• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! Jet-Pro pipe coupling melted!

jandmt

Problem solved, see post #24

Hey guys. Got my dune runner in today. Installed all the upgrades I had bought for it. Got it started and ran it for about half a tank, then noticed a melted plastic and rubber smell.

Well the silicone hose/coupling that joins the manifold and the pipe melted.

Any idea why this is? Am I running too lean? too rich?

Here are some pics of the spark plug after running half a tank through her.

76F8C4EF-6A3A-4B32-990E-8FB086BD6D8D.jpg

AB5FC0BF-5E07-47FA-AE07-4BEC4774F9F7.jpg

27316DEF-2468-4484-A580-9981BC25D189.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

Are you still breaking it in??? or you have tuned it?? With installing the jet pro pipe I would have richen the needle some you plug should be lil wet it you are breaking it in still. Did you set the needles to base setting when you first raned the DR. You are running too hot if you melt the coupling already. Also did you install a header on the pipe this will help the pipe run cooler also.

rcgasser

Also are you running the rear mount jet pro? Are you running the silencer?

Phill

rcgasser said:
Are you still breaking it in??? or you have tuned it?? With installing the jet pro pipe I would have richen the needle some you plug should be lil wet it you are breaking it in still. Did you set the needles to base setting when you first raned the DR. You are running too hot if you melt the coupling already. Also did you install a header on the pipe this will help the pipe run cooler also.
Hi rc

By header I assume you mean a heat sink?

Unfortunately there's not enough room for one on the DR.

It's a very tight fit and takes a bit of fiddling to get the pipe away from the wing and left rear shock.

rcgasser

Thanks for correct thing that I was trying to say. I was all wrong the header is the part directly off the motor into the pipe. I asked if it was the rear pipe because I run one on mine http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1650/.f and I do know before I raned one I was burning up silicone also, but that was after I had run it for about a tank wide open not just calmly running around.

jandmt

yes, that was the first tank through the DR. Should I richen up the low or high needle? Or both? And how much?

Phill

rcgasser said:
Thanks for correct thing that I was trying to say. I was all wrong the header is the part directly off the motor into the pipe. I asked if it was the rear pipe because I run one on mine http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1650/.f and I do know before I raned one I was burning up silicone also, but that was after I had run it for about a tank wide open not just calmly running around.
How did you manage to fit it in?

rcgasser

I would check first to make sure that it is on the base and set it there and run first to see if that is better.

rcgasser

Phill said:
How did you manage to fit it in?
Did not do anything special just put it on here are pics of how I was running it at first, as you see in the pics I had already burned through a coupling that is not the one that comes with it.

But as I look at it now it has one on there.

Phill

rcgasser said:
Also phill are you running your shocks in the top hole? Because that is were mine are.
No mine are in the bottomTop is better?Do you have a pic with the heat sink on?This is mine is Jetpro side.jpg

Jetpro Rear.jpg

Jetpro side.jpg

Jetpro Rear.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/583c607139a34_Jetproside.jpg.120505e4cd6ec82b25ceb3a66cf23b87.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/583c60713b69b_JetproRear.jpg.1de6620a591a1de3c1684c5400ce90ac.jpg

jandmt

The owner of jetpro responded to my email, and told me to use a product called muffler bandage. I found one at the auto parts store good to 800F which is way better than the 350F turbo coupling he includes with his pipes! Also, self fusing silicone tape might work, it's rated at 500F. And if you look hard enough, you can find it in 600F version form powder coating supply places.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PER0/80331/N0073.oap?ck=Search_N0073_-1_-1&pt=N0073&ppt=C0022

jandmt

One more question on the jet pro rear pipe (to those of you that have it installed)

I can't make the rear bumper hole line up if I insert the muffler all the way into the header. I have to leave it out by 1/4" so the hole lines up. Is this normal? Or should I be able to push the pipe all the way i to the manifold and still be able to line up the hole?

rcgasser

The idle screw is not the low needle that is 2 different adjustment the idle screw is the big sliver screw I would richen the low speed needle. I would not want to be that brown yet just on break in.

Last edited by a moderator:

jandmt

rcgasser said:
The idle screw is not the low needle that is 2 different adjustment the idle screw is the big sliver screw I would richen the low speed needle. I would not want to be that brown yet just on break in.
Got it. Will do. 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn counterclockwise?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts