• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HY Engines

amstel78

Is the HY engine that comes with my XB the same as CY engines?

xscrick

Banned
pretty much as far as i can tell,, just a cy clone engine,,,and a cy engine is generally a copy of a zenoah.... most parts between the engines are interchangeable,,,,,,, someone correct me if im wrong,,

G

Correct. Very similar. Clutch bolts for HY & CY are the same. Zens are different.

Deluge

The mounting holes on the Zen's are a bit different, as well. A CY flywheel cover fixes that, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inertia Racing Products

amstel78 said:
Out of curiosity, what aftermarket engines are available that are a direct bolt on?
well amigo thats a loaded question..Lol

pretty much any of them are drop in or can be made to do so..

basically its a matter of the clutch housing, the piece that bolts to the motor.

the Zenoahs have a different length tab at the bottom than the CY, this is the area that the bolt goes through the chassis into the housing...a simple swap of this housing will make them all fit.

i personally have gone through all the stages of the motor deal over the years, bone stockers, aftermarket complete motors, long blocks, and even got into my own porting and timing for awhile...

the bottom line in todays world, versus years past, a select few of the aftermarket guys have gotten very good at building quality motors with great power and they live..

we went through a stage where they were mostly hand grenades, but with time, trial and error, and the advances in CNC that some builders are doing they are much improved.

at this point if i were you, i would run the stocker until she blows, in the meantime do as much homework and research as you can to find you a good aftermarket motor that suits your driving style and wants.

keep in mind while hunting the beast down, everyone has thier own opinions on so called Brand Name Motors, some blindly follow a certain brand wether or not they are worth a damn or not.

again i strongly suggest spending alot of time researching before pulling the trigger and don't get caught up in " media " machine of some of the so called great motors....

if / when we get together i can show you 1st hand a wide range of motors in different cars, anywhere from a cheap " off the shelf " , to a full blown super high end, custom 1 off built ,and you can make the call from there.

G

amstel78 said:
Out of curiosity, what aftermarket engines are available that are a direct bolt on?
The CY is an exact bolt in.

The Zens need the clutch case and the flywheel cover. Both can be swapped with your stock engine.

If you buy a engine from a engine builder for example OBR you can specify CY clutch case and flywheel cover to make it a direct bolt in.

amstel78

Hey IRP, thanks for the great post!

I don't have any intention of swapping mills for now. My motor hasn't even been fully broken in yet. I intend to follow your advice and run it until can't be run anymore. After that, I'll look into different engines.

In general though, how are the HY engines in terms of overall quality and durability? Will my time with this power plant be short lived? I have experience with 2 strokes as I ride 2 stroke dirt bikes and tend to tune towards a slightly rich side. I plan on maintaining the stock HY as well as I maintain my Kawasaki's...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

In general though, how are the HY engines in terms of overall quality and durability? Will my time with this power plant be short lived? I have experience with 2 strokes as I ride 2 stroke dirt bikes and tend to tune towards a slightly rich side. I plan on maintaining the stock HY as well as I maintain my Kawasaki's...
I've only replaced them for my need for speed. They are a decent engine.

Inertia Racing Products

np amigo..

man if you asked this question 3 years ago i would have told you you have a short life span ahead of you, but i must admit since CY and HY have improved the plating the damn things actually live if you use a quality oil and stay on top of the tune..

its funny man i have an old 2 bolt CY that i have run the guts out of, literally , and the stupid thing wont die.

i actually have it labled " old faithful " on the box , in my storage wall unit.. if / when i pop other motors it goes in until i replace the popped motor..

as for tune i run all of my stuff on the ragged edge, literally just off too lean, i run rot gut 87 octane pump gas and castor 927 @ 25:1, even in the stupid money custom motor.

amstel78

I run 87 octane as well in the bikes and now the HY. I do use a good synthetic 2 stroke oil though and never had a problem. I tune for a slightly rich mixture as a base point but will compensate for temperature and altitude changes. I've never blown a motor this way and rarely foul a plug.

I did notice the plug gap on the spark plug included with the HY was too narrow though. After a regap she runs great.

One issue now though is that after the engine warms, it bogs a bit at the low end so i'm going to adjust the low speed screw plus vent the tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

G

One issue now though is that after the engine warms, it bogs a bit at the low end so i'm going to adjust the low speed screw plus vent the tank.
That can be hard to get rid of with the stock carb.

larryo

Hi what about the clutch spring is getting bad and coming on sooner were the engine is not pulling the rpm for power or torque?

RCDAD said:
That can be hard to get rid of with the stock carb.

G

larryo said:
Hi what about the clutch spring is getting bad and coming on sooner were the engine is not pulling the rpm for power or torque?
The clutch springs can fade when they get hot. I haven't heard of any Redcat owners have this problem with the open clutch. The springs also get week over time, but normally not before the pads are shot.

amstel78

xscrick said:
pretty much as far as i can tell,, just a cy clone engine,,,and a cy engine is generally a copy of a zenoah.... most parts between the engines are interchangeable,,,,,,, someone correct me if im wrong,,
What kind of plating is used in the HY cylinder? Is it Nikasil or are these engines sleeved?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts