefully it'll come together as great as it does in my head LOL

claude bigelow said:
Those tires are really Hot!!! Not if you mentioned where you pick those up at.
Got them off Amazon, but the actual company is Phoenix Model Company, Inc.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/IMEX-Scale-Baja-Mounted-Jumbo/dp/B005LIYUZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390952869&sr=8-1&keywords=imex+j-7[/ame]

crazyfast

Still have to finish the rear aluminum body posts for the XSC body, but it won't be much higher than this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts