• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HPI Baja 5b rear hubs on Rampage XB/XT

glm308

Contributor
Not sure if anyone is interested or not but I modified the Rampage XB to accept the HPI Baja 5b rear hub assemblies. It was a very easy mod. and only required about 10 minutes per side to complete.

1. Remove Rampage hubs and bearing holders

2. Drill the rear outer "A" arm hinge pin hole to .250" This can be done very easily with a cordless drill and 1/4" bit.

3. Using the Baja 5b lower hinge pin and hub assembly install them as you would with the rampage XB setup.( You will need a shim to take up the slight difference between the width or the rampage arms and the Baja 5b hub for me this was about 1/4-5/16"

4 Remove the upper outside ball link from the Rampage upper arms, replace this with the one from the HPI Baja 5b.

after completing this mod I have had little to no problems with my rear bearings or any slop with the rear hubs. Best of all it will allow you to run Hpi wheels with out modification.

I will get some pictures up if anyone is interested.

Here is a list of the parts you will need to do this mod.

I suggest using the Integy Rear hub Assembly because it comes with bearigns and hubs and hinge pins:

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=16865&p_catid=126&ratesortby=New#.U2Ahllf4eac

HPI-86488

HPI-102157

HPI-85465

Greg

chapinb

Pics yes please. Always interested in new mods.

How does changing the axle carrier allow baja wheels? You have the same stub axle.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

You would have to change the axles also.

glm308

Contributor
Axles are rampage, hubs are HPI. The redcat Axles are slightly smaller at the ball end but the pin length is almost exactly the same. I just see it wearing out the hubs quicker than with hpi axles would. I will get some pictures up in little bit when I get home and settled.

Greg

glm308

Contributor
To better explain the answers to your questions I have uploaded the pictures. With these rear HPI Hubs and Bearing holder the axle is in the same place as the factory Redcat setup was. In the second picture you can see the spacer I used for the slight difference between the Redcat lower control arm and the width of the HPI bearing carrier. The entire bearing holder and stub axle is the HPI. the lower pin is now HPI and the ball end for the upper is HPI. The adjuster for the top is the same size and pitch thread as HPI so I was able to just screw it right on to set camber.

The nice thing about this set up is you can now adjust toe with the hub instead of the control arm as it was before with Redcat setup.

I have beat on this for a entire weekend with no bearing or cup issues. I am also running a stuffed crank CY F270 motor with this setup.

Greg

G

So those are the MT/DR axles. The X series axles are too small in diameter.

glm308

Contributor
Deluge said:
They're HPI axles.
Dog Bone is Rampage xb

lower control arm is Rampage xb

Stub axle/hub is HPI

Bearings are HPI

Bearing Holder is HPI

Lower hinge pin is HPI

upper outer ball link is HPI.

The Rampage dog bone is slightly smaller at the ball end but the pin length is the same. Only issue with the ball end being smaller is there is little more movement in the dog bone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts