• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! Jet-Pro pipe coupling melted!

jandmt

Went to the auto parts store and found a product called VesaChem tiger patch. It's a silicone and fiberglass tape that is meant for air tight repairs of cracks and holes on just about any part of the exhaust system. Rated at 1900F. Seems like 2 layers of this stuff and a layer of self fusing silicone tape (500F rating) should do the trick.

Phill

jandmt said:
One more question on the jet pro rear pipe (to those of you that have it installed)I can't make the rear bumper hole line up if I insert the muffler all the way into the header. I have to leave it out by 1/4" so the hole lines up. Is this normal? Or should I be able to push the pipe all the way i to the manifold and still be able to line up the hole?
Thats normal

Its why you have a coupler

jandmt

Thanks Phill.

so I took a piece of pipe and wrapped 2 layers of tiger patch on it and 4 layers of self fusing silicone tape next to it. then I heated up the pipe with a propane torch to see how each of the 2 react to heat.

The Tiger Patch stuff isn't good for this application. It hardens to fiberglass consistency and will crack loosing its seal when the pipe heats and flexes. it also stained the pipe. Not good if you need to remove your pipe and put it back on.

But the good news is, the self fusing silicone tape worked like a charm. I heated the pipe to 500F and it still wasn't melting or cracking. The jet pro coupler starts melting at 350F. So this is a major improvement!

After it cooled down, I cut the silicone off the pipe using a box cutter and it came of very easy. I think we have a winner. I did find a vendor online who sells 600F silicone tape, Ill change to that when its delivered. Every bit helps.

jandmt

SUCCESS!!!!!!! The self fusing silicone tape works like magic! I am a very happy camper.

I wrapped about 5 layers of said tape stretching it while wrapping to make a very tight coupling. I made both the L and H needles an 1/8 of the turn richer and ran it for half a tank at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Checked the temp at the silicone coupling and it never went hove 320F.

I refilled fuel and ran it another 1/2 tank at mostly full throttle. Did 10 passes down the street and checked temp at silicone coupling (I repeated this for half a tank) and it never went above 350F at the coupling. With a rating of 500F.

With a rating of 500F it should outlast the Jet-Pro 350F rated coupling a 1000 times over.

Now more good news! If you stretch and wrap this tightly around the joint overlapping about 1.5" on either side of the joint, you do NOT need to use any hose clamps! It seals so tightly that it doesn't need it.

Now here are some pics. I would have done a better job with the wrapping if I had removed the pipe and the manifold and wrapped it off the car, but I really didn't feel like removing the manifold and tearing the gasket.

Thanks for everyones help! Car runs like a bat out of hell and this pipe sounds like a F1 car at full throttle. I love this pipe!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jandmt

Auto parts. Home improvement stores. It's called self fusing silicone tape. Also called rescue tape and emergency silicone tape. Just make sure it's 500F rated.

It only sticks to itself. Does not leave any residue. Once you stretch and wrap it, it can never become undone. It has to be cut off. It really does fuse to itself and become a very tightly sealed silicone coupling.

jandmt

topblissgt said:
pics/?? They never showed up
You can't see the pics in Post #24? image.jpg

image.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/image.jpg.17d614c8df788faf0e48dd1cb1676dda.jpg

Phill

jandmt said:
SUCCESS!!!!!!! The self fusing silicone tape works like magic! I am a very happy camper.

I wrapped about 5 layers of said tape stretching it while wrapping to make a very tight coupling. I made both the L and H needles an 1/8 of the turn richer and ran it for half a tank at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Checked the temp at the silicone coupling and it never went hove 320F.

I refilled fuel and ran it another 1/2 tank at mostly full throttle. Did 10 passes down the street and checked temp at silicone coupling (I repeated this for half a tank) and it never went above 350F at the coupling. With a rating of 500F.

With a rating of 500F it should outlast the Jet-Pro 350F rated coupling a 1000 times over.

Now more good news! If you stretch and wrap this tightly around the joint overlapping about 1.5" on either side of the joint, you do NOT need to use any hose clamps! It seals so tightly that it doesn't need it.

Now here are some pics. I would have done a better job with the wrapping if I had removed the pipe and the manifold and wrapped it off the car, but I really didn't feel like removing the manifold and tearing the gasket.

Thanks for everyones help! Car runs like a bat out of hell and this pipe sounds like a F1 car at full throttle. I love this pipe!!!!!
How did you manage to get the tape past the shock and tower or did you take them off first?

jandmt

No, didn't take them off. Patience, patience, and more...... oh you know!

I didn't do the entire thing in 1 piece. I would cut off a 4" piece, wrap it, then do another to build up a thick coupling. Been holding up great!

Strech, wrap, pass by shock tower, stretch, wrap and repeat.

Phill

jandmt said:
No, didn't take them off. Patience, patience, and more...... oh you know!I didn't do the entire thing in 1 piece. I would cut off a 4" piece, wrap it, then do another to build up a thick coupling. Been holding up great!

Strech, wrap, pass by shock tower, stretch, wrap and repeat.
Thanks

I was wondering what width are you working with?

jandmt

I thick it's 1" wide. Bit when you stretch it while wrapping it shrinks to 1/2 to 3/4"

Phill

jandmt said:
I thick it's 1" wide. Bit when you stretch it while wrapping it shrinks to 1/2 to 3/4"
Thanks

Apparently you can also get a 2" width but he 1" is probably easier to handle in a tight space

jandmt

1" works great. Just build up a 1/4" layer about 3" wide and it should be good to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts