• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Metal Gears Anyone?

Z

ZielkeRacing

I asked a buddy of mine who works at a machine shop about making gears. He said they could do them but wont know a price until Monday as they are slow and closed until then. He would start out with doing 25's and 35's. If anyone is interested let me know and I maybe can give him an idea of how many too make. The more he makes the less the price.

Z

ZielkeRacing

I am also getting a quote from another friend. There are many machine shops where I live and know half of the people that own them. One is a wire drop and the other would be machined. I may know the machined one yet today. He said that he could do any teeth range, so I just need the quote of the set up and then he can always change the number of teeth... left nut, thats funny right there.

RampageHopUps

There is a reason I am not machining gears you know. By the time you have them done, Redcat will be in stock. Just trying to save you some money.

Z

ZielkeRacing

RampageHopUps said:
There is a reason I am not machining gears you know. By the time you have them done, Redcat will be in stock. Just trying to save you some money.
I didn't know that. What I read everyone was guessing unless I missed something. When will they be in stock?? And do you happen to know which gears?

Z

ZielkeRacing

Just talked with Mike and he asked Darin, they have to test them and could be a month if they do sell them. I will check with my guy and see how much. I just don't want summer to fly by and have no gears thats all. I also know what they would be made out of.

Last edited:

RampageHopUps

If the test gears go bad fast, we will let you know first. My machinist already has all the tools needed and it will take him 3 weeks minimum to get them machined and heat treated.

Like I said before, there is no way I am risking $5,000 to find out the Redcat engineers copied my gears close enough. We sent them sampels from the first batch.

Piranha2

Contributor
Right nut for 29/31 and 25/25 that way he can have an extra set. (of nuts)

Z

ZielkeRacing

RampageHopUps said:
If the test gears go bad fast, we will let you know first. My machinist already has all the tools needed and it will take him 3 weeks minimum to get them machined and heat treated.
Like I said before, there is no way I am risking $5,000 to find out the Redcat engineers copied my gears close enough. We sent them sampels from the first batch.
I'm not sure what you mean by the risk. The machine shop here can do them. If they work from redcat great! I was going to have gears made with the same pitch as the stockers. Just an idea to fix a problem without wondering if anyone was going to make some for sure.

Rammer

RampageHopUps said:
When will they be in stock ?

Will they be sold in sets , or one at a time ?

Will they be hardend steel , or aluminum ?

RampageHopUps

OK, here is the deal:

1) Zileke spends the next 3-20 weeks figuring out how to make gears. What material are you using? What heat treatment, and how hard? How many will you make? 100 sets x $75 a set = $7,500 Who pays for the gear hobb tooling? Is the material available in your area, or do you have to ship it in?

2) 4 weeks from now Redcat comes out with gears that cost the same or half the price and work just as well. Guess who wins?

Do you have $7,500 to let sit in your garage for who knows how long?

RampageHopUps

Rammer said:
When will they be in stock ?
Will they be sold in sets , or one at a time ?

Will they be hardend steel , or aluminum ?
No idea, I will ask Darin for official details in the morning. They have a set of RAMTech gears, so hopefully they copied those. Hardened steel.

Z

ZielkeRacing

Sorry to piss you off rob, just an idea and yes they have the material as they make gears for many things that are hardend and they already have the tools. Thats there everyday job. I have to pay for the set up on specs. anyways...

Z

ZielkeRacing

I have nothing to figure out, thats what these guys do for a living. I don't think it will take that long by a long shot.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts