• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Looking at getting a Dji v2 for Hero 4

MT Builder

Advertiser
Vendor
I'm in the market for getting into the Dji flying word even considering the inspire 1 as well. Please let me know if you or someone you know has one.

phreerider

i do not have one but am looking , currently more of a sport flyer "custom race FPV" is my current direction, (not race or gps stuff) just sport fly. training with ominus by dromida has been fun.

do you fly ?

MT Builder

Advertiser
Vendor
No, I used to starting rc but that was more than 15 years ago. Now I'm looking into getting some aerial shots of my rc, family and ocean fishing.

rcgasser

I have the older on DJI phantom2 and it has been great super easy to fly you can not mess it up if you tried. The new phantom 3 and the Inspire1 looks like some great machines.

MT Builder

Advertiser
Vendor
Are you able to fly it out of control. Or does it prevent you from flying to steep or fast?

phreerider

with gps, auto level, certainly would make it super easy.

that would not be the unit to learn on,(for sport fly) without auto level (not so much gps ) it truly would out control and gone within seconds.

flying off auto level has been challenging , makes for very fast but tediously unforgiving.

MT Builder

Advertiser
Vendor
I just want to take picktuers and video. Now I'm am looking at the phantom 3 which looks promising. I just don't want to crash it.

rcgasser

MT Builder said:
Are you able to fly it out of control. Or does it prevent you from flying to steep or fast?
Well yes you just have to set it to expert mode then you will have way more control but if you want to take pics and videos its super easy you can not crash it not in expert mode if you feel yourself loosing control just let go of the sticks it will level out and just stay in that one spot until you regain composer and start flying again. I have been flying mine over a year and half now with lots of other people and the only crash I have seen and it was not really a crash it just landed way out in a high field not were he wanted to land and that was because he put in a battery that was not fully charge it had enough juice to take him very high up away but not enough to fly so it landed straight down from were the battery was weak. You will enjoy it very much.

blak__jak

you can't go wrong with a phantom vision 3 but a couple things you may want to rethink are if you go with a gopro they do make a gimbal to fit it but you'll have to buy everything separately and it in the end will cost you more. also the dji camera is made to work with the phantoms radio and software and the specs aren't all that different compared to the gopro but if your set on going that way go for it. the other thing I would suggest is that you buy yourself a cheap quad to practice with.you can pickup a syma x5c for 40 to 60 bucks on ebay or almost anywhere else for that matter and they have pretty much the same feel in the air so if you haven't flown one before it's an inexpensive way to learn. the only thing that's bad about the x5c is that it doesn't do well in the wind but you can make it better by removing the camera and you'll get longer flight times. on the up side the x5c is small enough and handles well enough to fly indoors so your never limited by the weather. in the end the vision 3 is a great choice and you won't be disappointed. good luck and happy flying. one last thing. if you want to skip something like the x5c don't worry like someone else said phantoms are awful hard to crash but the cheapo's can be a lot of fun themselves and you can let your friends fly them and not worry about your 1000 dollar investment.

MT Builder

Advertiser
Vendor
I am now planning on just going with a phantom 3 with 4k camera. And just use my GoPro for ground video. I sure hope I can catch on flying quick. I plan on using it this summer in Seattle for fishing boat rides. Any info or help on setting up a new p3 after it comes out would be great. Also I'm not that tech savvy so how hard is it to set all the video up. On like my iPad or cell phone for real time flight video.

MT Builder

Advertiser
Vendor
That would be good for me. So it looks like I'll keepmthe gopro for ground use and the Dji for aerial use. Do you think DDM will get the phantom 3?

blak__jak

one site you might want to check out is this one. http://www.acesdeals.biz/apps/webstore/products/show/5835734 I don't know if they mention it on their site or not or if they're still doing it but I know for a while they were giving away free skins if you placed your order by phone and let me tell ya an all white phantom on a sunny day can get away from you in a blink of the eye lights or no. it's a whole different story a night. the lights are hard to miss. as for real time video it's a snap. just got to download app on smart phone or tablet. pretty easy to go from there but that's another way you can easily loose track of your baby. look a the video a second to long and it's gone but that's another good thing about the phantom if that happens and you get out of range or your battery gets low it automatically goes in to return home mode and comes back and lands wherever it took off from. there is actually a switch you can flip to put it in that mode also or if you turn your radio off or drop it and it fails for any reason after a few minutes of sweating magically your lost puppy comes running back home to daddy. something else you'll like for filming those fishing trips is that the v3 has a follow me mode so you can get it to chase you around just like that old faithful dog does. as I said before you just can't go wrong with a phantom. you won't be sorry. you'll notice the site I gave you up front also includes an extra battery in the deal. that's something you'll want as many as you can get of because once you master this thing you won't ever want to quit flying it. your wife will be looking for a divorce because you're never around or if she's like mine she will just be happy to get you out of her hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

blak__jak

even though they still call this a vision 2 I'm pretty sure this is the newest model. you'll notice in description it says v.3

phreerider

MT builder i was in the exact same quandary about "WHAT TO GET".

the video and FPV all super deluxe cool stuff, but a trainer drone "mini" class was the ticket. before i dropped $5K+ for cinematic drone. with all the GPS/ auto features its easy, not something to worry about...BUT

2 things that are real points of concern and it has nothing to do with all the feature heavy DJI stuff and deluxe camera vid hardware because its all great, smart phone ready blah,blah,blah.

---->DUDE get a mini drone to learn to fly. get hand full of batteries and go! and they're outdoors /indoors either one. besides the mountain of fun. they're tough and hobby grade . teaches alot about drone behavior speed, space, momentum and wind. it will make you a competent flyer...so heavier, more powerful hardware with all the techy stuff will seem boring in full auto mode, and thats what u want.

---->you really have got to be into vids and pics ...you have to be into the edit and vid USE. otherwise its a gigabit eating monster that you'll hate. the vids are cool when they' re easy quick clip OR you have help someone to manage the data for you. i have been through a bucket full of gopro cameras..and taken alot of stuff but you'll quickly realize the mountain of TIME editing required to turn out good usable stuff. there are short cuts but still a hassle(unless your already into the whole edit thing). if you are down for the WHOLE vid thing , get a couple of tetrabit drives, editing software( mac seems to be the easiest ) if you don't already have them.

this is a great little unit . its brushed so don't let that put you off. reliable, tough, easy repairs simple . has nice range and tunable rates , AUTO LEVEL on /off. for the $ hard to be beat.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dromida+ominus+quadcopter&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=4964183648&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4y8lvlmyyv_e

and rc buyers warehouse has super cheap parts.

thats my experience and glad i did that way before i went for the cinematic drone hardware that may have partially gone unused

Last edited by a moderator:

therealrsr

It's more $ than the dromida, but if looking for a fun trainer I LOVE my qx200 with the rakon frame for a sport/fpv racer. This is not me, but the same set-up. And he's a better pilot (braver might be more accurate).

phreerider

the FPV stuff is cool, currently working on a custom 250 racer myself . i am definitely line of sight sport pilot, though i'm told FPV is easier. guess we'll see!

the qx200 is way(hardware and $) more than the ominus and a very nice set up indeed fun stuff man!

the FPV races are manic low! like a meter the whole time and crazy fast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts