• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New carb - no start

Deluge

How did you end up fixing the cylinder damage?

Have you tried a compression test? Put a few drops of oil down the cylinder and try to start it. If it runs and then dies, your compression is crap.

rampage idiot

delta_kilo said:
I have a DR and I have installed a Walbro 990 carb. So it now doesn't have a chock. Even though a lot of others say they can easily start there 990 carbed engines with 3 to 5 pulls, I can pull mine 10 or so times before it'll start. Runs great when it's warmed up but starting cold she doesn't like it. So my solution became to have a can of starter fluid on hand and I spray a little on the air filter and then pull away. Normally then within 2 pulls it will start up.

For testing take the air filter off and spray a little start fluid into the carb. If it doesn't fire up then you may have a spark issue. It's pretty easy to check for spark. Take the plug out put the plug wire on the plug (do not have any part of your hand on the medal of the plug) hold the plug by the black plug cap make sure the spark plug tip touches the engine head. Now pull the cord and it'll be very easy to pull with no compression making sure the spark plug stays in contact with the head and look for a small spark. If you see spark your golden. If not change the plug with a new one and try again.

Hope this helps.
You are definitely playing with fire using ether on a 2stroke now you have no lubrication, trust me ether is not a good answer on a 2stroke, I work on motors every day and I have seen some bad stuff happen with ether! Just my opinion:eek:

the scratches in the cylinder walls were really minimal.. little wetsanding on a half round stick, fixed it.

the piston ring was stuck, but i could get it loose and used small files to fix the groove. the damage on the piston was below the ring.. but nothing major.. like i said before, just enough to stuck the ring..I believe the damage happened when the bearing gave and a pice got jammed toward the ring

I tried a little oil and the compression went up... but still had start issues.

when i cleaned the DR with compressed air, i did a small test and blew air into the exhaust manifold.. if I have a weak piston, it should come out the carb.. but nothing.. only leak i had was right at the exhaust manifold... cold that be an issue for cranking?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts