• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

First time at full speed and...

Vantic

Finally finished breaking in my XB (first 1/5 scale), vented the gas tank and took it out for a spin in the dirt at full speed :eek:

Jumped this, spun a doughnut, zipped here and there. Then I heard a sound like a soda can being munched. Drove it in for a pit stop, engaged the gearbox with my foot stopping the car, no sound. Shrugged and sent the green beast out some more.

Not to long after it stopped moving, engine still on. I killed the motor and the gearbox continued to spin.

Is that a clutch problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Vantic

G

Most likely a loose set screw on one of the gear mount squares or a drive cup.

Vantic

Thanks RC DAD. I'll take a look. I assume I'll have to remove the gear assembly to get to it...

G

To tighten the screws on the drive squares you will have to slide off the gears.

Vantic

Thanks for the input so far. I removed the cover to find a collection of gear tips in my work area. Yup two gears are striped, minor damage to the other two. Is this a known issue of did I "drive it wrong"? Of all the RC I've owned in the past, I've never had such a complete failure of the gear box. :confused:I looked at the bearing holders for stretching, found none. So are their hardened versions of the gears, I was thinking just to replace the plate with the 7075rc version and maybe switch to the belt drive...Looking for input, thanks in advance.Vantic

20140407_195034.jpg

20140407_195034.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/20140407_195034.jpg.3edcba197a6355c180d0adac5c1a0b87.jpg

John Blaze

Make sure the locknut holding the B gear in isn't overtighten to much there should be a bit of play side to side or else the gears will wear out quick prematurely

claude bigelow

Not sure how much your willing to spend, but the demon rc 2 speed is an nice upgrade.

Vantic

How durable is it? I'll totally ready for breaking a a-arm or shock towers, but wasn't ready to lose my gearbox on the first take on "none-break in" gas.

I was going to change the gear plate anyway so that helps with the cost of the two-speed.

What say you? :D

andyken

Vantic said:
Thanks for the input so far. I removed the cover to find a collection of gear tips in my work area. Yup two gears are striped, minor damage to the other two. Is this a known issue of did I "drive it wrong"? Of all the RC I've owned in the past, I've never had such a complete failure of the gear box. :confused: I looked at the bearing holders for stretching, found none. So are their hardened versions of the gears, I was thinking just to replace the plate with the 7075rc version and maybe switch to the belt drive...

Looking for input, thanks in advance.

Vantic
Does it roll?

I had a set screw back out on the shaft that hold the brakes.

It did that to my gears.

G

How durable is it?
The 2-speed is very durable. I have one on a 40lb 5ive mated to a 8hp reed engine. It makes it drive like an 8th scale truck.

Bob V

An ALL TOO familiar sight to me..Coming back after an almost 4 year break from my car sitting on a shelf cuz I burned through so many gears! Now looking into belt drives..

blacksunshine

I'm new to 1/5 scale. Been racing nitro truggys for years. Got my first rampage xb today. I see the belt drive system but can't find one to buy. Rcpitstop is a dead end leading know where. Is it still available and if so where can get it. These big boys are cool as hell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts