• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New carb - no start

Sergio

I don't know if it helps but when I put my manifold intake I placed de gasket the wrong way I have the 990 and its got two little holes and the gasket only has one after I fix that the thing started rigth up.

ok... i tried the guide with no success.

i tried new plugs. noticed on one new plug the spark was less than on an other one. used the good one.. no start.

I pulled the side cover off, checked the ignition coil gap (there is no adjustment on it anyway) and i checked the alignment of the flywheel magnet in relationship to the piston position. seems to be ok, so i do not believe the flywheel came loose.

But here is what i did noticed : im getting fuel out of the airfilter side of the carb. plug does not foul and engine does not seem to be flooded. after trying to start that thing , i noticed quiet a bit of fuel spraying out of the front of the carb - airfilter side.. i have fuel spray up to the battery case :confused:

shouldn’t this dern engine suck the fuel in, not blow it out ??? what the heck :confused:

anyway, maybe someone has a clue, of what i need to look at next ?

ohh.. i also noticed, that when i pull on the cord, it feels like good compression, but when i hold my finger on the spark plug hole and i pull, it does not realy blow my finger of the hole ??

just to answer one of the earlier questions: the gasket on the intake does line up with the bottom hole of the carb

rampage idiot

dieselsubmariner said:
ok... i tried the guide with no success.i tried new plugs. noticed on one new plug the spark was less than on an other one. used the good one.. no start.

I pulled the side cover off, checked the ignition coil gap (there is no adjustment on it anyway) and i checked the alignment of the flywheel magnet in relationship to the piston position. seems to be ok, so i do not believe the flywheel came loose.

But here is what i did noticed : im getting fuel out of the airfilter side of the carb. plug does not foul and engine does not seem to be flooded. after trying to start that thing , i noticed quiet a bit of fuel spraying out of the front of the carb - airfilter side.. i have fuel spray up to the battery case :confused:

shouldn’t this dern engine suck the fuel in, not blow it out ??? what the heck :confused:

anyway, maybe someone has a clue, of what i need to look at next ?

ohh.. i also noticed, that when i pull on the cord, it feels like good compression, but when i hold my finger on the spark plug hole and i pull, it does not realy blow my finger of the hole ??
The coil is adjustable but by what you are saying about the gas out the intake side I would be inclined to believe maybe you bent or sheared the flywheel key, if you have a flywheel puller I would pull it and check. If you loosen the coil screws you will see the coil is slotted

when i took the coil off, i noticed this coil only has round holes.. no slots.. so it is a fixed distance to the flywheel. but the distance is correct.

when i said its spitten fuel out of the intake side, i mean i have some small fuel spray out of the carburator towards the front of the vehicle..

almost like the engine would be backwards... :confused:

( i know sounds stupid.)

i am tempted however to pull the flywheel and see, if it has moved....

Deluge

You have carb issues, dude. Probably could use a good cleaning. Usually when you get fuel coming out of the air filter side of the carb, it's due to debris getting into it.

local150

did you ever get it running? what was the problem

Deluge

dieselsubmariner said:
carb issue ?.... :confused: thats what i had initially and that is why i bought a brand new walbro and and a new intake manifold
That's right. You replaced it. What else have you replaced on it?

delta_kilo

I have a DR and I have installed a Walbro 990 carb. So it now doesn't have a chock. Even though a lot of others say they can easily start there 990 carbed engines with 3 to 5 pulls, I can pull mine 10 or so times before it'll start. Runs great when it's warmed up but starting cold she doesn't like it.

So my solution became to have a can of starter fluid on hand and I spray a little on the air filter and then pull away. Normally then within 2 pulls it will start up.

For testing take the air filter off and spray a little start fluid into the carb. If it doesn't fire up then you may have a spark issue. It's pretty easy to check for spark. Take the plug out put the plug wire on the plug (do not have any part of your hand on the medal of the plug) hold the plug by the black plug cap make sure the spark plug tip touches the engine head. Now pull the cord and it'll be very easy to pull with no compression making sure the spark plug stays in contact with the head and look for a small spark. If you see spark your golden. If not change the plug with a new one and try again.

Hope this helps.

andyken

delta_kilo said:
Take the plug out put the plug wire on the plug (do not have any part of your hand on the medal of the plug) hold the plug by the black plug cap make sure the spark plug tip touches the engine head. Now pull the cord and it'll be very easy to pull with no compression making sure the spark plug stays in contact with the head and look for a small spark. If you see spark your golden. If not change the plug with a new one and try again.Hope this helps.
I recomend to hold the plug against the head, but far away from the hole.

The side of the head or the exhaust bolt.

A friend didn't do that with a dirt bike, left over gas spit out...spark was good, and boom his face was on fire. [no sh!t]

I've also seen a fouled plug spark outside the motor, but not in the engine.

Only thing I could figure was the porcelain got wet and shorted it???

But that was dirt bikes....[actually a 70cc 4 stroke].

There isn't alot of adjustment on the coil ...but a +/-of a few thousand's makes a difference.

Deluge

To make starting with the 990 easier, you could richen the LSN a 1/2 turn, yank the pull start until it tries to start, then lean out the LSN a 1/2 turn and it should start right up after that.

i finally put the thing back together and after pulling a while.. checking plugs ... it finally started. adjusted it.. ran great for about 10 min and then just shut off...tried to crank.. no start.. plug looked nice brown color, so the mixture is good..

i let it sit a while, and after about 1/2 hr i tried to start again.. nothing.. after several pulls, the cord broke... got enough of that thing for now.. its sitting back on the shelf

alfred e numan

not shure if you checked- tank vented? - disconnect the gas inlet on the carb - blow air- not with a compressor- there is a nylon-plastic disc behind the felt filter- it has no holes- it admits fuel tru the gaps on the ends. i had one that was built too long- pressed aganst the 2 flat washers on both ends of the filter- just another link in the chain to look at-

alfred e numan

yea, if it has a good plug color while running - then just shuts down, it could just be running out of fuel to the carb. there are so many varables-i have bought new carbs and had them spaz out for a few seconds- then run fine- another thing it could be, the fuel needle could be sticking- this is located under the fuel bulb - under the white plate.- gotta be careful with compressed air on these carbs- pressurize the wrong hole- and the gaskets are ruined.- do not use automotive carb cleaner on these carbs. if you have no compressed air- get to wal-mart- the automotive section, buy a can of crc electronic cleaner-5 bucks- its harmless to the carb- low enough pressure to not wreck the innards of the carb- remove the carb off the engine- yea, it the shits to have to do this- spray every port-hole you can see- the 990 has a brass round tube in the carbs bore- this is a check valve for the main fuel feed- spray the daylights outta it- yea, the plate that holds the fuel bulb is easy to remove-replace- good to spray in this area. - its hard to figure this stuff out on line- spray the daylights out of the on-off switch on the radio box on the cars reciever box- best to remove the 2 screws and remove the switch off the box- put a rag under it, and spray- move the switch back and forth- it could be anything- just saying cause i cannot get my paws actually on the car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts