• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to the Forum and 1/5th scale.. Hop-up suggestions?

F-Fanatic

Having just got here and browsed the forum for a bit, I think I can safely say not a single person's XB on here looks even close to mine, with all the after-market parts and whatnot. That being said, I'd appreciate any information regarding hop-ups to a stock vehicle. I also have a few questions.

1. Does anyone out there know of a beastly pipe other than the stock exhaust that isn't worth it's weight in gold? I've seen some on a Rampage hop-up website but they're $160+

2. Will the included failsafe apply full break when Rx battery dies? This seems a lot more likely, as my Tx has a battery indicator. The Rx does not.

3. What's the bag I've seen over people's air-filters? Doesn't this restrict air-flow? I plan on doing a lot of running in the dirt, (it's a desert out here), so are they necessary?

4. Tuning on this is fairly strange, and the engine manual was in poor English and ambiguous on tuning. I'm more familiar with nitro, so are the symptoms/principles of tuning the same? What am I adjusting by changing high/low-end needles? The manual said it was the fuel-oil mixture. Isn't it fuel/AIR? ;)

5. I'm not a huge fan of the included stock tires, and I hear there are tire adapters to convert HPI to Redcat. Where could I purchase these? I'm looking for something that's a bit better at cutting through the terrain around here.

That's about it for now. Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm new to the gas scene. Thanks ahead of time

Last edited by a moderator:
G

F-Fanatic said:
Having just got here and browsed the forum for a bit, I think I can safely say not a single person's XB on here looks even close to mine, with all the after-market parts and whatnot. That being said, I'd appreciate any information regarding hop-ups to a stock vehicle. I also have a few questions.1. Does anyone out there know of a beastly pipe other than the stock exhaust that isn't worth it's weight in gold? I've seen some on a Rampage hop-up website but they're $160+

2. Will the included failsafe apply full break when Rx battery dies? This seems a lot more likely, as my Tx has a battery indicator. The Rx does not.

3. What's the bag I've seen over people's air-filters? Doesn't this restrict air-flow? I plan on doing a lot of running in the dirt, (it's a desert out here), so are they necessary?

4. Tuning on this is fairly strange, and the engine manual was in poor English and ambiguous on tuning. I'm more familiar with nitro, so are the symptoms/principles of tuning the same? What am I adjusting by changing high/low-end needles? The manual said it was the fuel-oil mixture. Isn't it fuel/AIR? ;)

5. I'm not a huge fan of the included stock tires, and I hear there are tire adapters to convert HPI to Redcat. Where could I purchase these? I'm looking for something that's a bit better at cutting through the terrain around here.

That's about it for now. Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm new to the gas scene. Thanks ahead of time
1. Jetpro also makes pipes. But $160 is a good price for a tuned pipe. Just look around. They can be as high as 3 bills.

2. Ditch that fail safe its worthless. You must get a kill switch. A failsafe does no good if a servo goes bad.

3. Outerwares prefilter. It does not restrict flow.

4. Fuel/oil is 25:1 The base carb settings are 1 1/2 out on the high needle and 1 1/4 out on the low. You can lean it out in small increments for performance tuning. There are some good tutorials on YouTube.

5. I sell them as we'll as Rampage Hopups and 7075RC all of which are forum supporters. Just click the banners to the left.

Hope this helps some.

F-Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, RCD. I've been looking at a new Tx/Rx combo that will accommodate a kill-switch - preferrably one with an aux channel - and found this;

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/61_119/products_id/148962/n/Airtronics-MX-Sport-FHSS-2-24-GHz-Radio-w-92524-3-Channel-Receiver

Passing over a new Tx, how does a killswitch set up and operate? From what I've seen most 3+ channel radios come with an aux button/channel so you can kill your RC from a distance. Where would I find a Tx with this feature? Also, could you recommend any decent radios that work well with the XB?

BertR

The kill switch or I should say fail safe that is built in to the rx/tx is junk !! you need a killer rc kill switchhttp://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3569/.f it will work with a 2 ch you will need the y adapter to run off the steering servo and if you want to kill it just turn off the tx

G

I have read many positive reviews on the Airtronics radios. Flysky makes some nice inexpensive radios also. The Super Bee kill switch will work on just about any radio, including the stock two channel. You just have to turn off the radio to kill the engine since there is not an extra channel available.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts