• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Current Favoured motor options with Stock ESC & 6S

strodedawg

WAY said:
So what is the answer? :)
i think a little trial and error is needed. buy a couple pinions run a few laps or bash for a minutes or two and check temps. thats sort of how i did it with electric 8th scale when it was first getting big and you'll find what gearing works for your set-up. also 50mph+ is a strain also, not saying it can't be done without failures, but i am more of a track guy and 50mph is too much to use on the tracks at least in my area. i an geared 14/48 8s baja tires and have been clocked at 36mph down the straight. yes they are faster on the the straight than i am, but i run cool, have great punch and don't have to worry about overdriving it.

WAY

14/48 on Baja tyres? If you had a big space that would surely be running 60mph? Im assuming you are running 1717. How long is the straight? I'm purely a basher, normally running on a big grass field. Yeah only way is to test it out myself - if others havent already tried it. Just want to start with a base line.

krashkrieg

Contributor
WAY said:
14/48 on Baja tyres? If you had a big space that would surely be running 60mph? Im assuming you are running 1717. How long is the straight? I'm purely a basher, normally running on a big grass field. Yeah only way is to test it out myself - if others havent already tried it. Just want to start with a base line.
Hey WAY, with stock tires that would put Strodedawg at 40 mph according to the scriptasylum speed calc...Running baja type it puts it closer to 45 at 4v / cell

(thats 14/48 with the 720 kv motor) Perfect for a track scenario...

WAY

I love it how you guys can calculate such things! Can I ask if you can calculate the no of pinion teeth required for 50mph on 48t spur and both stock and Baja wheels? Pretty please? :) on 6s btw.

G

I'm still waiting on my motor (Turnigy 5692) but with Baja wheels an 11 or 12 tooth pinion with the 48 tooth spur should be safe. I plan on picking up some additional size pinions to try.

bigfol

RCDAD said:
I'm still waiting on my motor (Turnigy 5692) but with Baja wheels an 11 or 12 tooth pinion with the 48 tooth spur should be safe. I plan on picking up some additional size pinions to try.
You'll be buying a 16t in no time once that motor finally arrives..... :)

Who ever is buliding these HK black motors know what they are doing I got a small 3800kv motor for a little 1/16 buggy I got for my son, fantastic quallity and runs so much cooler than the original motor, you won't be disappointed when it finally gets to you..........I hope it arrives soon. Have you called them and asked for a eta?

WAY

I wish the HK motor is available!

G

...I hope it arrives soon. Have you called them and asked for a eta?
No, haven't called them. Most of the time when something is bakordered, they just try to tell you something you want to here. LOL

ninjagaiden

Guys

thanks for the useful input. I've ordered a leopard 4082 1600 as this comes in close to a Castle 1520 in can dimensions and kv. Will see how I get on at 6s with stock wheels and gentle esc settings. Saw a guy from modelsport uk forum running the Leopard 4074 on a track and it burnt out after 2 laps so not sure how the 4082 will do.

To my eye the leopard and turnigy 5692s seem uncannily similar. is there really that much difference between the 1000kv turnigy black can and the equivalent leopard?

WAY

Ok I have been reading heaps about this topic and I've decided on what to do. I'm going to keep my stock ESC and just get a Leopard 5692 1340kv. I'll run 11/48 and dual 6S in parallel. Should get me over 50mph and keep reasonably cool.

One think I'm confused about though. Is the standard wheels larger or smaller in diameter than that of a Baja 5b?

krashkrieg

Contributor
WAY said:
Ok I have been reading heaps about this topic and I've decided on what to do. I'm going to keep my stock ESC and just get a Leopard 5692 1340kv. I'll run 11/48 and dual 6S in parallel. Should get me over 50mph and keep reasonably cool. One think I'm confused about though. Is the standard wheels larger or smaller in diameter than that of a Baja 5b?
That's what I run and and it's sweet! plenty of balance 'tween speed and power. If you want to rock n roll at the track use a 10 tooth....you be kicking gas *ss all day long.

look @ hobbyking 5000 mah 6s, you can get the regulars for like $80 ea.

WAY

krashkrieg said:
That's what I run and and it's sweet! plenty of balance 'tween speed and power. If you want to rock n roll at the track use a 10 tooth....you be kicking gas *ss all day long.look @ hobbyking 5000 mah 6s, you can get the regulars for like $80 ea.
Cool! May I ask what you did with your motor mount? Kershaw or 7075RC? And what has the experience been like? I'll look into the hobby king 6s. Most of my batts are Turnigy stuff anyway and I have no issue with them.

bigfol

WAY said:
Cool! May I ask what you did with your motor mount? Kershaw or 7075RC? And what has the experience been like? I'll look into the hobby king 6s. Most of my batts are Turnigy stuff anyway and I have no issue with them.
I have had both mounts, I prefer 7075's mount, they both work well, but 7075 is a cleaner/neater fit and it comes with an excellent gear sealing cover, a must when running these buggies off-road. Kershaws mount will allow you to fit castles 2028 780kv motor if you want down that path. ;)

ninjagaiden

Guys

can you use the 7075rc motor cam for the 5692 with the stock motor mount, or do you have to use the 7075rc mount? Makes a big difference in ipgrade cost, esp when shipping to UK

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts