• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

diff cup

andyken

Did that and I think it helps.

It busted where the pin goes thru this time.

Where the bevel/planet gear mounts.

G

You might want to contact them on the part.

Have you tried this?

[ame]

[/ame]

Last edited:

timberbill11

Supporting Member
Re; diff cup

The "rc50031" part no from DDM is for the MT according to the parts manual.

The video link and what it contains, as played, Titled "Tempering"" (unless I missed some of it) will result in a part that would be considered "annealed" because it appears that said part is allowed to air cool, which would soften the steel. This is a process often times used to soften previously hardened parts to enable machining.

To properly temper or harden a part it is (in the absence of a temperature controlled heat source) usually heated to a cherry red (dark red rather than bright red) color then quenched in oil for approx. 5 seconds then allowed to air cool from there. Oil is perferred as water will cool at a to rapid rate.

Just fyi,

bill

G

I believe the stock parts can be too brittle, that's why it helps.

rampagemt

Once you temper the cups and I have done it on 3 rigs before I tempered them I snapped at least 7 diff cups at the pin hole. Once I did the tempering I have not busted them No more

timberbill11

Supporting Member
re: Diff Cups

My experience with drive cups has been as follows:

Broke at pin hole so replaced with Part# 710021 (was informed by Redcat that these were an upgrade for the stock (part #50031) ones. Have not broken another since replacing all, both front and rear.

Broke 2 of the #710021 parts at the axle end and machined sleeves to reinforce the cups and have not broken another.

Now after reading RCdads last post I am taking one of each to a source to have the hardness checked. Do not get me wrong, here, I just suffer from a life long ""need to find out"", malady. Curiosity has not killed me, yet!!!!

The 3710021 parts, in my experience at least, have demonstrated a bit of strength over the stock units.

Have fun, I am................................... bill

timberbill11

Supporting Member
re: diff cups

Last post I listed stock XT drive cups as 50031 which is wrong........

Should be #07145.

Me bad.......... sorry.

Bill

timberbill11

Supporting Member
re: Diff Cups

In regards to bashing sessions ..............................

After doing what was written about in this forum, obtaining some quality

aftermarket parts (mostly from 7075rc), machining some of my own, my running times have increased remarkably.

In fact have enjoyed a dozen lengthy sessions on my ice covered pond and not broken a thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bills fun factor = 12 , broken down time = zip.....................

G

timberbill11 said:
My experience with drive cups has been as follows:Broke at pin hole so replaced with Part# 710021 (was informed by Redcat that these were an upgrade for the stock (part #50031) ones. Have not broken another since replacing all, both front and rear.

Broke 2 of the #710021 parts at the axle end and machined sleeves to reinforce the cups and have not broken another.

Now after reading RCdads last post I am taking one of each to a source to have the hardness checked. Do not get me wrong, here, I just suffer from a life long ""need to find out"", malady. Curiosity has not killed me, yet!!!!

The 3710021 parts, in my experience at least, have demonstrated a bit of strength over the stock units.

Have fun, I am................................... bill
That's cool...

I look forward to your findings.

My concern had always been the consistency of the quality on any given product. All of the parts are manufactured and packaged at an overseas factory, so bad ones can make it into the market. This applies to most goods we purchase.

I have had great luck but hear of other peoples issues. I'm sure I don't beat on mine as hard as some do, though.

andyken

I was off road grassy/bumpy.

The rear end was bouncing a lot.

I brought it in to loosen the springs...then 2-3 wheel drive.

The bouncing and on throttle did it I think...?

rampagemt

More then likely the landings when under power is what caused them to go. Mine have went out with hostile mx tires and just grass. So there's many ways

G

No. I don't believe the cups go through a hardening process. It is just the material they are machined from. That's why there is a upgrade cup. It is machined from a better steel.

andyken

Anyone else have rear shock issues?

When on rough terrain the rear hops around .

Tried new 70wt oil, but still bouncy, front seems good.

vpalace

More confused as ever now. Which diff cups do I get? 07145 or 710021?

And which part number for the dog bone?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.