• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Paddel tire mods?

rocdog75

Has anybody done a paddle tire set up on the dune runner yet? Im guessing its called the dune runner for a reason? If you do an HPI rim set up using there hubs what do you do in the fronts when the buggy is 4wd. The last question would be if you use ribbed paddles in front how would it handle being 4wd in the sand would there be any traction?

forist

Contributor
I would run all 4 paddles going to try it some time I have the rims just need tires. I would think that it would be killer in sand like that.

Martin

With paddle you don't need 4wd anyway, if you have a good engine, you will run moslty on rear wheel, I can go further on a sharp hill with my 2wd paddle baja than my 4wd rampage with 4 bowtie, I see no problem to use ribbed front tire.

Try 5T paddle, they are bigger, I plan 4 of them for my TT.

In 1/8 scale there is ribbed paddle for front, unfortunately in 1/5 they are not available.

firefighter9780

i have also been looking into running all 4 paddles i have hpi adapters for my rampage just don't know if i should buy the cheap ones off ebay with wheels or which route to go. the truck does pretty good with the tires that are on it(stock i think) just figured it would do even better. looking for any help i can get thanks

rocdog75

Ok well I just spent the big money and bought two sets (x4) of rear HPI hubs, nuts, some split six wheels front and rear for the 5t and sand buster paddles for rear and ribbs for front all baja 5t size, I think this will work? I also just bought an RD loggics pipe if all goes well i will send pic's soon! The front driveshaft will also be comming out 2wd baby.

rocdog75

Well the thing is im going to Pismo Beach here in So Cal. and the dunes are endless and pretty big. So I'm planning and doing some insane jumping and it will corner alot better in 2wd but hill climbing may suck. I will take pic's going on the 4th of july weekend.

firefighter9780

i didnt know if the truck in the video was a mt and the paddles i have been looking at are about half as wide i didnt know if that would be a problem for me in the loose sand at the dunes just wondering. thanks for all you info and help i think i will be buying all four and seeing what happens over the 4th

mideroos

Hi guys

I just had to go down and shoot a short video after I found this. Running my Dunerunner with sandpaddles. The exhaust got loose after a short while but it was lots of fun!

Enjoy [ame]

[/ame]
/ mideroos

lightning73

That hill is Dunerunner heaven! You are one lucky s.o.b to have a hill like that at your disposal. Cool vid man thanks for posting it!

Martin

Nice spot you have also.

I tested 5B paddle today in 2wd mode, and I'm not very impressed by the result, maybee 4 of them is different.

Ron E

Contributor
wbrucex said:
2wd with paddles, is the way to go
ya, you said that twice now. I have both 2wd and 4wd so why is 2wd the way to go?

ok, that sounds a little smartass, sorry. BUT, what is your reasoning for insisting 2wd is the better way to go. pic's or vid's? the op's vehicle is 4wd, so your saying he shoud run it in 2wd with only rear paddles?

Last edited by a moderator:

firefighter9780

just got my 4 paddles in the mail and put on the hpi adapters and cant wait for the 4th to get here to try them out. i am a little concerned they are almost half the width as the tires on my rampage so i am hoping it will still float good over the sand and not just dig in. does anyone know if there are any paddles the same size as my rampage tires (the huge monster truck tires )

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

I can think a few positives of 2wd off hand and Im sure theres more:

less weight (remove all 4wd drivetrain parts)

less wear and tear (drivetrain, engine, tires)

faster engine spool up

tighter turning radius

I like 4wd where I drive but I can see where 2wd could come in handy. Lucky us the Rampage and Dunerunner can be ran either way!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts