• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Belt drive system video

DemonRC

cordy said:
Demon does this mean your belt drive is kaput? Terminated ?
If his system is viable I will not pursue the belt drive any longer. The reason we prototyped the belt drive was because we were delayed on our CVT drive. Our last revision of the belt drive was similar but we incorporated out own alloy plate. This made the system more expensive than his so we'll just run with what we like best which is the 2 speed.

rcgasser said:
+1 Great question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soembody ask him what kind of belt and what the materials are in this post. If it's a T5 or HTD 5M made or Neoprene and/or polyurethane **WITH a KEVLAR CORE**, it will hold up to a TS reed 30.5 no problem. We used polyurethane/kevlar on our test units. They hold up great. The advantage of polyurethane over neoprene is that it is highly wear resistant. His unit is enclosed so Neoprene is fine. Neoprene does have an advantage too. It's more chemical resistant.

Just be sure that it has a KEVLAR core. I ran out of belts at one time because we only got a few samples of the kevlar belts. So I overnighted some neoprene/fiberglass belts so I could continue running. I had 10x belts ($100 worth) and snapped all 10 within 1 hour. This was with my TS reed 30.5. The quickest I snapped one was right after I turned the car on and hit the throttle. The car jumped about 1 foot and just revved. I thought I forgot to tighten a setscrew or something untill I saw the belt was gone.

Keith81

RCDAD,

When will these be available, and what do you think the cost will be running ?

Shoot me a PM....

Thanks,

Keith

Heavy Chevy

Demon, don't scrap your project. Having options is good for everyone plus you've put so much into it, it would really be a shame.

RCDAD, keep us posted on this new gizmo

:)

G

Soon!!! I will have some pics and videos up. Over all I am happy with the kit. I am sending a kit to another member on the forum. I want an unbiased opinion. I feel the x series plastic gear plate is not strong enough. I have not personally broke one but I have seen posts on them breaking running the stock gear set up. The pulley that mounts on the break shaft will have a lot more latteral pull with the belt verses the gears. It will be recommended that you upgrade to the aluminum or plastic mt plate with the larger bearings. I may put a package together for those who need the upgraded plate.

rcgasser

RCDAD said:
Soon!!! I will have some pics and videos up. Over all I am happy with the kit. I am sending a kit to another member on the forum. I want an unbiased opinion. I feel the x series plastic gear plate is not strong enough. I have not personally broke one but I have seen posts on them breaking running the stock gear set up. The pulley that mounts on the break shaft will have a lot more latteral pull with the belt verses the gears. It will be recommended that you upgrade to the aluminum or plastic mt plate with the larger bearings. I may put a package together for those who need the upgraded plate.
Great news dad keep us posted Cain wait to get that xb body and a couple of these from you this will be great!

Keith81

I cant wait for the belt drive... I don't wanna break my shaft though, and I do bash hard...

Any new videos of this in action RCDAD ???

camo

well... I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but this system, though is clean and simple, fails big time in addressing the biggest problem on the XTs/Bs. That is the lay shaft. If any one builds a one piece lay-shaft that would be the perfect match, with out it you might want to stick to the plastic gears. This is specially true with a the new motor plate of the Xs that has only one bearing instead of two at the lay-shaft end.

alfred e numan

sounds like the inventors of the belt drive need to go back to the drawing board. It would make the xb even lighter- be easy to carry it back to the pits.

Heavy Chevy

camo said:
well... I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but this system, though is clean and simple, fails big time in addressing the biggest problem on the XTs/Bs. That is the lay shaft. If any one builds a one piece lay-shaft that would be the perfect match, with out it you might want to stick to the plastic gears. This is specially true with a the new motor plate of the Xs that has only one bearing instead of two at the lay-shaft end.
I hear ya. I can't see the point of buying anyone's belt drive setup if it doesn't address the layshaft issue.

We need a strong one piece layshaft with these kits

alfred e numan

If memory is correct - i saw a post last year where some fellow welded the layshaft together- also are there other versions of the gear plate on the redcats that would bolt up to the xb? - The belt is American- just need a American to build the idler wheel-2 end pieces. yes i know there is a lot more to this than i understand, it would be so satisfying to see a belt drive kit that said made in America on the box-- say 7075RC where are you??

DemonRC

alfred e numan said:
If memory is correct - i saw a post last year where some fellow welded the layshaft together- also are there other versions of the gear plate on the redcats that would bolt up to the xb? - The belt is American- just need a American to build the idler wheel-2 end pieces. yes i know there is a lot more to this than i understand, it would be so satisfying to see a belt drive kit that said made in America on the box-- say 7075RC where are you??
Ya I welded the layshaft together with a jig I made. It was close to running true but it was just a test. It's not practical because there's no way to remove the bearing by the gear once the brake square is welded on.

We'll get back on the single speed setup in a few months. It probably won't be a belt drive though. I'm waiting on an inbound prototype of a slimline geared system with a slipper.

Challenger

I just wanted to propose insted of a belt why not using a few sprokets and chain.... In my opinion it would be a way much easier to build and also very reliable

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.