• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New carb - no start

I am getting frustrated with my DR. :(

After heaving several problems with my engine running, i went ahead and bought a new walbro 668 carb and a new ada manifold with teflon gaskets from ddm.

after unsuccessful starts, i pulled the carb of and noticed the manifold was not sealing , screws were too long. took care of that, put new fuel in and i just can not get it to start. not even an attempt to start. :mad:

I have good spark on the plug and it seems like, it is getting fuel. i used stock adjustment on the crab as recommended.. and anything in between. even dumped all fuel and got fresh premium.. absolutely no start . not even a burb.. nothing...

does anybody uses an additional sealant with the teflon gasket ?

just in case , i also made sure the small bottom hole is lined up and no restrictions on the gasket...

any advice is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Guantanamo Joe

are you sure your fuel lines are not reversed? The pickup is the bottom and the return comes out of the top.

The stock settings should be fine of course, I am not sure why it would not start... how was it running before the carb change?

:mad: :D :eek:

i checked my fuel lines. the shorter one always went to the bottom, the longer one to the top.. guess what.. they reversed :eek:

My return line does go a little down into the tank, which means it does get fuel.. anyway, i changed them around.. still nothing.

i only had it running good maybe 2 times and then it died again.

compression seems to be good, but feels like a little less, than when i got it.

if i want to pull the head, to check the condition inside, do i need new gaskets or are those gaskets re-useable?

just wonder if i might have something else going on ?

Shawn213

another thing you might want to check is make shure you didn't put the manifold on upside down and if you pull off the head you will want to replace the gasket

:mad: :mad:

I had been thinking about the difference in compression, which i noticed since i bought it.

so i just went in my garage, and took the thing apart and pulled the head.. :eek:

the piston ring is stuck on one side of the piston, due to something caused damage to the side . also a scratch in the cylinder.

I noticed a little too much play in the wrist pin.. i pulled it out and when i took the piston of the rod, the bearing fell apart. after inspection i noticed , the bearing housing is broke and has parts missing....... :mad:

Now.. since i bought this thing used, i have no warranty.

As for the repair part, i am sure i can free up the ring and lap the scratch in the piston and head,whithout any further damage. i will pull the lower case apart to clean it completely.

where to i get a new bearing ? or what would you guys recommend, besides draining the fuel and use the damn thing as a display ?

I do Not want to keep pouring money in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
already looking at his page for possible only ordering a gasket set as well as a new bearing

Shawn213

a guy came in the shop the other day he had 2 of the mt's that weren't even a week old, and was having trouble with one not wanting to start. so i whent over everything that it could possibly be it wasn't even trying and finally decided to pull the head and inspect the piston/cylinder. i found that the clip that holds the wrist pin in had snapped, and the part if it that was broken gouged the piston in two seperate places and was completely holding the ring in on the piston and had got lodged in the top of the piston. the guy called redcat and they covered it under warranty and sent him a complete brand new engine

Guantanamo Joe

The gaskets are cheap as hell... get a few of them when you order.

Get the bearing and hopefully you can fix the piston/cylendar. If you can not, the stock replacement pistons and cylendars are not really that expensive. When I busted a head gasket, I replaced the head with an ESP ported head. My Dunerunner is now a beast that can't be stopped!!! :D

getting ready to put in an order at ddm. anyone know the part# for the cy piston pin snap ring? i want to be sure and replace those.

thanks

thanks a lot...

lets hope, thats all i got to buy for now...

one question: is a good sealant recommendet on the teflon gaskets or none at all ?

Deluge

No problem, dude. And you don't want to use sealant on the intake and carb gaskets. Be it Teflon or paper. Sealant will just squeeze out and clog the pulse port.

alfred e numan

Shawn213 said:
a guy came in the shop the other day he had 2 of the mt's that weren't even a week old, and was having trouble with one not wanting to start. so i whent over everything that it could possibly be it wasn't even trying and finally decided to pull the head and inspect the piston/cylinder. i found that the clip that holds the wrist pin in had snapped, and the part if it that was broken gouged the piston in two seperate places and was completely holding the ring in on the piston and had got lodged in the top of the piston. the guy called redcat and they covered it under warranty and sent him a complete brand new engine
i have seen these clips rotate in the piston groove several times. put them in with the ends pointing up- run a few tanks tru - disassemble, and see the clips have rotated 90 degrees or more. only idea i can think of would be to file a sharp edge on the clips ends - to sorta dig into the pistons c-clip groove? Is the steels temper stronger on the zen clips-??

got my new parts in and installed them.

everything back together:)

put fule in... no start.. :eek: changed plug... no start :mad:

i have spark, fuel, air, but no start. carb adjusted to basic settings.

what now ?? :confused:

rampage idiot

If you have spark is it good spark? are you positive you have the teflon gasket on right and not blocking pulse port? did you try old carb to see if it would start? sure you have good compression?with what you said about what happened I would be leary about the motor, did you take pics of the damage that would help alot!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts