• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

No start

Nitrors4pr

Hey Guys, I got my first Redcat yesterday and I can get the thing to start. First I just want to mention that I am not new to 1/5 or gas engines as I have a 3 baja's, DBXL, and a few FG's:cool:.

This Motor just won't start or even seem like it wants too. It brand new....... It wouldn't start with the stock carb so I replaced that with two other NEW walbro carbs (668 & 603) I had laying around and still no start.

Also replaced the spark plug with an NGK CMR7HX and removed all the gas out the motor to ensure its not flooded and still no fire.....

This is really starting to piss me off as I was scared to even buy a redcat because of the stories I've heard but based on the awesome price I still went ahead and purchased it:mad:. But now I can't even get the motor to fire.

Please any help or tricks that I could try that would help:confused:. Thanks

Ildy666

Do u have spark?sounds like a no spark issue. Sometimes the red kill switch button gets stuck or just shorts out causing a no spark issue .also the coil gap can cause that also. I'm sure u know how to Check for spark since u have 1/5 already . I'd verify spark and go from there...

Rc1/5th

Try to adjust the ignition coil, it maybe loose, or not in the proper gap

Nitrors4pr

Yeah I did check for spark which it has even though it seems a little faint to me but I will take the coil off my OBR motor in my Baja and see if it starts. Thanks guys, ill report back after its done !

phreerider

plug wet after attempts ? can u smell fuel? if yes, then check for spark. and like Ildy666 says go thru kill set up.

Nitrors4pr

Yes I have gas on the Spark plug after attempts to start. The mailman just came so a new 990 carb and CR7HIX plug has been installed and still no start. I am in the process of swapping out the coil from my baja so I'll have an update shortly. Also no kill switch or anything like that installed right now!

Nitrors4pr

Alright Guys thanks so much for your help, It finally started. It seems to be the coil was defective. Thanks again !

Nitrors4pr

I don't know because it had spark but it was very faint, I could barely see it. But I'm happy its working now, that 8hr breakin process is crazy !!

Ice_2k

No start

Check out the OBR break-in video, I think the instructions in the manual are cr&p, they also mention not going over 5000rpm which is ridiculous since the clutch engages at 6000rpm.

Nitrors4pr

Ice_2k said:
Check out the OBR break-in video, I think the instructions in the manual are cr&p, they also mention not going over 5000rpm which is ridiculous since the clutch engages at 6000rpm.
I've watched the OBR video before and I agree with the manual being cr@p it doesn't sound right for a breakin procedure. I guess they want you to basically let it idle and I turned the idle screw in to get the idle up close to 5k.

Ice_2k

Or maybe they just want to be fully covered in case of problems.

Nitrors4pr

Yeah that too....I had to charge the nimh pack 3 times so far today. It just doesn't hold a good charge.

RampageHopUps

The stock pack should last around 45 minutes to an hour. Get a DDM 5200 pack for long days.

phreerider

coil may have been set too far off magneto, if wire has contiunty , might want to reset and see

8 hours ! come on ---> 10 min easy running to heat up then cool, do this 4 times at least, thats it

maybe 4 hours of natural castor mix @ 20:1(which is about a gallon)... then move to 25:1 syn mix

8hours of easy slow running is just going to powder the clutch ... about an hour tops to breakin , then start ripping it!

BertR

If you have as many 1/5th as you say you do...You should have your own method or process of a proper break in without looking at a manual.

Nitrors4pr

Ice_2k said:
How long did you get out of it?
About 45min but that's just idling and it wouldn't respond until I recharge the battery again. I need to upgrade it !

Nitrors4pr

RampageHopUps said:
The stock pack should last around 45 minutes to an hour. Get a DDM 5200 pack for long days.
Yeah about 45 mins but that's just at idle before It dies, definitely gonna need a killer bees on this.

Nitrors4pr

phreerider said:
coil may have been set too far off magneto, if wire has contiunty , might want to reset and see8 hours ! come on ---> 10 min easy running to heat up then cool, do this 4 times at least, thats it

maybe 4 hours of natural castor mix @ 20:1(which is about a gallon)... then move to 25:1 syn mix

8hours of easy slow running is just going to powder the clutch ... about an hour tops to breakin , then start ripping it!
I find it ridiculous for 8 hour break in, after 3 hours idling it just stopped and was being a pain to start again, today is another day ill be fooling with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts