• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Considering offering a roller

RedcatRacing

Advertiser
Vendor
I mentioned this to Rob and he seemed to like the idea, but would love to get some more feedback as my roller history is not so hot.

We tried rollers with our nitro vehicles and they ended up being a flop but I think a 1/5 roller is a different story.

So here is the plan.

We of course would be able to offer rollers in all vehicle types but lets just talk about the Rampage MT.

Rampage MT, no engine, no radio, no servos.

Preliminary numbers would be MSRP of $599 with a street price probably around $550 or so.

We could also offer it as a kit for about $40 less.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Darin

kryptonite

me? i would do it. i want the kit, no direction, just box-0-parts.. but i think alot like to have the motor case(lower end) to work off of to put there headkits on as thats a pretty in-expensive way. even tho plenty swap out the servo' after the first run, its still nice to be able to plug and go out of the box. and is also a selling point. now i think an upgraded roller "kit" would be nice. maybe if we had an option of artr or an upgraded roller "kit" version(ALUMINUM:)) minus motor to keep it level, for the same or close to the same price.. lowering the price any more then it is may have a reverse effect on future buyers, regourdless of weather it comes with a mill or not.. as much as we want things cheaper, amatures will mainly go for the cheapest they can get.. and from my experiance, amatures are always the first to bitch about quality thus having a negative impact on a growing reputation.. but as stated, if you put it out. I WILL BUY IT!! looking forward to other opinions

yolonda21

Contributor
That is a great idea, I would buy another one in a kit. Talk about good prices , thats the best deal you will ever find on any 1/5 scale. I'm all for it.

Clubin

Banned
A kit would be the way to go. I am sure with a price like stated many of us would buy one just to build it. I am posative if you did a poll, all of us would rather buy a Rampage in kit form over a roller. I think a kit would be realy cool.

Kit would my first choice, second would be the roller, I have everything I need to get it up and going sittting on my shelf.

Real forward thinking Darin.

RedcatRacing

Advertiser
Vendor
Here is the funny thing about a kit.

I was in China a few weeks ago and we went through the whole list of ideas and things we want to do.

For example, lets just say for the sake of a number that my cost on a ABC RTR vehicle is $500. I asked the factory how much would it be if you put it all in a box as parts with no assembly at all. Amazingly enough the great new price is $500.

In China, they do not really figure an expense for assembly. The average factory worker makes about $150 or so per month so assembly is nothing as far as an expense.

So the savings actually comes in the way of the shipping expense from China to the US. If for example 300 RTR Rampages can fit into a container, then we could fit double or maybe even triple that in a container if they were no assembled which results in a savings to our landed cost.

We are playing with a lot of ideas for the large scales and we should start to see some new things coming soon.

Next month we have a very small quantity of the on road version and I will try to get some pics uploaded this week. We are also considering the Rally Car as a great new body was just done.

Thanks for the feedback and once I get more info I will surely share.

Darin

Neverhappy

I would do a kit too. As I'm the budget builder side of the street. I'd buy the kit build it slowly while saving for the other things. For those prices it would be a great Idea. I also agree setup a poll here and lets us vote on it.

pwaicon

Speaking for myself, half the fun of this hobby is building these cars. I love assembling kits, so I think your best bet would be to offer a kit with the engine. The only RTR I have ever purchased that came with good electronics was my LST2, all the others I changed the electronics before I even ran them. I just recently picked up an MT so I won’t be buying another one quite yet. But if I were buying one today and had the option of a RTR, ARTR or a kit, I would without question purchase the kit version.

drillerman

On road huh? Whats different? is it just the body and tire set up or is it entirely different chassis and all? Also keep the blue aluminum coming. more blue please. lol

IMADMAN

Darin,

A little off subject, do you know if the 2nd. optional steering servo mount/set will be offered? If so when and how much.

Now back to to topic.

I think a roller is a great idea. It's an easy way to get people started without them laying out big coin to start. Most RCer's hang on to their elecs. and most have a spare engine stock or otherwise. So if a friend or family member wanted to get started the cost should really help out!

murphyslaw

I would deff do a kit man engine included no radio or servos but upgrade the motor I enjoy puttin a kit together so u know how it works and how to repair it and it is just plain fun maybe include option parts similar to the 5bss ?

jaysyourhandyman

i would like to see that

but from the the way i look at it :rolleyes:

most of the stuff ,out side of the diffs, are upgradeable

so i think a kit with just that, would be best

just chassy,diffs, (out to a rolling chassy) :cool:

Bryan 70546

I think a kit are a roller would be a great idea as popular are these are getting other options like a kit and a roller would probely sell like crazy .I now i would buy a rollers for sure .

kryptonite

I Want A "gang" Of Redcats

ok, i'll make corperate decision. a roller it is!!!! :p i like what everyones saying. it seems like a roller would be a great purchase.. im the kind of rc'er that NEEDS to have may rigs. and keeping invontory on all these diffrent models is a pain and expensive. if a roller was to come out, i wouldnt think twice about selling everything and going strictly redcat. interchangable parts and having multible diffrent classes would be ideal for many of us..mt,tt and onroad/rally seems like a gang of rigs. cant wait to see these plans come together. keep up the good work.

Ron E

Contributor
i have a mt, i'd love to get a tt roller and start a build. lower $ initial investment and can be built the way i want. good idea, so whats the eta?

Bryan 70546

kryptonite said:
should any of us be expecting a roller any time soon, or ever?
Probley not but its nice to know that at least they are thinking of it .I would like a roller for sure .no servos no radio no motor . :D

mooman007uk

Banned
A kit with engine but no electrics, that way you can just throw a ported top end on for an extra $110 , some decent servos and pipe and your good to go.

And make sure it comes fitted with all the parts in the upgrade kit...i'll buy another one if it came like that for sure

kryptonite

im wondering why the mt and not the tt. thye tt is more vesitle for racing and can be packed smaller. i think a motor would be nice, but leaving it out would drop the price enough to get 2. plus its a good excuse to get a zen 26..i bet as soon as i get my tt they will come out with the roller.. :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts